Author Topic: My Christmas Day  (Read 2551 times)

bigdogs@5501

My Christmas Day
« on: December 26, 2006, 06:14:45 am »
This Christmas turned into an emotional roller coaster. We got up Christmas morning and discovered that our 9 year old cat had passed away, we have no idea why. Then I met with Beverly and her family and passed her Garrett's leash. This was one of the hardest things that I have done in a long time, but it was the best thing for Garrett. She is a wonderful person and he is really going to benefit having her as his new mom. Then as I was cooking Christmas dinner, the Sheltie- who if she makes it, will be 17 in February, had a stroke.Its not looking good.She stumbled into Jake as he was having his Christmas bone and he got in her face and barked. She is 10 pounds and he is 140. She immediatly had a seizure and now is partially paralyzed. My vet is on vacation until the 2nd. Allie the Sheltie doesnt seem to be in pain, but as we all know, quality of life is the key here and if she cant walk, then her quality of life is not so good. So the painful decision as to wether or not to have her PTS will have to be made tonight. We have a back up vet that is understanding and will help us. I am one of those crazies that get attached despite my best efforts and we have had the old girl since she was a pup, so attached may not sum it up aedequately. Life sometimes is hard. 

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: My Christmas Day
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 06:56:41 am »
Paige, I'm so sorry to hear all of this. Big bummer. I will pray that you have wisdom for making the right decision about your Sheltie. And please know we're all here if you need us.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 07:13:25 am »
Oh Paige, I am so sorry to hear of all your heartache. You and your pups, esp. Allie are in my thoughts!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 09:09:52 am by EllieAndBlu »

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 08:10:32 am »
Well it is pretty much official, Allie will be going to the bridge in the morning. I cant be selfish and keep her in this state for my benefit. I am logging off and will go and hold her now for a few hours. I am hoping that she realizes that it is me and that this is one of the last gestures of love that I can give her. Thanks to all of my friends for thier thoughts and prayers.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 09:09:25 am »
I am so sorry that you have to make such a difficult decision and that you have had so many difficult experiences in the last couple of days.  You are an amazing person for what you do and give to your animals and the ones that are lucky enough to be fostered by you.  I hope you are sitting with you beloved Allie now, remembering the times you had with her when she was younger and full of life. 

I will be thinking of you tonight and into tomorrow, on such a difficult day.

Again so sorry.

Randy

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 09:42:59 am »
Oh Paige, so sorry for your loss.  Enjoy your final time with your beloved Allie, she knows........Y ou are wonderful! Will be thinking of you.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 03:17:55 pm »
So Sorry just doesn't seem adaquate.You sound like a very loving MOM to all your fur kids.And the shock of a Christmas Day like this hasn't set in yet.

Know we are all thinking of you.and will be here for you.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Skippy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lollie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 04:29:30 pm »
Sorry about your bad Christmas. Ours was sad last year. Sasha was sick. We were treating her, but she never came out of it. We put her to sleep shortly there after. Wishing you a better New Year.

Skippy
Central New York

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 04:49:44 pm »
I hadn't posted until now as it is very hard for me to see my keyboard  :'(... we also have gone through what you have had to do for the past 2 yrs in a row(2 days apart between Christmas/New Years). It it the hardest decision one ever has to make.. but you are right quality of life... you want her to be remembered with dignity ~ being the regal senior queen of the castle she was ~16/almost 17 is awesome, just goes to show you what a good mama you've been. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, Allie can now run in the fields and fields with Carly(she'll be the one at the bridge doing her Coonhound baying welcome)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)