Author Topic: how do you keep ppl out your yard??  (Read 6158 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
how do you keep ppl out your yard??
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:34:39 pm »
we have beware of dog signs on both side of our house, we have one no trespassing sign, and EVERYone knows we have big dogs, but still.  they come in our yard, and idiotness takes over and they want to look over our fence.  it's not just young kids, it's their PARENTS, too.  it happens quite often, and i've heard several ppl here with pitbulls were made to get rid of their dogs because ppl kept complaining.  i know my dogs aren't mean, but if they stuck their hand over the fence they WILL get bit, simply because they are "intruding" and my dogs know they aren't supposed to be there.  what does everyone do??
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: how do you keep ppl out your yard??
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:09:39 pm »
honestly, our town in general isn't very big dog friendly, how could one who was make ppl whose dogs have done nothing, except be pitbulls, get rid of their dogs.  this has happened, i talked to two ppl in the neighborhood who warned me that this had happened to them.  the fence is something that must be done now, ppl are just so stupid, and i know no matter what the situation my dogs would be at fault.  some ppl lost their cat earlier and were looking over my fence for it, and even looked in the crawl space under MY house.  i can't stand ppl like that.  i'm going to talk to hubby about getting a sign made that states, "use common sense, i have big dogs, don't taunt or tease them by coming in their yard"
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline fullsizetrucks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:52:49 pm »
You know what, I don't understand the logic of some people.  I have had people actually reach into my car to try to pet Dodge.  Hello?  Who raised you?  I had someone pick their child up to reach over the truck bed to pet Yukon once...I came running out of the store that I had just stepped into yelling...coul d you imagine how fast they would blame me and my dog for their stupidity?!?

I would call the police if I were you, not only are they tresspassing, but you will have it on record that you have made an attempt to prevent this situation in advance.

Good luck!
Big dogs make a house a home.
Be nice, you are God to your Dog.

Heidi
Harassed mother of one 2 legged kid, and three 4 legged spoiled brats!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 06:03:42 pm »
I am so glad that I am not the only one who feels that people need to stay off my property!  I am happy to have people come in and look at the goats or the dogs as long as: I am outside and I invite them to come in (there are always people looking thru our fence to see the animals).

That said, we have a 6' privacy fence all around the yard including a 6' gate across our driveway with a padlock on it.  To me that screams "You're not welocme to come in."  Well, aparently not.  Last week a woman and her daughter were standing on my deck, about to go into the goats' area!  This has happened a couple times.  Who does that?  Just waltz in through a giant, closed gate and hang out in someone else's yard?!  What if Binky had been out and they let her out of the gate or she jumped on them?

We have now put a lock on the inside of the gate so I can keep it locked, but it's a real pain to have to lock and unlock for my husband coming home, friends, etc.  I shouldn't have to do that!  I have been thinking about "Beware of Dog" signs but do not want people to think the dogs are viscious or call any attention to our yard (not sure goats are 100% legal here)...  I will be watching this thread and hope somepone has a good idea!  Sorry for the rant!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:17:57 pm »
the beware of dog, guard dog on duty, and no trespassing signs have done NOTHING to keep people out our yard.  i'm a very private person, also, and like to keep to myself.  meaning, i don't go in your yard, don't come in mine!  i'm going to try to talk to hubby about the privacy fence, but the size of our yard it will take forever for us to be able to afford it.  the people behind us have a 6ft chain link all the way around their yard and across their driveway, and it doesn't stop people from going in there either.  :(  maybe an electric fence going about 3inches off the ground like a trip wire??  ha ha, i don't think that's legal though.  figures.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 06:18:23 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:27:32 pm »
Yes people are not very smart, so you are going to have to take care to protect yourself and your dogs. You do need to call the authorities and tell them that despite the fact that you have up signs- you are still getting uninvited visitors. Also, you are going to have to post some fairly large no trespassing signs- they are going to have to be very noticeable- this will help you in the event that some one does get bit while tresspassing. Also, you may want to put a hotwire on your fence- on the outside- not the inside,and put up signs warning of the hot wire. Most people will not get close to a wired fence. You are putting it on the outside of the fence vs the inside, since the dogs are not the problem. Running a hot wire with the box is not really that costly, especially if you already have a fence. But signs are very important.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 06:32:14 pm »
we have the larger signs our stores carry, they're bigger than a binder, and are BRIGHT red, with white lettering.  they're not behind bushes, or anything, in plain sight.  you can see them from the road, heck, our neighbor across the street commented on them, and she never leaves her house.  the hot wire is an idea, i may try that! our yard is JUST under 1 acre, the back 2/3 is fenced in, the front 1/3 isn't, so i may post signs on the street also, instead of just on our fence.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 06:49:53 pm »
Some of the "hot" boxes are good for about a 3 mile radius. I think that you can get one for less than 100.00. Also, use the eletric tape vx the actual wire. It is easier to run and will deliver quiet the little bite to the dumb uninvited visitor. Also take pictures of your house with the signs- its all about covering yourself in the event something happens. But I am betting that you are going to have more people shy away from the hot wire than the snarling big paw. A lot of people are just not too smart.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 06:52:06 pm »
i wonder if i got two boxes if i could just get t-posts (or something similiar) and put a "pre-fence" up before the chain link...  maybe run 2 or 3 wires, like they sometimes do for livestock...
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline lukka

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:18:21 pm »
I have a six foot fenced off area that Lukka runs in.  It allows her to come in and out the side door of the house while still enclosed in her space.  The gate in the laneway is locked from the inside so that nobody could open it by accident.  You just never know when someone might just pop by and assume that it is OK to walk right in.  She is protected from stupid people and the locked gate protects  stupid people from themselves.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:03:43 pm »
when someone comes into my yard uninvited or unrelated...i let the girls out.  no one does it anymore.  it's called Trespassing and i think the constitution gives me the right to protect myself from that.  the 4th amendment i think.  people really should know better ... dogs or not.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 09:35:40 pm »
omggggggg i love that idea for a sign!!!!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 11:13:05 pm »
i really might have to do them...  hmmmmmm i wonder if hubby would be upset! 
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

chaosndestruction

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 10:46:01 am »
 :D I can tell you from experience that the electric tape really does give you a shocking experience :P I grew up with horses and cows so i've had a few shocking experiences since i was about 8!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 10:49:55 am »
same here, except we played with it ha ha.  we had 4-5 of us stand in a line and all hold hands. then the two on the end would go to grab it, whoever got it last got shocked but nobody else would get it bad enough to stop us ha ha...  boy were we STUPID ha ha ::)
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)