Author Topic: Advice on Difficult To Walk Dog (Pulls Hard)  (Read 4883 times)

Offline e.cheryl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Advice on Difficult To Walk Dog (Pulls Hard)
« on: July 05, 2005, 11:26:28 pm »
[/color]

Hey Folks,   ???

Any advice on teaching a large breed to heel?  Our mixed large breed dog, Nemo,  is 18 months, and still pulling way too hard on leash.  We've tried the Halti, Gentle Leader and chain collar, but we're reluctant to try the prong.  He's 104 lbs, so it's a real problem!

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
Re: Advice on Difficult To Walk Dog (Pulls Hard)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 04:50:04 am »
If you can, try letting the dog run around the yard first, before the walk, (to tire him out) If that's not possible, What I do is every time A dog pulls me. (I dogsit a lot) I turn the complete opposite way and start walking. It's very hard at first, but after a few times they do get it. I keep up encouraging noises and when they figure out to pay more attention to me, instead of the rest of the world, They always get treats. This has worked for me, I think the neighbours must think I'm completely crazy when I'm doing it, but oh well!! ;D

Good Luck!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 05:53:47 am »
By choosing not to use equipment that may help you to control your dog on walks, he is suffering, and so are you.

If a prong will help, get one.

Other hints:

It takes 2 to pull. A dog cannot pull on a loose leash.

Carry food rewards, and each time the dog is at your left side, reward him.

teach him in your house off leash to "get back" when you ask him. stand with the dog between you and a barrier such as your cabinets, put a piece of food on the dogs nose, move backwards, and help him to go with you. It takes a little time and patience, but you can do it.

at the same time, teach the dog a command for heel position. I use the word "Place".

when you walk the dog on leash, NEVER allow him to get a tight lead. No more pulling allowed, neither for the dog OR you.

If the dog starts to get out ahead of you, do one of 2 things:

Either say NOTHING, make an about face, and head in the other direction. when the dog catches up to your left side, praise and reward him.

OR TUG him back towards you. This should be a smooth pulling motion, not a sharp motion as you would give a correction. Pull the dog back as close as you can get him to heel position, and then immediately drop a big loop of slack in the lead.

Each time the dog gets out ahead of you, do one of these 2 things.

Each time he is close to your left side, praise and reward.

I also would recommend you take some sort of training class with the dog, so much of training is equipment and technique, and technique is impossible to demonstrate here, even with photos.

Good luck!
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 06:22:27 am »
You can also put a certain number of prongs facing in and a certain number facing out.

I prefer the SMALLER prong collars, I just buy extra links.

Think of this collar as a tool that will let you ENJOY walks with  your dog.

You will both be  better off if you have equipment that works. It's also unsafe to walk a dog who is pulling all the time.

These collars should be fitted so that they sit high up on the neck. This your most effective position for any collar.

This is a slip collar pictured here, but for control, THIS is where your collar must be. If it falls down the neck, no control. You're going skiing behind the dog.

Keep in mind that SMALLER sized and linked collars are more effective if t hey are at the top of the neck in this manner.

Imagine the difference between a wide belt snug around your arm, and a piano wire snug around your arm.

I also suggest that people who are against prong collars try each collar on your arm, and have someone give you a correction.

Then YOU choose which one you prefer.

;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 06:25:45 am by RedyreRottweilers »
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 08:34:31 am »
Though I am not against prong collars I was uncomfortable using one with Samson so I wentto training classes which helped greatly & when he pulls when we are out on a walk I simply stop until he wonders what the heck is going on, looks back at me & I tell him walk nice...Then we start off again...We used to sometimes take 20 minutes to walk a block...yester day I only had to correct him twice when we were out walking...Also, I have foundthat when Iwalk him on a harness for some reason the pulling alleviates greatly...Prob ably because Pyrs have a tremendous amount of power in their necks...To get him to walk at a heal I just shorten up his leash & keep him by my side using the same method...We are working on that now...Patience & consistancy seems to be the key with my dog....Good luck!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 10:05:26 am »
I had the same problem with my lab a pyr the both like to pull big time. We tried the harness that helped some but not that much. We then took them into Petsmart and fitted them with the Halti and wow what a difference they don't pull one bit. And when they try I just stop and start walking the other way.

I think trial and error is the best thing to find out what works for you and your dog.

Good luck
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 10:53:34 am »
 I really like the prong collars. It was the only way I can get a great correction out of my male rotti. They look worse then the really are. It really is a trial and error. I tried many dif collars before we settled along with the trainers advice on the prong. Good Luck

ann

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 11:05:57 am »

i use a prong on dakota but not my boxers they don't pull..i had to with dakota he is 115lbs.and my shoulders hurt so bad, now walks with him are a joy..but if your not comfertable with it then don't get one...take classes and works with him everyday and 18 months he is full energy and it should get better with age.........

ann