Author Topic: Gave Joey his first dose of Medicine this morning.  (Read 5003 times)

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
Gave Joey his first dose of Medicine this morning.
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:48:56 pm »
I gave Joey his first dose of Phenobarbital this morning. He has to take it twice a day. I should start seeing a reduction of seizures in two weeks. He didn't have any seizures last night...I'm relieved!  :)...I'm just going to take it one day at a time for now and sleep on the couch so I can be near to him. I hope this treatment works and that I don't have to add another drug.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

EllieAndBlu

Re: Gave Joey his first dose of Medicine this morning.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:51:48 pm »
Big kisses to brave Joey and lots of hugs to his mom! I can only imagine how difficult this is for you both... I believe better days are soon to come and until then, taking it one day at a time is an excellent approach! Each day without a seizure is a victory for Joey!

k2campbell

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:10:35 pm »
So glad to hear that beautiful Joey went without any seizures yesterday - that is great news ;) I can't imagine how hard this is on the both of you.  Please know we are sending prayers and positive thoughts Joey's way that everything will turn out just fine! ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 06:37:06 am »
I know how hard this adjustment period is!  Living with a dog with epilepsy (or really anybody you love) is full of anxiety and fear.  Try to have a life...Joey's in good hands:  he has you!!  Pheno works for many dogs and you're right:  hopefully you've got it controlled with the first attempt at treatment!  But, if he does seize, don't think of it as a failure, just think of it as a process!  It took a long time to get Cowboy's seizures under control...but we did it (fingers firmly crossed here!!!).  If you need a shoulder, there are several of us here who've gone through it and we're happy to support you!

Good luck and my fingers are crossed for you and Joey!!!

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:33:19 pm »
I cannot say thank you enough for your support. I just need to feel sad for a while. I will get past it...I just never imagined or wanted this for my beautiful Joey.

I rescued him from a foster home when he was five months old. He was a goofy looking puppy with a nose that seemed too big for his face. I fell in love with him right away. He was a little brat and still is but his cleverness just endears him to me and my family because he is full of fun. Here is the cutest pic of him when I brought him home. Enoy!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 11:34:28 pm »
He's gorgeous!!!  and lucky!!!  It's amazing how these guys grab your heart and just never let go!

Merry Christmas to you and Joey....and may it be truly peaceful!!!

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
Thank you
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 01:27:57 pm »
You know...there is just something about a big, lovable dog...they just heal your heart. Thanks for saying that Joey is georgeous. No seizures since Monday night so I think the meds are working...Yeah! Merry Christmas everyone!!! This is a wonderful group of people. Thank you for the support when times are tough. You are a light in the darkness...... .............. ...Georgi

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 08:07:56 pm »
Best wishes to you all and the dog.  It is nerve wracking at first, but it gets better with time and experience.

Our Spotty had occasional seizures for most of his life due to a birth defect in his liver.  The meds helped a LOT, but didn't totally stop the seizures.

Spotty spent his unattended time in a padded crate and portable fenced area, also padded.  If you go that route and your dog is not a chewer, those egg crate foam mattress toppers are very easy to use and keep clean.  I attached them, and a bottom row of cheap pillows, with cage clips.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua