Author Topic: HUNTING FOR AMERICAN MASTIFF BREEDER  (Read 59839 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: HUNTING FOR AMERICAN MASTIFF BREEDER
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2005, 01:59:35 am »
No, AM's do not come in all black. The black dog in the picture is not an AM but is a Neo Mix that was rescued by an AM owner.

What Picture?

The picture above looks like a big cat.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 02:00:41 am by greek4 »
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline rutylr

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2005, 02:08:50 am »
There again people can say the lines are clear of hip problems but there is not proof.If you x-ray why not send them in.Both the breeds that your dogs come from have hip problems.
I still think the breeders should not sugar coat and tell lies.Prove the lines are free of this and post it for the public to see.This is deseving to the general public who blindly believe what the breeder says.These are the people who get hurt.
Still looking for them on the OFA site.
Donna

Offline kpware

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2005, 03:54:14 am »
This is the picture I meant to attach.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2005, 04:36:11 am »
The one on the left looks like my Maia.
Thanks,

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2005, 07:34:26 pm »

call the breeder of your dog, go to the am club for info. check pedigrees for ofa of letters from vet if pre limbs were done. also,, have your dog ex rayed for H/D and E/D before even thinking of breeding.
our tigre had E/D in one elbow and was imediatly spade.
a mastiff also,

she was a fila :'(
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline CASMOM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • FoxFire Central Asian Shepherds
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2005, 10:03:30 pm »
I have to agree- many of these mixes claims health this or temp that but dont prove it - yet consistanly produce pets for sale.

I help with the 1st Molosser site on the net and the founder/expert happens to be a Old English Breeder from Norway.

Biggest Gripe is what makes a breed? a breed vs a mutt is the closing of the stud book - meaning if it is true that the AM is around for 20 yrs than they should not be doing F! first generation crosses between OM and ASD.

Since they are still MIXING 2 Purebred dogs from 2 different Breeds they are indeed Mongrels and we all know MOngrels should eb adopted and saved NOT bred.

In regards to OFA PH GDC OVC their is NO Proof that the AM  Mongrels are healthier than each counter part.....used to breed...

Temp - Temp can not be tracked if F1 generations are still being crossed.
Because you are taking 2 different Temps and mixing them some will carry the temps -characters of both breeds - some each breed - thus NO breed set temp yet.

It takes a Min of 3 generations to make a breed and heh they should be on the 10th by now.

Heh my own brother paid $500 for a Schnoodle froma  PET STORE  .
He wont do it again after I went ape s---. But he wont give up the love of his life named what?Schoodles half poodle half schnauzer..

So to the people that love these Mutts all power to ya. I miss my lab mix Snoopy with all my heart. - But would never condone buying a mutt vs rescueing one.

Sorry had no time for a intro yet will do it next but saw this topic first
and since I get emails all the time asking me to help them get thier Mutts on to my friends site it gets tiresome.

Jeannine D ps I dont spell perfectly
Pic if comes up is Smoopy adopted North Show Animal League 1992

Offline kpware

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2005, 02:06:02 am »
The "Stud" book is closed. There are no first generation crosses of OEM with ASD being produced and we are in the 9th generation. IF you are seeing advertised American Mastiffs that are first generation please let me know. THey are not Flying W AMerican Mastiffs and they are not recognized by the AMBC. My health claims are backed up by my warranty which is the same warranty that all of the recognized breeders use. My adopters seem to find this satisfactory and I have not had any complaints. It is these kind of inflammatory statements claiming that we are somehow trying to bilk an unsuspecting, ill informed public that has made me so wary about participating in these public forums. Instead of receiving some tolerence for trying to do things right uninformed people attack. I have not advocated my dogs here, I have not advertised the breed. I have not denigrated any other breed or breeder. I have tried to answer questions and offer information. I have yet to figure out why this topic stirs up such emotional response. Do they think AM breeders are out there calling attention to all of the faults and difficulties of other breeders. WE are not, every breed has faults, not every one is a potential adopter. I have owned about 14 different breeds in my lifetime, from minature dachsunds to AM's. I have loved every one of them and recognized the good and the bad about each. I make it a point to interview each potential adopting family extensively, Do each of you? We pick out the puppy that based on 8 to 10 weeks of observation in our living room (where they are born and raised) are best suited  in temperament for the adopter. Do your breeders? Or do they allow you to walk in and try to pick the best puppy for your family in 30 minutes or so. Remember this is a choice that will last for 10 to 15 years. Will your breeder take the dog back if after 5 years it's personality changes and becomes unsuitable for your family. Did your breeder require a spay/neuter agreement so as to prevent unscrupulous people to breed any old way they want? Who approved the breeder? A club with thousands of dogs and breeders or a council of dedicated breeders devoted to ensuring the best possible conditions for the puppies and the best possible genetics. THere are thousand of questions hat need to be asked before selling or buying a dog. Believe me if you don't ask me the right questions you won't get a dog from me. I live with these puppies, I feed them around the clock,, I medicate them, I sleep with them . If you are trying to buy one of my dogs because it's the cool thing, or because they look good you won't get one from me.

