Author Topic: To chop, or not to chop?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
To chop, or not to chop?
« on: December 24, 2006, 02:00:24 am »
I always said I wouldn't neuter Mack till he was 2 or so....but now I am considering... .He is humping EVERYTHING!! We cant even have guests over, because he tries to mount them...or he will get so excited that people are over he will hump anything in the house...the couch...his toys...if he cant find anything to hump he will just stand there and hump the air. Its driving me nuts!! Ive tried spray bottle, I've tried yelling...I don't know what else to do with him!!

Also he is not listening worth a crap! Does neutering really calm them down? Mack gets so wound up he makes himself sick...yesterd ay he threw up 5 times...then pooped on the carpet (he has NEVER pooped indoors)

I don't know what to do :( He is driving me nuts...I will do what is best for him of course, but I just don't know what to do
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

bigdogs@5501

Re: To chop, or not to chop?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 02:05:02 am »
I really think that neutering does calm them down. However, it is not immediatly that you will see the change, because the hormones will still be in his system. I had Jake neutered because he was so aggressive, now he is a big sweetie. Even my husband had noticed that the behaviour has changed and for the better. Thankfully Jake never ever humped anything- I mean he is a big dog and that is just not even a vision that I want to have- ever. Jake was 14 months old, he recovered quickly and is doing great now. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 02:12:00 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I did some reading and apparently if he is just humping to show dominance  then his ...uhh..."bernard part" wont be out...but since it is...I assume it is sexual. If I am going to do it (well not me personally, a vet lol) I would like to do it now, when hes 8 months...becau se the cost rises as he gets bigger...We have laser neutering here...anyone tried that? Is it better/worse than the regular kind?
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 05:17:50 am »
we don't have any experience with laser neutering, if you do it please tell us how it goes!  with axle, he humped EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, and went so far as to bite my hubby's ...um... "parts" out of jealousy / dominance.  then, he ripped hubby's pants when he tried to yank his leg off the couch to hump it.  and then there was the time hubby was walking and axle yanked his leg out from under him, made him fall, and started humping him...  after that, we all agreed it was time to get him "fixed" and boy, did it ever FIX him!  he doesn't hump anymore, and is very mellow, especially compared to the heathen he was when he was younger.  we got him done at about 8 months because of the size and more so because of him humping / aggression.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 06:40:29 am »
It really setteled down Cody, but it took about six months for the behavior to stop.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline annaaul

• Gnawer
  • Mason and Daisy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 09:06:31 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I did some reading and apparently if he is just humping to show dominance  then his ...uhh..."bernard part" wont be out...but since it is...I assume it is sexual. If I am going to do it (well not me personally, a vet lol) I would like to do it now, when hes 8 months...becau se the cost rises as he gets bigger...We have laser neutering here...anyone tried that? Is it better/worse than the regular kind?

We waited to get our saint cut. Was going to hold out untill 2 but ended up doing it at 1 1/2.
Hindsight say's that he should have gotten cut alot earlier. We were'nt sure on breeding him so we waited.
Sooner the better if your going to do it. It takes alot of coin to sedate a 200 pound dog.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 07:25:36 am »
I got Teddy done at 10 months.  He was never humping or showing dominance issues so I haven't seen much personality change at all.  I have noticed that I don't see his "lipstick" out near as often (was ALWAYS hanging out before!! - YUK!)
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 08:17:51 am »
We had Simon done at 14 months. He's calmed some but the vet said it could be up to 6 months before all of the hormones are gone. The vet also told me when Heidi hits her next heat he may still try to hump her and mess wih her because of the remaining hormones. But that should end by the time she has the following one. He is still a stubborn butthead though. ;) I guess that's just his personalty. LOL
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 08:49:45 am »
We had Koby's surgery done when he was 8 months.  We got him when he was 7 months and he was HORRIBLE!  Trying to dominate and hump everything, and I was worried he'd hurt my daughter (she was 4 at the time).  After the hormones settled down and lots of obedience type training he's the perfect dog!  I think the neutering helped out a lot.