Author Topic: which gender to add???  (Read 2667 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
which gender to add???
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:28:20 pm »
  I posted about a week ago that i might be adding a little pit bull puppy to our family. our neighbors dog is pregnant, and our dogs have grown up with the mom and dad of the puppies and get along great with them, so we are considering getting a pup. ive done a lot of rersearch about the breed and most of what ive read says that it is preferable to add a dog of the other gender than what you have. BUT I have a male golden retriever, and a female collie mix. my golden is extremely submissive to every dog it meets, and my collie mix female is also quite submissive, so, i am just wondering, do you guys think it would be better to add one gender over the other? or does it not matter since both my dogs are so submissive?
 thanks for any input,
 Leah

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: which gender to add???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:16:45 pm »
Sorry I won't be of much help as we also have one of each. I would take your dogs and as a group pick out the new puppy, which puppy picks you, temperment has alot to do with it, do you like males /females better? Hope this helps maybe ~ alittle  :) Good luck picking and I can't wait to see some pics, IMO I don't think I would pick an aggressive one, as I would hate for it to become 'top' dog of your other 2
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 04:20:07 pm »
are your other dogs neutered/spayed?  i think probably another female would be best, as i have bull terriers and in alot of ways the rules are the same, do not add two of the same gender.  but females generally get on better imo
Good luck :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 04:30:26 pm »
being spayed / neutered does make things a LOT easier, as far as compatibility goes. it really just depends on your dogs.  our household is socialized really well, so anybody can bring any sex of dog into our house with no problems, GIVEN the other dogs are as well socialized.  dogs have different personalities though.  being a little puppy, it will have the "puppy passport" too ha ha.  if i were you though, i'd go more off of my other dogs' personalities and see what would be best.  some males don't like males, and some females don't like females.  other dogs, like mine, don't care as long as they still get their attention and mainly get their food.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 04:53:14 pm »
thanks for the info! my male dog is neutered, and my female is spayed. i would prefer to get a female pit pup, so im glad most of you said female! i will definitely take my dogs with me when it is time to pick a pup, and i will definitely try to get a non-dominant pupper. am getting very excited!
thanks guys
Leah

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:52:31 pm »
Sounds like a good plan. I, too, would try to find the most submissive female pup in the litter. That'd be your best bet. ;)

Good luck! ;D

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:55:20 pm »
I think a female would be best. But see how your dogs are with the puppies.
Coming from a house with 2 males and 1 female- the two males have fights every once and a while. There is never such and intense interaction involving the female.

Good luck :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 08:51:43 pm »
i've always had a rule.  female dogs, male cats.  i may break that rule one day and get a male dog.  i think it's a personality thing.  males can be lovely and snuggly too.  But i think if you have a male and female now...another female might be best.  no matter how well yours get along with the other dogs you know...they will have scuffs once made home with you.  it will become their teritory and they will try to dominate and have power struggles.  a female may be more submissive to the male who's already established at your house.

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 10:01:07 pm »
thanks for the input! im glad everyone thinks that a girl would be best because that is what i was leaning towards anyway. so when the time comes, i'll take my dogs and we'll all go pick out a sister for them together.
thanks,
Leah