Author Topic: training  (Read 2869 times)

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
training
« on: July 05, 2005, 09:09:01 pm »
I had talked on chat last night about treat training... does anyone use the clicker training? It is used in conjunction with treats, right?
I was just curious....

Icerotti

Re: training
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:11:37 am »
Hi, I did try clicker training with one of my rottis. Yes, it was used with treats. I found limited success with this method of training. I found the more conventional training method worked for the personilty of this rotti. However I do believe it is an individual choice, I am not condoning clicker training. The instrucor had a boarder collie who was amazing with this method of training. Katie my female rot-had a very stubborn personality. She need to have a firmer correction with the collar and lead. I did two levels of clicker training then moved on.
Good Luck with the training. ;)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 05:45:35 am »
Another thing to remember is that the clicker is just a marker.

Anyone who trains uses markers, even tho they may not realize it.

The "click" says to the dog who is trained this way, "YES!! You got it right!"

I don't use a clicker per se, I find them awkward. I just use the word YES!

Same principle. Pup learns that when he hears YES! he just went bingo and there is a reward coming. Each time you reward any behavior, it is more likely to happen again.

Each time you negatively reinforce a behavior by whatever means, a word, a touch, a look, that behavior is LESS likely to happen again.

Slick, it is EXCELLENT that you are reading and learning and educating yourself about training.

Keep it up, and if you have more questions, ask away.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 07:44:56 am »
ok, thanks guys. I'll just go with the treats then... With my luck, I would probably lose the little clickers anyhow.  :D

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 08:12:30 am »
My friend did well with clicker training on her 2 Boxers...I tried it with Samson & didn't do so well...My fault not his as I wasn't consistant...V erbal commands work better for me when Samson, being the Pyr that he is, decideds there is a darn good reason to comply to the commands..lol!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 08:15:04 am »
I didn't like the fact that I had to have the clicker with me at all times.  My dogs respond just as well to my happy voice telling them how good they are for listening.  Treats are definately and incentive to obey at my house.  Maia is very sincetive and will obey just to avoid the upset voice, which is just deep and a little louder than the happy voice.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs