Author Topic: Should you have more then one dog???  (Read 9571 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Should you have more then one dog???
« on: January 03, 2007, 09:11:33 am »
With my birds it is better for them to be in a flock then to be single pets. How about with dogs?? Don't get  me wrong I don't want a whole pack of dogs, but would Butt be better off with a companion?? We are doing better with him learning to listen to me and me being the pack leader. However his attitude towards other people hasn't changed because of it. From what I have read he is still being dominate one and trying to protect me. That got me to wondering if him having his own dog would help?? If so older? puppy? male? female? Butt is a 3 1/2 yr old neutered male. Thanks, as always any advice is much appreciated.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline fullsizetrucks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Should you have more then one dog???
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 09:26:55 am »
I think that you have to have companions for your pets.  I have done the single dog thing before, and there is a huge difference between the mentality of a single "child" and one with playmates.  Not to mention, LOTS of people you will find here lives in a multiple pooch household.  You came to the right place!!!
Big dogs make a house a home.
Be nice, you are God to your Dog.

Heidi
Harassed mother of one 2 legged kid, and three 4 legged spoiled brats!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 09:50:53 am »
axle was a spoiled brat when he was a puppy.  he had a hard time getting along with anything on four legs, and wouldn't accept anything anywhere.  that was like 3 1/2 years ago, now we have our "pack" and i love it, although it does make things get crazy when they all run around the house!  we have better rounded dogs now, they accept anything, and friends can bring their dogs over with no problem.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 09:59:27 am »
With your dog's dominant personality, I think adding another more submissive dog would be great for you guys. :) I am a big believer in dogs as pack animals, like birds are flock animals. We have a pack here at my house and they are so fulfilled as dogs, you can just see it. I love it.

And as for the odd myth that if you get two dogs, they will bond more with each other than with you? That's nonsense. Even with this great pack of dogs I have here, I am still the most important thing in their world, and each dog still needs individual attention and love from me every day. I am like their queen, lol. It's good for the ego! :D ;)

Good luck in your decision!!!! I recommend a rescue! ;) ;D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:01:28 am »
lmao i agree with it being good for your ego, i always have someone who wants attention from me, so if axle is mad because i got onto him for counter surfing, it doesn't matter, sheeba or someone is there! ha ha
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:08:59 am »
Tough call.  I've struggled with this too recently but I think I've come to a decision that Teddy is it.  Just one dog for us.  I don't feel we have the space, desire, or finances to bring another dog home.  Teddy has 2 skinkids, a cat, and me in his pack.  I do admit that I would like him to have the exposure to another dog though - when we meet other dogs he wants to play but his hackles raise too - I'm not sure what free play would bring with him.  It would be nice if he would learn to be a dog too.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

lorim2

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 10:41:59 am »
I honestly think it depends on the situation that your in.  If time and money warrants it then I think it would be great.  I personally have a zoo here and everyone gets along great.  We also socialize our two bigs dogs alot!  We are at Petsmart at least twice a week and either one or both big guys go with us. Always take both to the dog park just for socialization.  Marley is such a big fellow I just do everything I can to expose him to large groups, kids and different situations.  Laney it doesnt matter so much, she is a lab and everyone accepts her fine.  Its just when you walk in somewhere with a 200 lb dog ppl tend to freak out first and then get to know him later..Sorry so long! 

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 11:07:10 am »
Thank you all so much. Time isn't an issue, I work from home, so my life revolves around my babies.I do still leave the house on a rare occasion though and have to leave Butt home.I always feel bad,with the birds there are 22 of them,so they always have each other for company.Poor Butt is always alone. As far as money goes everytime I add another bird I always say "what is one more mouth to feed?". I'm not worried about him bonding with another dog and leaving me out. With my birds if they choose to spend time with each other and not want to be with me that is okay, that is what mother nature intened. I'm here when they want me for companionship, but I respect the fact they are birds first. Are far as being tough/strong enough, I'm working on it. It has been a slow process, but I am learning that making him listen to me isn't mean, but better for both of us. Now I'm going to go look and see what is available for Saint Bernards in my area ;D
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 11:20:14 am »
ha ha ha i love how you put that they're birds first off.  that's so sweet!  i do have to respect that you understand that they're birds (or in butt's case a dog) first.  you're so great!  about being tough / strong enough, just remember, you're always right!  even when you're wrong you're right ha ha.  just playing.  i'm so glad for you that your baby is listening to you!  it's so nice when your dog does listen to your commands.  it makes things so much easier!  what an awesome mom you are!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 11:30:44 am »
speaking of being top dog, does anyone flip their dogs on their back and stand over them to "assert" dominance?  we've done this for a while and it works out great, we haven't had many challenges at all since we've used it, and when we do, the second we flip them it's over!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 12:33:12 pm »
I would really like a second dog; as many of you know my hubby on the other hand says no way; I think I could push the issue and we could compromise on the type of dog but I ask myself; does harley really want a live in play date?  He is very attached to me and gets jealous when the kids or hubby need my attention or a hug (he is very good about it doesn't growl or make a peep just stares and tries to get between us).

He loves play dates with his best doggie friend Rusty but if Rusty wants to be petted by me Harley pushes him out of the way.  So I honestly don't think Harley wants a new playmate the way I want one for him.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 01:29:53 pm »
i can see how it'd be risky for someone who doesn't know what they're doing!  thanks for sharing that bit of advice, honestly, i never thought of that!  our dogs are very submissive to me, we used this technique from the git-go, so that's probably why!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Krista I

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 01:30:20 pm »
Well I know I couldn't live without a dog.  I'm getting a saint pup, and I hear once you get one, you want another lol..  And believe me I would get another, but my only problem is, I don't think my husband would like two giant dogs.  Why didn't I marry a dog lover lol...  ???

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 01:31:56 pm »
lmao, when we got axle i was HOOKED to big paws!  hubby has to remind me that there are only so many hours in a day to take care of them ha ha.  i guess he doesn't agree with my concept of "all my time goes to my kids and dogs"   :-\
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Krista I

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 01:37:55 pm »
lol.. well I can seriously see myself getting another one of my dream dogs, and I think the next dog I get will be a nice black newfoundland pup!!  lol... and I know they're great with children, so that's a bonus!