Author Topic: New to Giant Schnauzers  (Read 6249 times)

Offline GiantSchnauzerBoy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New to Giant Schnauzers
« on: October 15, 2006, 11:16:18 am »
Hi,
I'm the roommate of a Giant Schnauzer. His Owner travels alot so I do most of the day to day care. I can ramble on and on. I'm now a Giant fan, and am considering the pros and cons of a Big Paw Dog, or a little 'girly' dog. (shih tzu type.) ... So, just saying hello.  :D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: New to Giant Schnauzers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 11:19:22 am »
Nice to meet you GS Boy! Big dogs are the best!! I'm owned by a lovable 4-year old Newf named Bear.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline IzziesMom

• Gnawer
  • Izzie Loves Her Toys!
    • View Profile
Re: New to Giant Schnauzers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 01:31:21 am »
I can't believe I am giving any suggestions about Giant Schnauzers, but I have done a considerable amount of reading on them POST adoption of Izzie (13 month old now).  True to what you will read about GS, they are very territorial and would do best with a dog their own size.  If your schnauzer is already of substantial size and you bring in a small puppy, you could be in for trouble. I have a 23-lb cockapoo who is now 14 years old.  He, too, was a rescue dog and he is now deaf and blind.  Because of the size difference between him and Izzie, he often ends up getting hurt.  This is not because Izzie is mean, it is more the fact she does not realize her size and strength.
I love little dogs, but in fairness to the dog's well-being, I would think twice before I brought a youngster in with a GS of any size.  Just my own thoughts.... ;)
Mommy of "Big Girl" and Woo....and the other furry creatures, Kitte' and Mousie in the house.