Author Topic: Dane and Saint Owners... Need You Candid Opinions  (Read 11568 times)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Dane and Saint Owners... Need You Candid Opinions
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 09:43:25 am »
I will give another vote for the Saint Bernard. Saints are truely wonderful, but instead of telling you how great they are I will tell you why you might not want one.

1. They are HUGE. Only second to the OEM in largest dog size. At 33 inches and 190lbs, Hutch is BIG. So with their monsterous size comes all of the monsterous vet bills. Antibiotics for a 190lb dog are not cheap. A car will not comfortably fit 2 giant breed dogs. They do think that they are lap dogs, and they will find a way to fit part of their body onto your lap, so be prepared for legs that lose all feeling.

2. DROOL!! If anyone tells you that they have a Saint that does not drool, then they do not have a Saint. I wipe drool from my walls, drool from my ceiling, drool from the floor, drool off of the television. We have drool rags everywhere. Oh, and most of all they love to drool on your guests.

3. They do shed. Not outrageous amounts, but a male weighing on average 175lbs has a very big body. Big body means lots of fur to cover it. I guess now is the time to mention the rough and smooth coats that Saints can have. A rough will leave more of a shedding mess behind than the smooth, but they do both shed! Black is not a color that we wear inside of our house. I have some of my favorite black things in plastic bags to protect them from the fur!

4. Especially important because you are wanting to rescue. There have been many BYB's for Saints because of all of the Beethoven movies. We all know that BYB=Problems. Saints do have a variety of health problems typical to the breed. Not only are their a multitude of joint problems, but eye, heart, bloat, and many more, and very important to note, temperment problems. SAints should be bred with temperment in mind, They are suppose to be gentle giants, but irresponsible breeding has lead to temperment problems wothy of considering. It is not uncommon for Saints to be same sex aggressive, and especially because you have an intact male already another male might not suit you so well. This is important to consider especially if you were to adopt an adolescent Saint who has not fully matures and come into their own yet! The temperment differences between a year old Saint and a 2 year old can be noticed. What was once your happy-go-lucky year old may now bark when a stranger comes to the door, or not like other dogs of the same sex. Not all Saints are like this by a long shot, but it is important to remember that BYB's have played a huge role in the surge of Saints in shelters and rescues and that Saint Bernards are on the list of top ten dog bite fatalities measured by the Center for Disease and Control.

5. They are very much people dogs. They don't have to be right on top of you all of the time, but they do have to be included in the family. They thrive because of the love their family gives them! Because of this can be known to have seperation anxiety, luckily a problem I don't have. It doesn't take long for an anxious Saint to destroy a couch.

Saints take a special kind of owner, like all of the giant breeds do. But the thing that keeps me coming back to the Saint Bernard is the goofy, loving, noble, companionship that they provide.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 11:53:49 am »
Well, I am eventually planning on another furkid in addition to Bella, and I have been thinking about another Saint or a Dane, so I am finding this very interesting!!! What I can tell you about Bella:

She does shed. She's a smooth coat, but that doesn't make much difference except that the hair that is all over the house is a bit shorter.  Expect to be covered with white hairs everytime you leave the house!

She is a lap dog. She spends all her time sleeping and lounging, except for when we go to the park. If you're on the couch, then she's on you. She doesn't dicriminate either. It can be a guest, or me or the boys.  So, at least with Bella, everyone who comes over here must like Saints! 

She's submissive.  She's very happy not to be boss, so I think she get's along easier with other dogs. 

I can't think of anything negative I could say about her really that would be general to Saints.  I chose the breed because I have two small boys, and she has been the perfect match. She loves them, watches them, cuddles with them, makes forts with them, and watches movies for hours on the couch with them.  I think Danes are like that too. 

Good luck on your choice! I think either way you and Ranger will be very happy campers! ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

dohertyswissy

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 01:16:59 pm »
All this information is great guys and I really appreciate all your honest feedback!  This is not a decision I am making quickly and I think visiting with both breeds will be helpful too. 

Rebekah - Thanks for letting me know about some of the groups being hesitant to adopt a dog out to an owner with an intact dog.  I hadn't thought of that!  I am absolutely in agreement that spaying and neutering dogs is important!  Ranger is intact due to an agreeement with the breeder, since he is pretty much a perfect representation of the breed and may consider breeding him.  Hopefully that will suffice.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 02:41:02 pm »
I saw this girl advertised on the Dallas Craigslist and thought I would throw her out there for you.  This way you wouldn't have to make a decision between the Saints and the Danes.  You would have the best of both worlds.  Good luck with your decision.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/pet/258456380.html
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 03:21:35 pm »
how can she "could be ckc" when she's a dne / saint mix??
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 03:25:17 pm »
That I don't know.  Does CKC let anyone register their dog? 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 03:29:09 pm »
i read their regulations, it doesn't say anything about registering mixed breeds...  they might have changed it??  i'm not sure, but i found this and thought it was VERY interesting!

6a. CKC reserves the right to refuse registration to any person or to revoke or suspend the club member privileges of any member who is convicted of a crime of cruelty to animals in any state, province, or country.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Lyn

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 05:40:25 pm »
I'm betting it's the Continental kennel club, as far as I know they register mixed breeds. The Canadian kennel club doesn't.

I was going to add my 2 cents about Saints but everyone already mentioned what I was going to say.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 05:42:22 pm by Lyn »

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 04:32:07 pm »
Okay, I want a Dane, but I only have a Saint for now, so here's my info.

Drool problems? Not here for me. Dolly drools when she drinks and just a bit when she eats. Other than that, we don't get slingers or drool on the ceiling, but maybe we're just lucky.

Shedding? Dolly's a long-haired girl and honestly, cat hair is worse than hers! A good brushing reveals lots of hair coming out, but otherwise, I never notice it.

Size? My Dolly doesn't seem huge to me. 25 inches tall at the shoulder and maybe 115-120 pounds and she's 1 1/2 years old, so she may be done growing, but not sure. Danes are obviously bigger!

Okay, now here's my fave part. Personality! Saints are the most gentle, loveable, sweet dogs ever. They like to play, but they are not hyperactive. Loyal as ever. Great with other dogs! They like water! Love kids and everyone else for that matter. Which doesn't make them the best guard dogs, but they'll bark at the occasional cat or sqirrel.  ;) Dolly is a total love. Very sensitive. If I raise my voice to her at all, she cowers and runs in circles. So they don't need a real strong hand as far as discipline is concerned. But they do need an able-bodied owner. For walks, she isn't overzealous and doesn't drag me down the street. But if she got it in her mind to, you would need to be ready. They like to lean on you and get in your face for attention because they adore being loved on, but don't let them tell you when to pet them. Be the alpha and ignore them once in awhile. It's good for them!  ;)

Food consumption? Saint Bernards will eat an entire bag of food in one day if you let them! Free feeding is a no-no for them! They are prone to obesity and joint problems can result from this. Keep the weight off them! You won't regret it! Dolly gets 2 scoops (4 cups) of food a day. That's it. And she ain't skinny!

Bad habits? They dig to stay cool in summer and Dolly loves to chew wood! (namely our fence!) But most of them aren't fence jumpers that I know of or serious house wreckers. Potty training was easy. I don't think she ever had an accident in the house. That's all I can think of though!

Saint Bernards are just that...saints. Good luck in your decision!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."