Author Topic: We're New Here!  (Read 5513 times)

DenverFurKiddos

We're New Here!
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:29:53 pm »
Hello!  Winton and I are new to this board!  My husband and I rescued Winston last week from a woman who could no longer take care of him.  We initally went to meet him ONLY; however,  we quicky discovered that he was living amongst 25 (that's right....someo ne explain to me how that's OK!!!) other dogs, lived mostly in a crate, wore a bark collar, had a raging ear infection/mites....the list goes on.  Needless to say, he could have had rabies and I would have still taken him out of there!!!!  Despite his miserable conditions, he seems to be quite healthy (whew! no rabies!).  He's adjusting to his older Golden Retriever brother (Champ, 1 yr), and learning how to play.  He's a lover...except that's been a little problematic since he's poop eater.  UGH!!!!!!!

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for all of the great information provided on this website from grooming, to correct diets, to exercise precautions, etc.  It's been fantastic. 

I am curious, however, about one thing..... I'm wondering if his conditions may have stunted his growth???  What do you all think about a 6.5 mo Newfie at 46lbs????  Seems small to me......

Thanks so much!!!

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: We're New Here!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:26:31 pm »
It's my understanding that he should catch up given proper diet and care. Also considering where he came from he is probably not a well bred or 100% Newf - which you probably don't care about but may contribute to his small size. I'm sure you've read links about what to feed your large breed -important to keep him on the right track for growing... If not check out Holly's Dog Food Disertation, I found it really helpful. The poop eating may be connected with needing a better diet so there is hope that that will stop soon. Seems to me you saved a dog from some pretty miserable conditions and he still remains very loving-should have an excellent companion on your hands. Good Luck and Welcome.

Offline FumbsAuntie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 05:28:08 pm »
You and your husband are saints! And Winston has those beautiful amazing Newfy eyes! He looks like such a sweetie! I dont know much about a small newf, my sister and i own a 1.5 yr old newfoundland at 175lbs.!! And still growing, i think he might even weigh more he hasn't been weighed in two months.. but i do agree, im sure that he will have a huge jump in growth with the proper food and diet. I dont know if you guys are giving him suppliments, but we give Fumble glucosamine and chondriton (For his hips and joints), mega C-plus (a study shows that it can prolong the onset of hip displaysa if the dog is predisposed), flax seed oil, wheat germ oil(for his skin and hair). I hope that helps! :)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 05:47:05 pm »
Hey there and welcome to BPO ! I'm so happy Winston has been given a second chance ! I'm Amy and owned by a Newfoundland , a Newfie/Border Collie mix and a Miniature Schnauzer .

Did you call Animal Control on these horrible people ?
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Krista I

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 05:49:51 pm »
Wow, you got yourself a beautiful boy there!  Why do these people have so many dogs??? are they running a puppy mill?  That is just so wrong, they should definitely be reported I think!  Those poor dogs don't deserve to live that way at all.  I'm glad to hear Winston Is healthy, that's a bonus!  He's absolutely stunning!!  keep the pics coming  ;)  Oh, and I'm Krista I have a beautiful shephard/lab, Charlie,  (rescued) and I just got a beautiful saint bernard, Timber.

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:52:41 pm »
Welcome.I am so glad Winston found you and your husband. He is a very handsome boy ;D I can't wait to see more pictures of him. That is very sad about his former living conditions.

I am Michelle owned by Puck the rotti, Farley the Vizsla and Rosie the weimaraner :)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 02:35:24 pm »
Hi and Welcome (sorry it's alittle late) I watched your slide she and your pups look awesome. Champ seems to be very understanding of his new big~little brother. and Winston seems to fitting into a 'home' lifestyle very comfortably. Hope you like it here at BPO everyone is so awesome and very helpful  :)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 02:46:49 pm »
Welcome! Great gallery pics of Winston and Champ! OMG I cannot believe how much Winston looks like my pup, Bear a Newf/Cane Corso mix who is 18mos old and about 95lbs now.

Offline Pyr Pack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 03:33:49 pm »
Do you have the study information that shows Vitamin C's effect on hip dysplasia onset.  Xena's brother was tested and is predisposed, so I'm assuming Xena will be also.  Thanks! Diana

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 03:43:05 pm »
great pics!  your baby is SO cute!  i agree with everyone that there MIGHT be some mix somewhere down the line, and also that a poor diet may be the culprit for his small size.  he sure is gorgeous though.  welcome to bpo!  i'm mom to axle (akita) sheeba (akita chow) diesel and scout (great danes) and caine (pitbull) along with 2 kids and a hubby.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 08:38:11 pm »
Hi and welcome!  Thank you for rescuing Winston!  He is adorable (as is his big brother)!

I'm Jessica and am owned by two newfie girls, Sasha and Bella.  Welcome!

Offline MooseOnTheLoose

• Gnawer
  • Me & Moose
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Therapy With Crystal
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 04:19:39 pm »
how wonderful. i'm currently fostering a saint bernard and have one newf and a chow mix geriatric dog.  i've got my hands full but can't stand if a dog is living a miserable life.  the rescue has another saint they'd like me to take but i don't think i can and it's breaking my heart.  thank you for rescuing that sweet boy. 
"[He] possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man without his Vices." --Lord Byron on his Newfoundland friend, Boatswain.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 04:26:10 pm »
mooseontheloos e i'm not sure i introduced myself to you, so nice to meet you too!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]