Author Topic: HUNTING FOR AMERICAN MASTIFF BREEDER  (Read 59976 times)

nickerbokker

Re: HUNTING FOR AMERICAN MASTIFF BREEDER
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 02:37:19 pm »
where is marit when you need her?

nickerbokker

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 03:21:15 pm »
i think...people should stop writing in this topic.  this is not how BPOers act.

great points everyone.....n ow, lets help this person find a breeder!  they can meet the breeder, meet the dogs, maybe get one, maybe not.....it's not up to you. 

they asked for some help, and you have turned this into a pissing contest, really not having much to do with their question.

stop please.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 03:28:29 pm »
i think...people should stop writing in this topic.  this is not how BPOers act.

great points everyone.....n ow, lets help this person find a breeder!  they can meet the breeder, meet the dogs, maybe get one, maybe not.....it's not up to you. 

they asked for some help, and you have turned this into a pissing contest, really not having much to do with their question.

stop please.
Well said Nicks!...I agree that when someone asks for help that is what we should do...Now, does anyone know of a good AM breeder to answer to origional poster's inquiry? :)

nickerbokker

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 03:29:42 pm »
no i dont LMAO

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 03:40:08 pm »
Thanks Nicker,
This thread was unravveling.
Let's help them find a DOG!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 06:28:53 pm »
phew - glad it is coming to an end this whole thread was stressing me out!!!*popping another valium* :P

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 08:21:52 pm »
This is why I stayed out of this thread.  I would've said bad things :-X
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 10:39:29 pm »
Free speech is always welcome here on BPO as is freedom to feel safe within the confines of this board. We are here to talk and support one another in an accepting place where fear or retaliation is not condoned under any circumstances.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 10:48:27 pm by bigpawsadmin »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005, 04:40:13 pm »
AM's do indeed drool, however it is at the times that I expected it (when hot or after eating) and it is a lot less then I have experienced with OEM's (in my dogs case...). I love OEM's, having grown up with them in my neighborhood as a youngster. As far as I am concerned the Anatolian blood is a benefit, in terms of being slightly leaner and a "possible" health improvement. I think that being in the AKC is a good thing if you are looking to be in dog shows, however I have seen MANY "AKC papered" dogs that were ...... unsound ..... in the least. I would suggest that KBMASTIFFS is correct in that you should research heavily and carefully to determine if this is the dog for you. OEM's, AM's, and all other XL size dogs are not for beginners and have a high maintenance factor. I have been told that there have been behavorial issues with some AM's ... but there have also been behavioral issues with every other dog on the planet. I believe that how you train and treat you dog will have more of an impact on the personality then  anything else.

I did research AM's prior to getting Goliath and I have read MANY MANY things said in mastiffweb.com about them. Most have not been very nice or even well thought out (half the time it looks like a witch-hunt to me). As far as there being one true mastiff ..... I can only say that in my opinion - all dogs are essentially mutts. We have bred them from wolves for centuries for particular traits and it is up to you to pick the dog that has the traits you find must appealing. It is possible that every AM I have met (about a dozen now) have been an exception to the rule for the "breed" and are great dogs in spite of their lineage ... but I doubt it. My family and I would not give up our "BIG BABY" and maybe you will find the same happiness with whatever breed you chose.

BTW -  KBMastiffs ..... Give your gorgous puppies a big pat for me (gotta love brindles....)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 04:50:11 pm by Proliant »

Offline kpware

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 03:07:35 am »
Against my better judgement (having fought these wars before) I will give it a try. I am an American Mastiff Breeder and am a member of the American Mastiff Breed Council Executive Committee.

There are approx 12 authorized breeders of AM's. All of these breedrs have been investigated and have subscribed to the principles and ethics of the AMBC. All of these breeders use the same standard Spay/Neuter agreement and offer the same guarantee. These are basically:
1 year on congenital defects
2 years on hips and joints
Lifetime on behavior.
THis means that all AM breeders are contractually bound to take back any dog that has a beavior problem beyond the desire of the owner to deal with. We have no Rescue because of this and in the 7 years I have been raising these dogs I have not known of any that have been returned because of behavioral issues.
It is semantically incorrect to state that they are unregistered, we use the ConKC as a central registry of all breeding dogs. It is true that they are unrecognized by the AKC. This is deliberate on our parts for a number of reasons. THe primary being we do not breed to a physical standard. We breed our dogs to the best, healthiest family companion that we can breed with the least amount of drool. We have no congenital eye problems, thyroid problems (that I am aware of) and a very low (less that 1 %) incidence of noticable dysplasia. If you have any additional questions I will try to answer them

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 04:28:58 am »
Against my better judgement (having fought these wars before) I will give it a try. I am an American Mastiff Breeder and am a member of the American Mastiff Breed Council Executive Committee.

