Author Topic: Sewer Breath *GAG*, Weird Tongue Problem. Update! Back From The Vet.  (Read 8477 times)

Lyn

Re: Sewer Breath *GAG*, Weird Tongue Problem. Update! Going To The Vet Today.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 10:18:31 am »
Thanks! I'm a tad worried. :( That's what I get for googling her symptoms. I didn't help when I ended up with such a wide range of possibilities.

schelmischekit ty, That's possible. Also her front teeth don't fit together tightly so there is a decent gap, enough for her tongue to fit through. I tried to get a pic but she won't let me. LOL I'm thinking there is a tooth in the back or near the back that's stopping her jaw from closing tight even though everything appears normal to me. I really don't know what I'm looking for.

I'm just hoping my hubby is home from work in time for her appointment. I need him to help me hold her still, I don't want to sedate her unless we absolutely have to.

Edit to add a pic... Here I am all worried.. and here's Lola's take on it on all this. haahah
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 10:27:22 am by Lyn »

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 10:35:47 am »
I'm sorry Lola is having yucky breath issues - but I must tell you she is the CUTEST baby!!

I hope the vet finds the problem and it is very simple to correct - please let us know how she makes out.

Randy & Harley

Anakalia

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 10:40:05 am »
Awww Lola's such a cutie!!  I know it's so easy to worry, but hopefully it's nothing.  As for the bad breath, Koby's breath has been NASTY lately!  I've caught him eating rabbit and or squirrel poo out in the yard so I'm thinking that's what's causing it.  I'm going to be making him some homemade treats today for bad breath using fresh parsley and mint, I'll let you know if it helps his nasty smellin' mouth!  lol

Krista I

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 10:52:28 am »
We had a black lab once, and all of a sudden her breath was rank!!  We wanted to puke everytime she breathed on us.  So this went on for about 3 days, so finally when she was sleeping, I took a look inside her mouth, covering my nose with my shirt lol, and discovered she had a piece of wood lodged on the roof of her mouth!  So I gently pulled it out, and her bad doggie breath went away.  Poor girl though, can you imagine how uncomfortable that must have been for her...  The bacteria on the piece of wood must have been what was making it stink so badly.  I hope you can find out what's causing Lola's bad breath.  Let us know asap...  :)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 07:04:41 pm »
Any news? I hope all went well!

Lyn

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 09:10:18 pm »
Sorry hubby took over the pc when we got home so I didn't get a chance to post an update.

While we were waiting I thought I'd weigh her.. At 9 months old she weighs 102.8 pounds. So my scale is off by 2-3 pounds.

Well....Appare ntly her breath is not that bad.. to my vet. haha. He checked her lymph nodes (sp), her teeth and looked down her throat. Nothing abnormal. So either it went away on it's own or what smells bad to me is normal to him. LOL He said that we could sedate her and check farther down her esophagus with a scope but he didn't think it was necessary. He also mentioned kidney disease could cause bad breath too. But she didn't have any of the other major symptoms.

The raised spot in the roof of her mouth isn't an abcess. He said she was probably born with it and it's nothing to worry about. He also manipulated her jaw and he's said it feels normal and moves normally. She just has a bad bite. Her adult teeth came in slightly offset. No fixing that unless we pull out all her teeth. haha

And the tongue issue I was freaking out over is nothing more than her tongue is too long! What's even funnier is that hubby had mentioned that to me and I thought he was on dope. LOL But when the vet pushed her tongue back in her mouth it folded behind her front teeth and she pushed it right back out. :D He's said it's actually quite common.. that's a new one to me. The times where she seems to lack control of her tongue he said is probably from her biting it. But he made note of it her file so we are going to keep an eye on it.

So needless to say I feel like a tool. Talk about a paranoid mom. haha. 

He mentioned also as we were getting ready to leave that he's seen some really bad tempered Saints lately. :( It's sad what byb's are doing to the breed. But he did comment on how sweet Lola was, so I was happy. She's came a long way since we brought her home.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 09:38:14 pm »
Glad you waited to see your 'good' vet. Very glad to hear Lola is is perfect put your mind at ease alittle for now  :)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Lyn

Re: Sewer Breath *GAG*, Weird Tongue Problem. Update! Back From The Vet.
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 08:00:46 am »
I'm really glad I waited, even though I was stressing out. :D

But I'm still laughing about her tongue being too long. My son said 'Maybe she will grow into it' hahaha I told him I didn't know. So he said to ask you all. :D

Her new nickname is going to be Lola Gene.. as in Gene Simmons from Kiss. LOL Remember this pic... The long tongue makes much more sense now. hhahaaha

Anakalia

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 08:44:23 am »
HAHAHAHAHAA!!  OMG I love Lola's tongue, great pic Lyn!  I'm so glad everything went great at the vet.  I'm a lot like you if I think something's wrong with my furbabies I can't stop worrying about it until I've had the vet visit, it's always nice to know for sure what the heck's going on! lol 

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 10:24:30 am »
The tongue shot is AWESOME....LOL

What a relief all is well with your girl!  That is the best news of the day!

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 12:18:15 pm »
Ever seen Mr. Winkle's tongue?  Turn the speakers up and prepare to say AWWWWW.

http://www.mrwinkle.com/index1.htm
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Lyn

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 07:51:14 am »
Haha, My vet says I'm too informed sometimes. He was joking. But I usually go in there with a list of tests or possible causes and he will go through them with me and decide what's a possibility, explain procedures.. etc. :D I probably do drive him nuts at times. Like the too long of a tongue thing. The first words out of my mouth were.. "What?! Are you serious?" I thought he was joking. But when he started to show me how her tongue lays when it's completely in her mouth, I knew he was serious. :D So not only does Lola have big ears.. she has a mile long tongue. hahahaha

LOL Bubba's tongue is like Rucky's but he manages to fit it in too. Lola is just odd.. :-\