Author Topic: bruises  (Read 3592 times)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
bruises
« on: July 06, 2005, 09:49:38 am »
Does anybody dog has bruises on their elbows?Spotakiss I think has bruises on his elbows from flopping down on the hard floor.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: bruises
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:17:14 am »
This may be an odd question, but what do you mean by bruises? Harley (my lab) has spots on her elbows that the fur is wearing out I think from sleeping on the hardwood floor.  She has a soft matt in her crate now, I think the spots were coming from laying in her crate too.  And Dilbert (my pyr) is starting to get them too, I had to remove the matt from in his crate as he was eating it.

Are these spots/bruises bad???

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:22:48 am »
Well the spots on like red if you look through the fur.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 10:27:45 am »
hmmm I haven't seen that on harley but haven't check Dilbert lately, I would assume it's from flopping down on the floor. Not sure what else it would come from.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 03:31:51 pm »
Zoey has elbow spots from the hard floors too. She's had them pretty much her whole life, and they have gotten more obvious now that we live in a house with all hardwood floors. I was actually just at the vets and when I mentioned the were looking redder she said that it was normal and just because of the wood floors. The vet said that if it gets to be really really red and if it becomes open sores (this has never happened to Zoey), then you could put a little bacitracine on them, but other than that don't worry. Also, sometimes when her elbows are chapped I wil rub a little 'bag balm' on them and that helps.
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 08:03:56 am »
I think it may be a Saint thing because Bear always flops on the floor and never has a problem with elbows. Then again, other than a Saint I have never seen a dog with skinned elbows.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 04:31:29 pm »
My cousin has a yello lab and his elbows have hard calluses on his elbows.  I don't think it's breed specific.  Just larg dogs laying on hard floors.  It's a lot like callusses on your feet.  No worries.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 06:53:00 pm »
Seamus doesn't have any bruises, but I do!!! Does anyone else get beat up by their big pups?  Or am I the only one?  He just doesn't know his size, and my feet and legs are constantly bruised from him slamming into me!!! :)

BabsT

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 06:58:30 pm »
So when your dog lays down does it sound like it would hurt?  That is what Zero sounds like, I swear he is going to break something...We have hadwood but area rugs and bedding for him...he will always choose to be on the hardwood ( i think because it is cooler)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 07:08:48 pm »
Sullivan--

When we first brought Sasha home, I was covered with bruises.  She played too rough and didn't know her size as she got bigger.  It is significantly better now!  Whew!  :)

Hope yours gets better soon!
Jessica

Maybe we don't see the bruising on Newfs since they have darker skin?  I think the Saints have pink skin...