Author Topic: Danes & Newfies  (Read 2450 times)

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Danes & Newfies
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:44:11 pm »
Hi all!  I have a 6 month(ish) old newfy girl and I'm thinking I might want to get her a buddy.  I really like Great Danes.  Here's my question - would they live well together?  Lucy is ALWAYS warm.  I used to keep my thermostat at 73 but I've had to change my ways this winter and keep the temp around 65 because otherwise she just paces and pants and drives me insane!!  What kind of temperature requirements do Great Danes have?  Also, other than the temperature thing is there anything else breed specific that I should take into consideration? 

Thanks!  You are all great!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Danes & Newfies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:28:08 pm »
we keep our therm. on 69 usually, and our danes stay comfortable.  they tend to sleep in a doggie pile next to our bed, until hubby leaves then they hop up in with us.  i love our danes, they're great dogs!  the only thing i can think of about breed specific, and it really isn't that, is to be careful or HD, and i guess ED (i haven't had any problems with that, somebody else would know more about it)  keep us posted!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:38:21 pm »
I have Pyrs, a Newfie mix and Danes. I dont keep the house extremely warm- maybe 65 most of the time and they all do pretty good- The Danes are a bit more sensitive to the colder outside temps and they wont stay out as long as the rest of them. Danes are wonderful. I will never ever be with out a Dane as long as I am able to care for one properly. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 02:51:59 pm »
Just make sure there is enough food in the pantry, enough room on your couch and in your bed...and that you don't mind the occasional head bonk (fat lip), toe mash, or pouty pets---you'll be just fine!  Seriously, there's been ice on the ground here for about a week and they don't want to go out to potty, but will.  And they enjoy playing in the snow as long as they can go in where it is WARM afterwards.

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 04:03:53 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  It's given me lots to consider and think over!  My girl LOOOOOOVES to play with other dogs which is what made me think about it in the first place.  As for the having enough room in the bed and on the couch, dogs aren't allowed on either in my house - so it wouldn't be a problem.  But I would definetly have enough food!!

I'm considering an older dog one that is young enough to still want to play with her but old enough to not have all the "puppy issues" that I just got out of with Lucy. LOL