Author Topic: growling  (Read 7976 times)

Offline MRSL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
growling
« on: January 04, 2007, 12:35:45 pm »
Hi I need advise with a wee prob thats only just started. My 5 month male mal/husky has started to growl and snap when his bowl is lifted. Now we have always made a point of making him wait till we eat(out of a similar bowl)first then he can take his food. Then during his feed we lift his bowl as we've been told to do this. But only in the last week or so he's started to growl and even a wee snap.  Can anyone help ?

Cheers Annie

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: growling
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 01:40:15 pm »
When you give it back to him put a little something extra in the bowl, like a treat he really likes or meat...that way he will see it as a good thing when you take his food away. Always give it right back too.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 02:13:27 pm »
you might want to try putting one piece of food in his bowl at a time, that way he learns the food comes from YOUR hand, and unless he respects you he won't get it, or at least he'll think!  first sign of being hateful, walk away, and come back later and try again.  don't forget praise!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 02:14:06 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 02:26:34 pm »
With both of my mals, I make them sit before they eat. Nala was food aggressive and I nipped that very quick by feeding her out of my hand. I can actually do anything to them while they are eating, even when they get a special treat, like cooked duck without a problem. I always put my face near theirs, grab ears, plumes, legs, and even put my hand in the bowl with no problem. They must learn that all food comes from you, the alpha.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 02:48:08 pm »
I can actually do anything to them while they are eating, even when they get a special treat, like cooked duck without a problem. I always put my face near theirs, grab ears, plumes, legs, and even put my hand in the bowl with no problem.

i had to laugh at this, because i dared brandon to get next to axle and growl at him to see what he does (everyone knows axle doesn't like brandon) and axle almost took brandon's ear off.  he got close enough to nip his ear, and brandon swears he was trying to take his face off.  i thought it was funny, because axle would NEVER do this to anyone BUT brandon, so now brandon just ignores him when he eats ha ha.  that happened when axle was just under 1 year, and brandon still hasn't forgiven him ha ha.  i forgot to put in that we hold the bowl when our dogs eat so that we can make sure they understand we are alpha, and also to monitor their eating. 
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MRSL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:49:47 am »
Hi all ... I just wanted to say thanks for the advise. I gave holding the bowl a go today = no growls ;D. But I will also give the feeding from the hand a go too as this sounds a like a good idea good idea ;). let you all know how it goes ok

cheers Annie

Offline MRSL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 06:53:47 am »
a quick update ... We have been feeding Chinook from our hands and and clapping him (head body ect...) not a prob, but as soon as you lift your hand from his bowl... its his! then you get a growl. So Ive been making him sit in between mouthfulls till he's halfway, then I take his bowl away and replace it with a reward and lots of praise. I keep doing this till his meal is finished. But now he's started to hoover up food/rubbish from outside and its a huge struggle to get it off him. He will eat anything then sick it up in his crate later and gets aggresive and tries to protect his sick ... :o YUCK!  ??? ??? Im worried that he might end up with a blockage. He's so food aggresive when we go for a walk he will eat anything and I mean anything!. Am I not feeding him enough or the rite kinda food ??? he gets 3 meals per day. 2 with kibble 1 with cooked chicken and rice.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:08:05 am »
If that were my dog I'd walk him muzzled till he could be trusted to do the Leave It command.  Blockages are scary.

If you passed someone who had food, would your dog pounce?  My second dog (120 GSD mix) never got to the point where he could be 100% trusted not to try to take food anywhere he found it.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline MRSL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 07:23:41 am »
He would jump up ... but when he's told "off" he'd do it no prob's, but he will still sit, stare and lick his lips. :-[ Im not sure about the muzzle. I dont want to give out the wrong impression. We are given a wide swerve at the moment as most folk round our area(Scotland Edinburgh) dont know about malsky's and think they are a really dangerous breed.Plus he's only 5 months so stil a (big) baby and I dont want to scare him.
 Malsky's by nature pull and jump up at meeting folk even if they dont have food so thats a hard one.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 09:54:58 am »
I would not recommend taking the bowl from him only feeding directly out of your hand at this time (with the bowl away from him). Also you can deter the pulling, both of my girls walk directly beside me at all times, unless....we are hiking then they know they are allowed to be in pulling order, but the first time they pull they are my best friends all over again. Brandon trained them using Cesar's walking technique and it is wonderful. Nala will eat anything off the ground and sometimes, I am holding the leash at the collar so tight my arm hurts. I typically only walk her, but have walked both of them together when he is not home. He walks both of them and runs them a lot.

Offline MRSL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:07:32 am »
[Brandon trained them using Cesar's walking technique /quote] Ive never heard of this .. can you let me know what this is ?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 11:16:40 am »
honestly, i wouldn't recommend this either.  it gives the total wrong impression, and if you tried to explain why you do it, most people won't believe you.  also, i know with axle the second you put a muzzle on him he flips and THEN he starts acting very aggressive/agitated which causes a whole other problem.  with him acting that way over trash, it very might well be he's hungry, but with his meal being interrupted he might think it's going to "go away" eventually, so he's spazzing out about that, and trying to "prepare."  just a thought.  with the walking, and eating trash.  have you tried putting his collar further up on his neck?  if you put it right behind his ears and keep the leash without slack, you have complete control over his head, and he won't be able to put it down to take up food.  this would also keep him by your side.  not sure if it would help with pulling though.  the GL will help with the pulling and the control over his head though, just be careful b/c a wrong fit can lead to him wiggling out of it.  i agree with luvmymal on taking the bowl away, this could cause you to get bit and if he's acting like this i don't see how it could help. if he wasn't acting protective i could see, but not agressive.  like i said, we hold our bowls, and even diesel who was very resource protective, has given in to us, and trusts us now.  we took the time to build that trust up, with taking the bowl away you break that trust right away, so giving him the treat IMHO makes no lead way.  just my opinion, i know everyone is entitled to their own.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline MRSL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 01:17:24 pm »
I dont use his collar when walking I use a padded harness and a bungi lead.I swap the lead over when we get to the hills and have him on a long line for the "come" command.

He will only pull a little when he see someone and wants to say hello. Mind you I think he'd be off if he saw a bird or a squirrel. I use his collar in the house with a training lead and im not really worried about his pulling as its not bad for a 5 month pup and he will walk to heel (almost  ;D) At first I thought he was hungry but he's walked after his meals. So im lost  :-\ yet we have no probs with his chew toys or bones, he brings them to you for a play. He will sit and stay for his food till you tell him "take it" I tried the rattle bottle and he thought it was something else for eating. ::) lol
I guess the only way is not to let go of the bowl  ;D  mind you its a good way of making sure he's not scoffing it down so fast . He always had hiccups after his meals and thats stopped now  ;)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 01:28:24 pm »
glad things are working out!  how well does the bungee cord leash work?  do you know if you will still be able to use it (with confidence) when he's an adult??  just curious, as i've never seen one!  any info would be great to learn!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 09:39:00 pm »
He will definitely get a lot stronger. Cesar's techinique is from the dog whisperer. We actually watch it a lot and his techniques have helped with the two I have. Nala is actually getting a collar that is higher up on her neck, due to the one we have slipping. For leashes, we use Kelti leashes and only harness for hiking. This is just my opinion, but it seems to help a little because they know when harness is on they can pull (which we are teaching pulling now) when collar is on we must heal. I will admit at times it is very hard when a squirrell, cat, or rabbit runs by to contain both of them, I have actually had to grab a pole before when a duck was nearby. Tonka is wonderful and pretty much heals all the time, Nala on the other hand, will heal until we pass the ducks or when we are jogging. It is a bit hard for me to hold her directly beside me while jogging because she is use to running with Tonka.