Author Topic: I'm so sad! Special just isn't fitting in!  (Read 6521 times)

Nicole

I'm so sad! Special just isn't fitting in!
« on: December 30, 2006, 09:58:24 am »
Ugh. I hate to do this, but I think Special has to go to another foster home.

She just has this very high anxiety level and I don't know what else to do to bring it down. She paces paces paces paces paces...I take her to the beach EVERY DAY! I love on her...everythi ng. But she just has this huge anxiety.

AND...she's going in her crate. I don't know what to do about that. I give her her last meal at 5pm, and her last potty at like, 11pm. The water gets taken up at around 7pm. But, she's going in her crate! Maybe like, once a week?! ITS HORRIBLE!

She just isn't fitting in and its putting a lot of strain on my family. Mark and Molly are being good sports, but its still getting really hard.

I guess I thought that life with a Newf would be way more laid back. She is more energetic than my Am. Bully was! She absolutely NEVER sleeps! EVER! She never stops moving!

I feel horrible and I just needed to vent.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: I'm so sad! Special just isn't fitting in!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 10:03:53 am »
so sorry things aren't working out!  do you know what kind of situation she came from before you guys rescued her?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 10:35:15 am »
She sounds alot like my Allie . Allie is a year and a half old and still potties in her crate at least once a week and then continues to splash it/smear it all over the room . My husband finally got our fence fixed so Allie cannot escape anymore and we spend as much time outside as possible , and then whenever she is inside she either needs a frozen PB Kong , bone , etc , or she has to be with us or she will destroy something . She never sits still ! So I totally feel your pain , it was really hard on us for awhile but we've kind've got things down finally . I know it must be hard for you as you know you're not keeping her . I'll be praying for you !
-Amy
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline FumbsAuntie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 06:22:19 am »
Im sorry you're having a hard time.. I will not lie, you think Newfs are very laid back and slow moving. Well i think it must be a puppy thing because FUmble sometimes has more energy than any other dog iv'e seen.. we never had the housetraining problem, he caught on very quickly. But with the energy like everyone said it might be an infection or something. there are different types of things you can give dogs to help with their anxiety. Our grandmother adopted our shi-zu when we were moving and she became very anxious always shaking and scratching at the furniture, carpets, and doors.. she began giving her something eiren suggested in her water and it seems to have worked.. she still shakes a bit but thats small dogs at old age too.
Good luck with everything, i hope it works out

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 10:44:52 am »
Aw, guys.

Thanks. She is getting rescue remedy every day. It doesn't really seem to be helping. And, as far as the UTI thing, I guess I could take her to get checked out for that...but it seems unlikely since she is peeing AND pooping in the house and her crate. She just isn't connecting with us AT ALL. Well, she is with me but when there is anyone else around, she just ignores them and then kind of ignores me, too.

And its weird...it doesn't seem like an energy issue...it really seems more like a nervous thing. I take her to the beach for an hour or two everyday. It doesn't really seem to impact her one way or the other.

Putting her in her crate helps, because she instantly calms in it. But, I can't keep her in there all the time! But, I basically can't trust her for ANY amount of time unsupervised, which really stresses me out. I know big paws take longer to mature and all, but she's 3 years old...its not like she is just a puppy.

Well, she has a potential adopter, so we'll see how that all works out. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the suggestions!!  :-*

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 10:12:31 am »
Yeah, Julie.

I think she was kennelled or confined in some way. I just know that she was separated from the other dogs for some reason.

Its so sad. Poor girls.

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:03:12 pm »
I guess she has a forever home in NC? I'm not sure anymore than that. I think that a transport is in the works, but haven't heard any details.

She comes from a breeder, Winddancer Newfs in MO. The breeder is supposed to be a decent breeder, but I don't really know her myself or anything about her. I think that for some reason, Special was just separated. It clearly has made her into the anxious dog that she is. I hope that her forever home knows what they are dealing with.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 02:50:04 pm »
i hope her new family understands, and doesn't just give her away!  i feel so sorry for the girl, she sounds so sweet!  i hope she has luck in healing from her previous life!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 04:12:34 pm »
Me, too. With lots of love and support, she'll come around (I hope). Is she no longer with you?

J

She's still with us. I haven't gotten the word yet about when she'll be on her way to her new home.

k2campbell

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 08:31:17 pm »
Aw, the poor girl - I feel terrible for her.  Julie is right - some people just shouldn't have dogs (or pets) for that matter...

I hope her forever home knows what they're in for.  I truly hope she finds the right home, someone that has the time and patience to work with her relentlessly (sp?) to give her the loving home she deserves  :)

I hope you are doing alright too Nicole, I'm sure it's a lot to handle ;)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 09:34:28 pm »
anyone that calls me is given the speach that newfs are not laid back bear rugs that the net descriptions give on them, they are WORKING DOGS
so anyone that can admit that theyare to much deserves a medal
now, the solution, i hope you can f9ind one!
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505