Author Topic: Expectant Big Dog parents - new to forum! - Puppy kintergarten?  (Read 4289 times)

Offline cesaria

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Expectant Big Dog parents - new to forum! - Puppy kintergarten?
« on: December 30, 2006, 11:21:29 pm »
Hello all! I'm so glad to have found this forum. On Friday we will be welcoming a 10 week old Bermese Mountain dog into our family and I am very excited and a little nervous. Preparing for her arrival is making us run in circles!

One focus right now is finding a puppy "kindergarten" or Puppy Prep class for her to participate in. Everything I've read about the breed says this would be an extremely beneficial thing for a little Berner to do in order to become socialized and stimulated. However, having never heard of such a thing previously, I am having a difficult time knowing where to start. Has any one out there been through something similiar?

Should she be in classes for just BIG pups? Are there classes for just Big pups? How do we know what's best?

Also any advice at all about bringing this amazing little pup home would be very, very appreciated!

Thank you all so much, and it is wonderful to meet you!

lorim2

Re: Expectant Big Dog parents - new to forum! - Puppy kintergarten?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 11:27:52 pm »
Hi there!  I am mom to Marley, an old english mastiff..We did our puppy kinder at Petsmart..Funn y but he was the only big paw in the class but it was so good for him!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 11:41:04 pm »
we brought our akita to petsmart, and it was great, even though axle was the only big paw and outweighed everyone by the time he was 5 months old!  we had a medium sized class, about 7 or 8 dogs, and it was enough to socialize, but then small enough we were very close!  i still miss all the friends i made, even though it was 3 years ago!  our trainer there was really great, she made every effort to help me, and even PERSONALLY trained axle the last few weeks because i was pregnant.  because of this i was able to make every class, even the one that was the same week i went into delivery.  i really liked the way they did it, and we had the plus of being at the store, and having outside distractions that helped us learn to pay attention to each other.  this also benefited, because we could work on our manners and had people right there, with us and our trainer by our side!  it was awesome, and also very cost efficient!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 11:42:35 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 11:51:30 pm »
First of all, welcome to BPO and congrats on the new fur-baby!

I have never heard of a big-paw only puppy kindergarten - usually it is a mix of all different sizes. Check with your local pet stores and training centers. Really all there is to puppy kindergarten is socialization and teaching you how to train your pup, so most all trainers can do that. Not all of them offer puppy kindergarten, but if you can find more than ojne just talk to the people to see which one sounds the best to you.

Other than finding a kindergarten (not an immediate concern anyways since you want to get at least some preliminary shots), are you all set for the new pup?
RIP former BPO

Offline cesaria

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 12:00:09 am »
Goodness i HOPE so! I have making lists upon lists. by friday we hope to have:

brushes, toys, crate, clicker, food, bowls treats, collar, and gentle lead thing, and carpet disinfectant ready to go. As well as cat psychologists standing by.

Does that sound about right? Am I mssing anything. The longer the wait the more i think of! i really want to make a perfect home for her. She was meant to come home last week but she was sick. So the wait has been nerve wracking while she finishes her meds.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 12:08:01 am »
Hi there, welcome and Congrats on the Berner pup! I LOOOOOOOOVE bernies, esp. as pups. When i first got my dane, memphis, we took him to puppy class, and the only other large dog was a bernie named Timber. He was super cute. and i fell inlove instantly. Unfortunately, i hate dogs with hair hahaha. so i will probably never own one. my dane has too much hair, and my cats.
I have been to many classes, and they are great. i take the dogs to them for socializing with other dogs and people. i think its best if u go to an all breed one, because than your berner will meet small dogs and large dogs... young and old... you know? its great socializing.
Anyways, congrats once again. Can't wait to see pics. :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline cesaria

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 12:14:48 am »
Thanks! I can't wait to HAVE icks to show you! i am so excited to see her little, or not-so-little face. We are currently in different states so I can't even visit. I promise, the day shecomes home I will take pictures till my little camera finger is sore!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 12:16:32 am »
I promise, the day shecomes home I will take pictures till my little camera finger is sore!
great, i cant wait. :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 03:55:06 pm »
our first level class was more proper nutrition, socialization skills, leash walking, etc.  basics.  no real tricks, except watch me, come, sit, down and all the things you need in everyday life.  the second class was more advanced "tricks" like roll over, etc.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]