Author Topic: Puppies parents  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Puppies parents
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:37:46 pm »
I just got pics of the puppies parents,and wanted your opinions on them.It's a 2 hr drive to see them,so I want to be sure I even want to go look before I drive that far.Mom( 150lbs) is on top,Dad(165 lbs) on bottom.Thanks again :)
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Puppies parents
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 08:57:24 pm »

How about OFA certifications?  Since most Saints are dysplastic, this should be priority number 1.  Mom here looks like she has very poor structure.

Also, what other health certifications have been done? Is there an ancestral history of laryngeal paralysis? Bloat?
Torn cruciates? Entropian?  Heart problems? Epilepsy? temperament problems?

All of these problems run in this breed......

I would never recommend a puppy be selected based on looks - and highly recommend that you evaluate health and temperament to base your decision.....
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline annaaul

• Gnawer
  • Mason and Daisy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:36:40 pm »

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:43:12 pm »
Now you tell me,5 days after the unnamed pup already came home >:( NOw it's too late I already love him.I know you said looks aren't that important,but when I went to pick him up I did get to see his parents and Mom doesn't look like that in person.I was impressed with the looks of both the parents.I will email her and ask her about the health certs though.

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 01:14:47 pm »
First let me say the smily in the last post was supposed me frown and not angry.I don't want anyone to get upset with me.After I posted I emailed the breeder I got the pup from and asked her about the health certs.Here is her reply:

"I have never had any issues with our dogs, nor has the families that I purchased ours through.  I do not get the health certs, as I learned from our Newfie breeder that has been breeding for 30 plus years.  They would not do you any good unless you could have every single one tested back 15 years.   Just like in humans you never know what would come down from someone many generations back.  I feel nutrition is very, very important.  That is why I stress the importance of the large breed puppy food.  It has alot of extra nutrients that are necessary to help him grow properly and strengthen his bones for him."

So I guess all in all it was a learning experince for me if I decide to add another pup some where down the road.Not likly though since I can't even come up with a name for this one ;) Thanks for the education.

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 01:41:21 pm »
First let me say the smily in the last post was supposed me frown and not angry.I don't want anyone to get upset with me.After I posted I emailed the breeder I got the pup from and asked her about the health certs.Here is her reply:

"I have never had any issues with our dogs, nor has the families that I purchased ours through.  I do not get the health certs, as I learned from our Newfie breeder that has been breeding for 30 plus years.  They would not do you any good unless you could have every single one tested back 15 years.   Just like in humans you never know what would come down from someone many generations back.  I feel nutrition is very, very important.  That is why I stress the importance of the large breed puppy food.  It has alot of extra nutrients that are necessary to help him grow properly and strengthen his bones for him."

So I guess all in all it was a learning experince for me if I decide to add another pup some where down the road.Not likly though since I can't even come up with a name for this one ;) Thanks for the education.

Oh, yikes!

Just an FYI. Large-breed puppy food isn't appropriate for giant breed puppies. Too high in protein! If you already know this...sorry!!!! Somewhere there is a thread here called "Holly's food dissertation" it will give you the low-down on nutrition. I'll try to find it and post the link. But, its really important to feed a good low-protien food to try and avoid developing too much mass too quickly.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:56:44 pm »
I'm of the mind to be aware of the possible issues but don't let them bother you until they have to. 

I went through the EXACT same thing!  Teddy is from a BYB - he took my cash and I've never seen or heard from him again.  No guarantees and no papers.

Teddy just turned a year.  So far so good. Knock on wood *Penny raps on her forehead*.  My friend hasn't been so lucky, at 6 mos her Saint needed eye surgery.

He's home - just enjoy him until something comes up.  Unless you are prepared to give him up, its too late now anyway!!  LOL!

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 02:43:59 pm »
I'm wth Penny. Your unnamed baby is home now so enjoy him and  don't worry about things until you have to. Health certs and references are important to make sure your breeder is reputable but even the most perfect parents & breeders can get dogs with the bad genes.  :( Life is a lottery and you just never know how things will be. Take my Bear for instance, he had all of his certs & comes from a great line but he, unfortunately, has elbow dysplasia. Would I ever give him back?? NO! Not for a million dollars and no, I would't ever trade my breeder either. I'll take one of her big guys any day just cuz I love them & her so much.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline annaaul

• Gnawer
  • Mason and Daisy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 02:39:43 pm »
jabear is right!  Love him to death!  I got Mason through a reputable breeder, he had papers, certs., and his parents were show dogs.  With all that, he still had excess cartilage in one eye.  So, you never know.  Just love him and take the best care you can for him.  Whatever happens, happens!  Did you name him yet?

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 03:03:13 pm »
I went through all of this with Bella, and although it's still pretty early on to make any assumptions, I think I will get lucky with some things, and not with others.  For example, I don't know what was happening at that breeders house and/or in the puppy "pen" during feedings, but Bella has serious food issues! It makes me so crazy. I realize now I should have maybe seen the litter during feeding time too, but I was very focused on health issues and temperment as it relates to boys. Anyhoo, long story short (I am notoriously bad for long posts), as much as you might try to do the right thing, and find the perfect puppy, it's a toss up... even if you find the BEST breeder with the BEST line ever- there's still a chance. Don't sweat it.  Like other's said, just love with wild abandon!   ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat