Author Topic: bye bye puppy!  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
bye bye puppy!
« on: December 28, 2006, 09:34:38 pm »
as soon as I let Mack outside he runs off....as fast as his bernard legs will take him. He wont come back no matter how many times I call him, and if he does come back, he wont come to me, he will come by me and try and make me catch him. Ive tried getting him to come with treats and toys, but he wont have none of that. Our backyard is only fenced on three sides so i cant even let him in the yard. How do I make him stay near...cause taking him out to pee and poo only on the lease sucks now that its getting colder out!!

krystal
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: bye bye puppy!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 09:36:20 pm »
Sorry I don't have any advice for you because my Zoey is the same way, but I just wanted to let you know I feel for you! And I will be watching the answers here because I would love to be able to trust either one of my girls off leash once in awhile!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 09:58:52 pm »
This is the same method I was taught to use to train Bella. My trainer explained also to me that it's imperative that the dog comes every time you use the command, and so the long rope ensures that becuase you can "reel" him in.  Any time the dog slips up without the long rope, it's a step backward.  I have to admit honestly that I haven't practiced this much. So far I've been pretty lucky with Bella, but we haven't hit adolescence yet.  ::)  I'm sure I'll have to start up again at the first sign of rebellion.  ;)  Best of luck!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 10:12:02 pm »
thanks for the replies everyone, awesome ideas that i will give a try for sure

i tried the bye bye mack and run into the house..he looks at me, pauses, then runs the other way like "heck yeah shes gone!!" so that didnt work out too well for us lol

but i will give the long rope idea a try thanks!!
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:13:50 pm »
Good luck! I just have to say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mack's smile!  ;D  What a hamm... Someday maybe Bella and Mack will be able to meet in real fur! ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat