Author Topic: Six Weeks Post Op  (Read 2227 times)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Six Weeks Post Op
« on: December 31, 2006, 08:23:22 pm »
It has been six weeks since Tucker's FHO and I cannot believe what a difference it has made. We walk 3 times a day for 30 minutes.  During these walks he has two speeds; slow/deliberate that forces him to really use his legs and you can see the muscles bulge. During this pace his gait is slightly "off" with the leg "clicking in". It reminds me of someone who is double jointed the way it "clicks".  It's not a sound but a movement. The "chicken leg" appearance was
gone after two weeks and the swinging out to the side has been gone for a couple weeks. I would say that he is bearing weight 95% of the time. His second speed is a bit faster and at times looks completely normal. At this speed I know that he is over compensating and later in the day he pays for it on the non-FHO side.

Tucker feels so much better that all he wants to do is play. With four dogs we have to be very careful. We still do not them all play in the big yard. At least once a day we do let Tucker out in the big yard but have to watch him cause he wants to run and jump. Currently when he runs he still bunny hops but it's different from the bunny hop pre-surgery. Can't really explain, it's just different... more
graceful.

Without a doubt this was the right decision for Tucker. I think the key is finding a surgeon that has done many FHO's on large dogs.  Experience goes a LONG way.

Most of the information available about FHO's and large dogs is not positive. Does anyone have published articles or study's regarding the success of FHO's and large dogs? I know that Tucker's surgeon recently completed a study and the research will be published early in the year. I will post here when available.

As for the rest of the pack it has been a somewhat difficult time for us.  As most of you know my beloved Bobo kitty who would have 19 crossed the bridge in November.  Aruba my other 5 year old cat got very sick the week before Christmas so he spent 2 days here on an IV and then four days being force fed.  He is now eating on his own and doing well.  Tyra was xrayed last week for a lump on her leg.  Apparently she had a hairline fracture sometime in the last couple of weeks that is now healing....ugh .... at least it wasn't bone cancer.  In addition Tucker had a tumor removed from his ear... news back from the vet yesterday is that it is benign.  Knock on wood Scooter and Luke are doing great.  Our hope for the new year is to avoid the vet for at least 30 days, other than Tucker going back to have his stitches removed from his ear.

Hope you all are doing well.  Maybe I'll get a chance to hang out more with you here at BPO in the coming year.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Six Weeks Post Op
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 08:35:36 pm »
I'm so glad to hear that Tucker is doing so well.  My New Year's wish for all of us is more than 30 days without seeing the vet and that all our furkids, kids, SOs, etc are healthy and happy. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 09:14:27 pm »
Wow, what a crazy time you have been through!! It's wonderful to hear that Tucker has responded so well to the surgery and feels so great!!! Go Tucker!! :D

Your brindle pack is so beauteous. :-* ;D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 10:04:42 pm »
Congrats to you and Tucker!  it's a long road...but well worth the trip!