Author Topic: Butt Problems - Sore Butt - Anal Glands?  (Read 8845 times)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Butt Problems - Sore Butt - Anal Glands?
« on: January 16, 2007, 04:46:28 pm »
Any one have any experience with this???  It seems that Cirra's anal gland is draining all the time as opposed to being impacted???  Vet expressed several weeks ago and there has not been an improvement.  There doesn't seem to be an infection?  There is not the awful smell usually associated with anal glands.  Her anus is swollen and sore.  Poor girl.  We have another appointment Thursday.  Could be several things.  Seem familar to any one???

Krista I

Re: Butt Problems - Sore Butt - Anal Glands?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 06:15:18 pm »
My sister's dog had that not long ago.  She has a miniature schnauzer, and one day she was telling me on msn that her dog's bum was really stinky, and there was stuff leaking out of it.  I told her it was probably his anal glands.  She took him to the vet, and the vet took care of it, and it hasn't come back since.  I find that odd that your poor girl is still leaking after seeing a vet...  Hopefully this time they can fix the problem.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:41:31 pm »
Nala was not oozing, but had a hemoriod type issue a while back, we now express anal glads frequently, the vet even showed me how to do it, just in case she is in desperate need and I can't get her in there in time. I swear sometimes it smells like rotten fish....please keep us posted

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:46:23 pm »
OH yeah, rotten fish x 100!! lol  It could be a hemeroid type thing or an infection which can both be treated.  Expressing anal glands is a bit trickier than it looks, if you don't do it just right you can actually cause more problems.  I hope she gets to feeling better soon!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 12:49:53 pm »
Not a fun issue to deal with.  I know last winter both Tyra and Tucker had butt problems.  If it is the anal glands have your vet show you how to express them.  It's a nasty job but will save you a trip to the vet. Are Cirra's stools soft, if so they may not be expressing naturally.

Here is a link to anal gland issues and how to express.
http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0029.htm

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 01:05:57 pm »
Any one have any experience with this???  It seems that Cirra's anal gland is draining all the time as opposed to being impacted???  Vet expressed several weeks ago and there has not been an improvement.  There doesn't seem to be an infection?  There is not the awful smell usually associated with anal glands.  Her anus is swollen and sore.  Poor girl.  We have another appointment Thursday.  Could be several things.  Seem familar to any one???
Most of the dogs who eat dry food only have this kind of problems. In order for anal glands to empty themselfs  your dog should be fed something that will make her stool hard. Turkey necks will do the job in a day!
Good luck!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 01:30:15 pm »
do you give your dog turkey necks raw or cooked?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 03:29:48 pm »
do you give your dog turkey necks raw or cooked?
Raw and only raw! Cooked bones will split! Not only it helps with anal glands but with teeth cleaning as well  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 03:30:37 pm »
thanks!  i'm still new at the feeding meet, so i'd rather ask than do it wrong and my dogs get sick. 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]