There are approx 12 authorized breeders of AM's. All of these breedrs have been investigated and have subscribed to the principles and ethics of the AMBC. All of these breeders use the same standard Spay/Neuter agreement and offer the same guarantee. These are basically:
1 year on congenital defects
2 years on hips and joints
Lifetime on behavior.
THis means that all AM breeders are contractually bound to take back any dog that has a beavior problem beyond the desire of the owner to deal with. We have no Rescue because of this and in the 7 years I have been raising these dogs I have not known of any that have been returned because of behavioral issues.
It is semantically incorrect to state that they are unregistered, we use the ConKC as a central registry of all breeding dogs. It is true that they are unrecognized by the AKC. This is deliberate on our parts for a number of reasons. THe primary being we do not breed to a physical standard. We breed our dogs to the best, healthiest family companion that we can breed with the least amount of drool. We have no congenital eye problems, thyroid problems (that I am aware of) and a very low (less that 1 %) incidence of noticable dysplasia. If you have any additional questions I will try to answer them

Wow, do any Am Mastiffs come in all black?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 01:40:40 am »
I really want to know if AM Mastiffs come in all black!??
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline rutylr

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 04:13:22 am »
I have been looking into this mixed breed(not that I wanted one)someone else asked about them so I've been looking into them to see if the people breeding are trying to do something good or just make money.
The problem I have is most of the sites I looked at stated that this breed is free of hip problems.Yet I find no American Mastiffs on the OFA site(there are ladradoodles there but
no AM Mastiffs).This looks bad to me as breeders should not advertize what they can not prove.You can not tell a dog has hip problems unless you test for it and put it out to the public to see.
I hope to start seeing them on the ofa site soon.
Donna

Offline kpware

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 01:25:08 am »
No, AM's do not come in all black. The black dog in the picture is not an AM but is a Neo Mix that was rescued by an AM owner.

Offline kpware

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 01:49:02 am »
I have been looking into this mixed breed(not that I wanted one)someone else asked about them so I've been looking into them to see if the people breeding are trying to do something good or just make money.
The problem I have is most of the sites I looked at stated that this breed is free of hip problems.Yet I find no American Mastiffs on the OFA site(there are ladradoodles there but
no AM Mastiffs).This looks bad to me as breeders should not advertize what they can not prove.You can not tell a dog has hip problems unless you test for it and put it out to the public to see.
I hope to start seeing them on the ofa site soon.
Donna

Donna,
I can only speak for myself.
Dysplasia generally appears by x ray or symptomaticall y by the time that a dog reaches 24 months. All of my breeding dogs are x-rayed before they start breeding at a minimum of three years. Most of us have not gone the OFA route because the incidence of these conditions in our dogs is so low. It is like why test for thyroid problems if in  5 generations of a true breeding dog you don't have any cases. Now I am going to be a little pedantic, a mix is the first generation result of the breeding of two separate breeds. AM's have not been bred with anything other than other AM's for 7 generation that I know of. They are the result of a breeding program that crossed two breeds with the goal of creating a new one. Just like OEM's were after WWII and WWI. Just as the original Rottweiler or Rhodesian Ridgeback were in Germany and South Africa. AKC recognition does not a breed make. AM's have beed stabilized and we are being extraordinaril y careful with bloodline to obtain and retain the maximum genetic diversity.  I pose a challenge to all "purebred" dog owners to look at the history of your breed in detail (ain't the Internet grand) and you would be surprised at how many of these  breeds were "mutts" or "mixes" within the lifespan of many of us. Many more within the past hundred years. The Rhodesian is a very good study as is the OEM. Look at pictures of the "Mastiff" of yesteryear and compare them to today.

Thanks for listening