Author Topic: Did you read about the Mad Cow disease result???  (Read 3890 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Did you read about the Mad Cow disease result???
« on: July 03, 2005, 01:45:00 pm »
Just read in the newspaper that the cow that was discovered to have Mad Cow disease was taken to a pet food processor!!   That's enough right there to keep me from giving Chester any more commercially processed food!  I know that dogs can't get mad cow disease, but in makes you wonder what diseases could be avoided if they didn't eat that stuff!!   By the way, we are still in the process of changing from Proplan to Eagle Pack...but now I just don't know!!!

Any thoughts??

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Did you read about the Mad Cow disease result???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 02:54:16 pm »
That is frightening!

I feed Zoey kibble but stay away from the big brands that I find sketchy.
Reading this article: http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm was enough to put me off of most commercial dog food. We are feeding Wellness now, which is one of the only dog foods that use all human-grade ingredients.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 03:13:18 pm »
Wow!  I just read that article and, you are right, it's fascinating, distrubing stuff!  I cook fresh food for Cowboy, our epileptic Newf but have been worried about getting correct balances of energy/calcium/potassium, etc so have been feed Chester kibble.  I had decided to switch him to Cowboy's diet at 24 months...but may have to look at alternatives before that!  Wellness sounds like a good choice.  Do they have a giant breed puppy line?

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 05:37:45 pm »
I heard about the Mad Cow thing. Hope it doesnt hurt you guys like it did when we had it here in Canada. I know that when all the Mad Cow scare was going on the grocery stores pulled ALL the dog foods off the shelves. Im not really sure why but I know it was hard to find dog food.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 06:29:08 pm »
No, Wellness does not make a food specifically for giant breeds. I have always fed zoey adult food to slow her growth for her hips, and since they don'ts make a giant breed mix, I feed her their 'super5mix'. They also make a 'simple food solutions' for dogs with allergies and food sensitivities. To read about wellness, you can go here http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/wellness_overview.html

Another food that people on this board love is solid gold. We fed zoey solid gold wolfking from when we got her until we switched to wellness, and we were pretty happy with it until we decided it wasn't fitting her needs anymore... There are a lot of  good choices out there, I am just wary of the major commercial producers so I stick to the smaller more natural companies that care more about animals than money.
RIP former BPO

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 08:19:23 pm »
I'm using Solid Gold wolf cub (for large breeds) for my pup and Nature's Recipe venison food for my adult dog. Neither has any beef in them, so I guess I feel safe. The meat in the Solid Gold I use is bison and salmon, and of course the Nature's Recipe is deer meat. Seems safer than cows in this day and age...

Offline traklover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 06:40:19 am »
Did you know cats can get mad cow. In Europe they have had several cats dianosed with mad cow. The dead cats were usually the big ones in zoos (they get autopsied). It is believed that house cats also get it, however they are usually not autopsied as to cause of death.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 08:14:07 am »
Sheesh!  Now I get to worry about the three cats!!!