Author Topic: Introducing Angus!  (Read 21946 times)

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Angus!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2005, 01:55:50 pm »
You are perfectly correct that the end temperment isn't set until 2-4 years old. Goliath turned 1 on 11/13/05 so we keep a good eye on everything he does and he gets LOTS of socialization (puppy park several times a week, daily walks in the neighborhood, lots of time with our kids and their friends etc ....) spending as much time as possible with other people/animals. But still I trust his instincts over my own as far as who are "good" people. I believe that dogs (especially any breed that is basically an old fashioned castle guard dog) has the correct sense of who to trust and who not to. The real test is that you will never know you are being protected by a protective dog (as opposed to agressive) until their services are NEEDED, like the breakin incident. You would never have guessed that Goliath had a viscious bone in his body until that moment (except maybe for the stuffed .... then unstuffed toys ..... LOL). The truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as a completly trustable dog (no matter what the breed is) because no matter how we feel about them they are still animals.

BTW - the name was my wife's choice ..... sadly it was one of the conditions of getting a puppy that she got to name him ..... I would have prefered "Fluffy" or "Tiny"

Matthew and Goliath

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2005, 03:11:47 pm »
Goliath is gorgeous.  I absolutely love brindle mastiffs.  I just wanted to say happy birthday to him........... .....my dane Gunther turned 1 on 11/12.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2005, 05:30:49 pm »
Oh I understand...I was just giving you an understanding of a LGD vs a mastiff...very different in a lot of ways...

And in regards to trusting his instincts, I agree...but when it is your aunt and or brother or friend...well you have to work around it. LOL

Granted a Anatolian has a much stronger temp than a AM there is anatolian in there somewhere and you make wake up morning and have a giant anatolian on your hands
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2005, 11:59:25 pm »
So far Goliath and I seem to have pretty similar likes and dislikes in people, so hopefully it will work out well. If he doesn't like my relatives then we will just be agreeing again ;D . I still think the average dog is smarter then the average person.

PS - Happy Birthday Gunther!

Goliath is gorgeous.  I absolutely love brindle mastiffs.  I just wanted to say happy birthday to him........... .....my dane Gunther turned 1 on 11/12.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2005, 12:24:09 am »
Congrats on the new pup!
He is adorable.
More pics please.  ;D

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline dutch1204

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 05:21:01 pm »
American Mastiffs are the best.  My Duchess turned 1 in December and she is the most incredible dog.  Everyone comments on how beautiful and well behaved she is.  Congrats and enjoy.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2005, 01:24:36 am »
Angus is just as cute as can be! He looks real cuddle and snuggley. enjoy the puppy time you have they grow so fast! marina belknap
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats