Author Topic: Husky wont make a good pet .. I dont think so !  (Read 23624 times)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Husky wont make a good pet .. I dont think so !
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 10:18:13 am »
that is so cute! Makes me want to have my girls pull.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:21:46 am »
neat story about the way they're using the roman type buggies to go "sledding" but i don't agree with huskies not being a good pet, BUT i do agree that any dog can be "bad" match for some people.  some people are going to like different breeds just because of characteristic s, just like some people don't like big paws.  this often gets translated into a dog being a "bad" pet.  just like people always ask me, "you can't possibly keep those dogs inside," it's my preference, and some breeds aren't for anyone.  thanks for sharing!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:23:28 am »
that is true, they are not for everyone. I personally love northern breeds, but you have to be willing to exercise them and not just a run around the block.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 01:05:33 pm »
Yes, I don't agree that they flat out just don't make good pets. Their owners need to accomodate them and understand that Huskies, or other Northern breeds too, are working dogs. They need exercise, no matter what kind it is. I don't own a husky, but Malamutes are similar and I have to accomodate Zoey's needs as such, but that doesn't make her a bad pet.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 01:54:52 pm »
good point, stella!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline huskyman

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 05:35:47 pm »
Very cute pup! I love the Husky's, you can't beat them for love, companionship, loyality,and devotion to their masters. They will just plain keep you young! ;)
Steve: Dad to Grey Cloud

Offline boxermama

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 07:49:36 am »
omg!!! i love the markings on the face soooo sweet!!!

Kirsti

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:58:25 am »
soo cute! They are a fantastic breed, but have TONS of energy! I use to want my lab/husky Max to pull, he did well but he liked chasing things more  :P

~Kirsti

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 09:16:14 am »
No wonder I couldn't see the video........l ol, thread started couple of years ago.....lol.  ::)

I think huskies can make great pets for owners who are aware of their specific needs.  But the same holds true for all breeds that were orignally bred for a purpose.

I do think tho that huskies coming from "working" lines are much harder to keep as pets for someone who doesn't use them for sledding.  Their drive is much much higher than huskies who have been living as pets for generations.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:31:13 pm »
No wonder I couldn't see the video........l ol, thread started couple of years ago.....lol.  ::)

LOL!  I was wondering why I couldn't see the link either!  I agree on what everyone has said...some dogs match some personality types and some don't.  My in laws can't possibly grasp why I would ever want a Newf (aka the "black horse" - as per my FIL :D) yet, they absolutely adore little Cody to death.  And I can't understand sometimes how they don't love Sierra.  It takes all types to make the world go 'round, and that includes dogs.

As for the training that Stella mentioned...  I'm guilty of slighting Cody on his obedience training because, let's face it, when he pulls, you barely feel it!  If he's misbehaving on the leash it's just easier to pick him up and carry him.  Now, Sierra pulling on the other hand...well, we all have big paws here and know where that thought is leading.  LOL!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer