Author Topic: American Mastiff or an American Bulldog? Hmmm This is a hard decision.  (Read 11979 times)

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
In a few months, I'll be moving in a house. As you all know, I already have a Greyhound named Lucy. I would LOVE a second dog. I'm looking at the American Bulldog & the American Mastiff as my choices. Does anybody out there have a opinion on either of these dogs? They will have their own yard, and must be good with childern & cats. I will probally get this future dog as a puppy, so I'm really not worried to much about the cats, as it will grow up with them, but I do want a gentle tempered dog. Thanks in advance!!

Offline Sambones

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I've had an American Bulldog since '97 when she was born.  She is very gentle, loving, loyal and smart - scarey sometimes how smart.  I have a grandson who is gentle but still only 2 years old so when he falls on Britt or trips over her, she doesn't even flinch.  Just looks up to see what's going on now!  She protects him by standing by his side when he's playing and just watches over him.  She's fawn and white and from the same blood line as the dog in 'Homeward Bound' and I'll definitely have an American Bulldog in my home till the day I die.  Best dog ever.

Nicole

I had an American Bulldog, and have fostered one as well. Both of them were wonderful! Sweet, tolerant, protective...M y last one (like Sambone's) didn't even seem to notice when kids pulled on him or fell on him. He loved the cats, even though he didn't meet them until he was 8 months. He got along GREAT with every other dog he ever met! I absolutely LOVED him!!! And, the foster dog was sweet in all the same ways! Go for the bulldog!

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
Thanks for the info. My boyfriend and I are leaning towards the Amercian Bulldog. It's hard to find anything bad about them. All the info is greyt! Thanks so much!

Offline rv581

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
I don't know much about American Bulldogs, but I do know a lot about American Mastiffs.  One of 'em is by my feet right now!

If you travel a lot (and have to leave the dog all alone for extended hours at a time) or are looking for a jogging companion for long trips, then an AM won't be a good fit for your lifestyle.  But if you have the space in your yard/ home, aren't the kind of person to go on all-day hikes, and your weekday doesn't force you to leave your dog alone for 7+ hours a day... then I couldn't imagine a better dog than an AM.

They're super-sized (males routinely grow in excess of 225 lbs), super-smart, super-loyal, and super-healthy (12+ years lifespan is not atypical).  Mine was completely housebroken at 10-weeks, never ruined any furniture or shoes with his teething, and doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.  I couldn't be happier with the breed -- or how helpful & accountable the AM breeders are.

If you have any specific AM questions, please let me know.  Good luck!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Both are relatively new breeds.  This will raise the chances of you not getting what you expected.  Be careful and research your breeder carefully.  Since AKC doesn't recognize these breeds, you lack the (small amount) control that AKC is supposed to maintain on a breed.
I vote you get an Old English Mastiff but that is because I have one.  OEM are the original mastiff in which American Mastiff are a mix of.  You might have access to more breeders and longer pedigrees.  American Bulldogs are originally mixed the Pitt bulls so be sure to check local regulations on Pit bulls because I have seen places that lump American Bulldogs with Pits.

Good luck, I am sure whatever you chose will be perfect for you and your family. :)
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline rv581

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile

I vote you get an Old English Mastiff but that is because I have one.  OEM are the original mastiff in which American Mastiff are a mix of.  
This is true.  AMs were developed because OEMs have so many truly magnificant traits & wonderful characteristic s... but unfortunately, a significant number of 'em carry painful problems that can greatly impede your quality of life while cohabitating with such a large animal... namely shorter lifespans, messy, incessant drooling, hip ailments, etc.  AMs were bred to have a tighter lip, so drooling isn't an issue (mine only drools when it's extremely hot -- or if he just woofed down half the water bowl!), and healthwise, they live as long as smaller breeds (12+ years).  The other positives are that they are just as big as OEMs (many are bigger -- one AM owner has a dog that's 275 lbs -- and still growing!), are docile, loving family pets, and highly intelligent.

Really, it's not about finding the right dog -- it's about finding the dog that's right for you.  OEMs have many positives that AMs lack (OEMs tend to be cheaper to acquire, there's less of a waiting list, you can enter them into all the canine shows, and undoubtedly there are more OEMs than AMs in your hometown).  So there are clearly positives & negatives...

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Maia is an OEM and doesn't drool except when very hot, having just had a drink, her smelling people food but so do most dogs.  The vet says she has great hips.  The vet also predicts she will live 10-12 years as long as I keep her in a healthy lifestyle.  I think that when trying to promote the American Mastiff, there are a lot of false accusation made toward the OEM.  All the health problems mentioned above about OEM depends on the quality of the breeding used to create the actual dog.  Yes OEM are known to drool, dogs are known to drool and saying all American Mastiffs drool is like saying all Labradoodle's are hypo allegenic. 

I am protective of the OEM name.  I'm sure American Mastiffs are great dogs, I am not knocking the breed.  I am just weary of breeders getting in on the new high price designer dog breeds.
Thanks,

Offline rv581

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
 I think that when trying to promote the American Mastiff, there are a lot of false accusation made toward the OEM.  
Not at all -- and not from my part (although I have noted an unpleasant elitist veneer from OEMs in regards to AMs).  Since AMs and OEMs share 7/8 of DNA, not liking one while loving the other would be the equivalent of gagging on Coke & finding Pepsi near-orgasmic.  Since I love AMs, I also love OEMs.

But the truth of the matter is that AMs were developed for a reason -- by experienced OEM breeders, no less.  And that reason was that OEMs are wonderful, magnificant animals -- but carry some unfortunate, highly problematic traits.  It's the hope of the AM breeders that the postive traits in OEMs would still remain, but that the negative traits (drooling, lifespan, health, etc.) would be minimized.  Whether or not you personally mind the negative OEM traits, or if your individual dog doesn't carry those negative traits in abundance, is another issue entirely... but when evaluating different breeds, it's important to note the rationale behind their origins.

All breeds -- and all dogs -- have positive and negative aspects.  For OEMs & AMs, their similarities are so similar, their positive & negative apects are also similar -- but with a few distinct differences, which I'm trying to articulate.

Offline Daffodil

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Don't know about the mastiffs, but I love the American Bulldogs.  There are, however, 2 different styles of types of them  - one being more "bully" in looks than the other. They are recognized, registered and shown quite a lot in the United Kennel Club.

Check out UKC's website for their breed standard for the American Bulldog.  www.ukcdogs.co m Look on the Dog Events page, then Breeds.  This breed is under guardian dogs.

HTH!

Daffodil

Offline Jennygirl

• Gnawer
  • Benny (from heavan) 4 months
    • View Profile
What kind od dog is the black one in the pic..zhe looks like my Bruno
jenny/Benny/Teesha
and my forever dog Bruno!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
What kind od dog is the black one in the pic..zhe looks like my Bruno

Rocco is a Newf/Rott mix.  He's almost three and a huge baby.  I got him from a small county shelter.  He was supposed to be a Rott but his light markings never showed up.
Thanks,

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
If you travel a lot (and have to leave the dog all alone for extended hours at a time) or are looking for a jogging companion for long trips, then an AM won't be a good fit for your lifestyle. But if you have the space in your yard/ home, aren't the kind of person to go on all-day hikes, and your weekday doesn't force you to leave your dog alone for 7+ hours a day... then I couldn't imagine a better dog than an AM."

"They're super-sized (males routinely grow in excess of 225 lbs), super-smart, super-loyal, and super-healthy (12+ years lifespan is not atypical). Mine was completely housebroken at 10-weeks, never ruined any furniture or shoes with his teething, and doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. I couldn't be happier with the breed -- or how helpful & accountable the AM breeders are.

If you have any specific AM questions, please let me know. Good luck!"

I love to walk, Lucy loves it as well. At least a min. of an hour a day. I do not jog, no way!! LOL :D However I do work 8HRS a day, and so does my BF. The dog would not be left "alone" as he would be with Lucy. (It will be male as Lucy is a very dominant female, will not tolerate another female at all)
The size of the dog does not bother me, the larger the better I say! I do expect to take obedience classes and training will be on the top of the list of things to do. I love a smart, loyal dog! Lucy has a long life span as well, so this is good. (12+ yrs) I'm glad that they do not tend to be aggressive as I have no need for that. At the moment it's just the two of us, but I'm sure in the lifetime of my dog(s) I will have childern to worry about as well. This is why I want to research and get all the help I can in regards to the two breeds I have narrowed it down too.

Thanks so much everyone for the greyt answers! ;D Please keep them coming!!

Renee & Lucy