That's my rant for the day. Come visit me or one of the other breeders talk to us get informed first hand not through second hand info or message boards full of people with their own agendas. After you do that then criticise me or castigate the breed from your experience. But be prepared with facts, not suppositions or agendas or prejudice.

Offline CASMOM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • FoxFire Central Asian Shepherds
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2005, 07:28:03 am »
Im sorry I dont remember naming any breeder and there was no emotion in my post- so sorry if you took offence to it when I was discussing the topic not a person or a breeder or a kennel name.

Yes their are people still doing F1 crosses of this original mixture.
I would be happy to fwd all future inquiries to your email.
However the "breed" name is American Mastiff _Not Flying W Mastiff so they many not feel obligated to follow what ever ethics you set for yourself personally.

And if you have 9 generations of OFA Cleared- PH low scored , GDC cleared or OVC Cleared please excuse my post..
Or if you have heart clearances as well. i would be happy to print a general retraction for the entire breed ..

One of the reason that was said to cross these breeds is to get away from the health issues plaqueing many Molosser breeds.

1st Health issue is Bad Hips/Elbows/Shoulders
2nd Heart Issues.

I have a problem with creating a new breed based on something allegely wrong with one of the breeds used in the mixture and than does not provide proof to clarify the statements.

OFA Prelims have been ONLINe for over 2 years now.. so no need to check breeders for OFA they are online and viewable to all.

And in regards to emotion i think some people who work in rescue get emotional cause when a breed of a mixed nature arrives at the shelter they have less of a chance of adoption than a purebred dog.

This brings out the side of you that thinks of the dogs 1st and the
people behind them 2nd.

Again wish best of luck with your program and if you wish to point me in the direction of the clearances for this breed I would be very happy to see them.

Jeannine D

Offline rutylr

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2005, 11:29:28 am »
I'm also sorry you think you were being attacked.I did not name any breeder just what I found on the breeds web sites.
The web sites I was on stated the dogs are free on hip problems.yet no American Mastiffs show up on the OFA web site.
I just think before people make any claims of any breed they should be able to prove them.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2005, 12:26:44 am »
I'm also sorry you think you were being attacked.I did not name any breeder just what I found on the breeds web sites.
The web sites I was on stated the dogs are free on hip problems.yet no American Mastiffs show up on the OFA web site.
I just think before people make any claims of any breed they should be able to prove them.

I just looked at Elwood's pawprints and the pictures are the cutest I have ever seen.  You should definately try to get the one with all the puppies into the calendar.
Thanks,

Offline coreen

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2005, 03:45:28 pm »
Hi I purchased an apricot brindle puppy from a breeder in southern missouri. He is great. We preferred a male over female because we did not want to deal with a female in heat and then all the male dogs in the neighborhood trying to get to her. We named ours Droopy and nicknamed him Hoover. He has a very laid back temperment and does not jump up on people. He is very sensative to the feelings of myself and boyfriend. If one of us is not feeling well he will sit by us on the couch all night. We are in the process of puppy classes and is learning things VERY quickly. The breeder was reasonable in her prices and if you want to contact her I would be more than heppy to send you her email.

Offline dutch1204

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2005, 05:10:03 pm »
Why do these OEM vs AM discussions have to get so ugly.  It makes me mad.  I have a one year old American Mastiff female from Flying W Farms.  The people who get AMs are not interested in registering their dogs.  Who CARES if the AKC does not "recognze" my dog!  We were looking for a great companion and family pet.  Duchess, has fufilled that for us, and BTW she DOES NOT drool, just as promised.  I think either breed is just great for some of the same reasons and some different reasons.  Its a personal preferece.  Mark my word, you will NOT be dissapointed in an American Mastiff as long as you go to one of the Flying W Farm recognized breeders.