Author Topic: Health-excess bile?  (Read 3022 times)

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Health-excess bile?
« on: January 03, 2007, 10:13:11 am »
I have a St. Bernard who "spits up" bile fairly frequently (by frequently I mean every 2 or 3 days).  We have ruled out food allergies. Our vet says that he has a strong regurgetation gene related to wolf behavior in the wild.  He is fine right after he "spits up" and never does it on a full stomach.  Does anyone have any info or ideas on this?  Other than this, he is a happy, healthy 2 year old!
Thanks in advance for any help or info!!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Health-excess bile?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:41:44 am »
i'm almost positive it's possible for dogs to get heartburn or something of the likeness, i can't remember what it's called, it might just be called heartburn ha ha (i'm really tired today).  this COULD cause them to vomit occasionally.  do you notice if it happens when your pup gets more table food or something??  just a thought!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 01:18:16 pm »
No, we can't really tie it in to table food, or any certain type of food for that matter.  His diet is widely varied and he tolerates all types of foods very well.  His spitting up happens whether he has dry dogfood or prime rib!  I will ask the vet if there are any doggie antacids though--that might help.  Thanks for the idea!

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:32:19 pm »
Thunder is ALWAYS hungry!  He was underweight by about 25 lbs when we took him in last July, but he's now at his right weight (145 lbs.) according to the vet.  We have other dogs and there is always a bowl of dry nutromax (the one with glucosamine chondroitin for thier bones since they're all big)left out.  They all snack out of it periodically during the day, so if he's really hungry there's always something available. But this does seem to happen only when he's got an empty stomach, like about twelve hours away from his last real "meal".  I'll try splitting the dogs meals into 2 smaller portions at morning and night.  Maybe that will do the trick. Thanks for the info.  His spitting up isn't really a bother, since he lets us know and runs to the door to go outside, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some serious problem we or the vet was missing.  Thanks again and good luck with Keagan!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:33:59 pm »
awwwwwwww he lets you know??  how sweet!  our dogs get crossed eyes and start heaving, then WE have to grab them and get them out the door because they refuse to move.  can't say i blame them!  hope you find a solution!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 02:12:57 pm »
Thanks for the Big Paws lesson.  Maybe someday I'll be able to get around this site as well as you do!  Until then, if I have a question I'll just walk over and get you!

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:31:22 pm »
I have to do some search and download--still not caught up from the holidays.  I'll work on it soon.......... .

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 01:33:36 pm »
Thanks for the welcome!  As long as Stella's at work, I'm happy!  I'll work on the pics of Thunder and the rest of the crew......