Author Topic: Interesting Facts.....  (Read 13053 times)

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
Interesting Facts.....
« on: March 23, 2005, 02:46:08 pm »
From the AKC.ORG website..... check it out

http://www.akc.org/breeds/greyhound/did_you_know.cfm

Enjoy!!!

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
Re: Interesting Facts.....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 02:48:28 pm »
copied from the akc.org website.....

Greyhound History
The Greyhound is one of the most ancient breeds known to man, and can be traced to almost every country on every continent on the globe. The first evidence of the breed was discovered in Egypt, with carvings in old tombs dating back to 2900 and 2751 B.C. depicting dogs of unmistakable Greyhound type attacking deer and mountain goats. While these Egyptian scenes established Greyhounds at a very early date the first complete description of the breed comes from a Roman source, written by Ovid, who lived from 43 B.C. to A.D.17. There is little doubt that the dog of ancient times is the same as the one we know today.

Aristocracy and culture has always surrounded the Greyhound, and in early times royalty only bred them. England has played an important role in the development of the breed, with the first illustrations dating back to the 9th century. It was used on practically all kinds of game from deer, stags, foxes and such, but the hare is the Greyhound's natural quarry. Formal coursing events came on the scene over two centuries ago.

In America, Greyhounds can be traced back to the 1500's, brought in by Spanish explorers to "guard, hunt, intimidate and punish their enemies-in this case, the Indians". During the American Revolution, a huge Greyhound named Azor always accompanied George Washington. Greyhounds were among the first dogs recorded at American dog shows, with an entry of 18 exhibited at the Westminster Kennel Club show in 1877. They were in the second edition of the AKC Stud Book in 1885 with listings of three males and five bitches. Today the breed's most valued trait is companionship - a lovely dog with a lively personality.

Offline GreytGirl

• Gnawer
  • Sleepy Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 12:18:48 pm »
Along with the Custer fact on the akc site, I've read in several places that his wife despised the dogs. One reason being that several would often sleep in the bed with them and she herself thought this inappropriate.
To each his (in this case, HER, rather) own. Of course, I fell in love from Day 1, so I can't understand why she would hate them.
 ;)

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 10:27:01 am »
I agree. It was love at first sight for me and Lucy too. She sleeps with me every night, what a queenie! LOL

Offline Dragonflyte

• Gnawer
  • Just a few of my "Big" dogs. (and one little one)
    • View Profile
    • Dragonflyte Creations
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 12:02:49 pm »
Along with the Custer fact on the akc site, I've read in several places that his wife despised the dogs. One reason being that several would often sleep in the bed with them and she herself thought this inappropriate.
To each his (in this case, HER, rather) own. Of course, I fell in love from Day 1, so I can't understand why she would hate them.
 ;)

It is my understanding that she didn't really HATE her husbands GH's.  She merely felt distain towards one of his favorites, Byron.

Elizabeth Custer even wrote about Byron with admiration of his beauty and grace, but at the end she wrote: "The tribute that a woman pays to beauty in any form, I gave to Byron; but I never cared much for him."
That was because Byron used to push her out of Custer's bed while he lay with the General himself!
Jeanni and the Hounds of Dragonflyte

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 02:27:13 pm »
LOL, I can picture Byron in my head doing that!!! Lucy gets so upset when she has to share "her" bed!!

Renee & Lucy

Offline Denjen323

• Gnawer
  • My Sleeping Boy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 09:01:25 pm »
 ;D
Hi all I am pretty new to this site and wanted to say about this bed thing...Our beautiful boy Brandon never went in our bed or on the couch ever...we assumed he was taught that was a no..no..
We had to go away for a few days and had a friend watch him (she owns a greyhound so she understand's their needs)
NOW he is on the bed/couch/love seat and kids bed...
We can't get him down if we coaxed him with a treat.
(oops I said that too loud..he heard me...lol)
So now our 45mph couch potato has given up his nice bed on the floor (a huge huge pillow and two square pillows for his head to lay on) for the couch or our king size bed...
I think I might have to get a bigger bed or move into the kids room for more space and just give up all together...lol

Jennifer (Brandon's momma)

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 06:21:08 am »
 :) Brandon must love your friend for showing him how to be a dog!! Couches Rule!!

Renee & Lucy!