Author Topic: What other breeds live with our greys?  (Read 10836 times)

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
What other breeds live with our greys?
« on: July 06, 2005, 04:44:32 am »
I'm looking for a second dog. I'm curious with what other breeds do other greyhound owner currently have living with them. For example, I'm looking at an American Bulldog or an American Mastiff as a second dog. What do you have other than a greyhound? :)

Offline imogen

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: What other breeds live with our greys?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 05:53:11 pm »
I am getting another grey soon... but I'm pretty sure that greyhounds get along with most dogs. Maybe not white fluffies, but most breeds.

The lady that I am getting the new grey off has a laborador, another grey and a ridgeback cross. I guess if you're worried, it might be safer to get a different sex to the grey and a different aged dog, I hear that is easiest. Might pay to have your grey meet the new dog first too!

Hey, here'e an idea... rescue another grey! :D

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 05:07:27 am »
 :D I just have my two greyhounds both rescued. I have a friend who also has a rescue greyhound and just resuced a whippet. Whippet's are of course smaller but have a similar nature to a greyhound. I have not see little Sarah yet but will see her at the end of the month. I will try to get some pictures of Sarah with her greyhound sister Angie for you. I also have a friend who has a German Sheppard, 3 cats and a greyhound. I think as long as you don't get something that is white and fluffy you will be fine.

Toni
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 05:41:57 am »
i don't have a grey but my niece does and they come to visit and he is fine with my lab-he has also met an english pointer that i was dog sitting and was fine with her also.

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 05:03:52 am »
 ;D Hi we had a play date with two greyhounds on Saturday. One of the greyts Henry a big handsome fawn boy shares his home with two 12 month old doberman. The dobermans are brother and sister to each other. He also shares with a cat that we did not see because Jessica is not cat safe. Another friend has both an Irish Setter and her greyhound.

Just a few more dogs to consider. Here is a picture of Henry and Oz from Saturday.

Toni
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline imogen

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 07:40:35 pm »
Check this out... 4kg v 34kg... and good friends!

This is my friend's miniature pincer and my Gingko.

I think, provided the grey and new doggy meet to see if there are any hassles, greys get along with MOST breeds. Good luck in finding a good companion for your hound!

Offline GreytGirl

• Gnawer
  • Sleepy Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 09:02:11 pm »
The family grey, Madison, lived out the first three years of her life (with us and period since we got her as a puppy) with an elderly female cocker spaniel.  Cinda and Madison got along fine despite age, but because Madison was that much bigger than Cinda we did have a slight bullying problem for a few days until it was made clear that such behavior would not be tolerated.
It doesn't really depend on the size of the other dog (unless your grey is not small dog safe), just the personalities.  For example, some people just do not get along, for some reason their personalities clash and they can't see eye to eye.
A majot thing to do once you decide and get your new dog is to have them meet on neutral turf, ex. the street.

This is a little farther than you are now, but nice to have in the back of your head:
If you have a male, I would be wary of getting a larger dog for fear that it would want to be the dominant male of the group. (While your male would be used to being the boss.)
Female, be wary of getting a female that wants to be the head hauncho too, especially if your girl is dominant. 
If your grey isn't a dominant dog, don't worry about it.

There's my book, haha.  I love skirting around the main issue (kidding), but yeah, we had a small dog and she and Madison were fine with eachother.

Offline imogen

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 09:46:00 pm »
Most greys will get along with most dogs... I still think you should adopt another grey... I'm just about to adopt another big male into our family and we are all confident that it will be fine (the rescue organisation and all!)

Imogen

Offline Alanna

• Gnawer
  • Teddy the Afghan (mix?) pup
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 10:34:15 pm »
My canine family consisted of an alpha male greyhound (9 - he crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May), alpha female grey (also 9), male great dane/lab (6),male rott/newf (5) and female great pyr/border collie (3).  I've also had several fosters over the years, and as long as I don't introduce a dominant dog.  Because my female grey has a very high prey drive I do not take in small dogs...just in case.  My greyhounds are more accepting of other greyhounds - they warm up to them quicker than other dog breeds.
Alanna,
with Tookie(collie x)
Buck(Great Dane x)
Sam(Rottweiler x)
Delila(Great Pyrenees/Border Collie)
Jake (foster Bully Dog)
Teddy (Afghan pup)
and Greyhounds Snap and Panda, over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 11:06:50 pm »
my friend owns a Greyhound and a Pekingese.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 12:34:10 pm »
Well my boyfriend and I have to decided to wait a few months before getting a new dog. Lucy and I are moving in with him. I would like her to adjust to the new home first. In the last 6 weeks we have babysat my parents dogs, (Golden Retriever and a Shitz-tzu) Lucy had a temper with the female Shitz-tzu, but was fine with the male Golden. Also in the last week I took in an emergency foster Greyhound, a male, named Lite. I've noticed that she is SO summisive (sp) to him, I barely reconize her! So we move in three weeks. I'm hoping Lite will be adopted out by then, if not he will move with us too. Then DH will get an American Bulldog Puppy in a few months. Thanks all for your suggestions.
Renee, Lucy & Lite ;D
Here are a few pics of the Foster, Lite. He is Lucy's twin, I swear!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 12:36:19 pm by Wildlonewolf »