Author Topic: feeding time  (Read 2529 times)

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
feeding time
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:03:31 am »
hey guys, another Q? What about feeding... they were feeding Felony puppy chow and I switched her to Purina One puppy formula, basically because it is the best dry that the local wal-mart had to offer (starts with lamb and rice instead of beginning with corn and chicken by-product).
I was wondering what everyone feeds thier rotts...
I was taking a trip to petsmart today to see if I could find something better (but still affordable for me) and I know I have to switch her slowly if I do so.
I was also wondering what tripe and mixer was...
And the whole egg thing, with or without the shells (since that seems to be the argument amongst most)... I thought that it wasn't good to give any dog egg whites.
I also read that I shouldn't be giving her completely dry food, that it should be moistened. But she won't eat it moistened. I had someone else suggest that I mix it with cottage cheese and that didn't work either.

lins_saving_grace

Re: feeding time
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 11:07:37 am »
I feed ours Puppy Chow for Large Breed.  See if you can get her on that.  Lady and Grace have really sofy, shiney coats because of it.
I also add Vitamin C and yogart to their food at night.  Up to six months...500 ML of Vitamin C and 1 tablespoon yogart.  After 6 months old up the Vitamin C to 1000 ML and the yogart to 2 tablespoons.
The Vitamin C is for their joints and the yogart is for their digestion.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 01:32:31 pm »
Try to find food with only one protein source (ex. fish or turkey or chicken or liver or beef), avoiding lamb and rice.  The reason to avoid lamb and rice now is so that if later in life you need a mild food for a while you can move to that.  You will probably have to resort to getting food at the petstore.  I use Science Diet, it is costly, but has been very good for my guys.  They also get yogurt but only about once a week. 

Plus I give my guys left over mild foods such as plain hamburger or sausage, scrambled eggs, white or brown rice, corn chips with no flavoring, pretzels, Rocco likes orange peels.

Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Lorena

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 02:07:59 pm »
I think you have to try a couple of things firts and see what it's tastefull for him.I share the same opinion about yogurt. It's very healthy.  You can try any Nutro dry food from the Pet Supermarket. I have 2 rottweilers and both of them eat a mix of dry and wet food. I've tried chicken broth to wet a little bit the food and she loves it. Also Nutro has canned food. You can maybe try mixing both of them, a little bit from the can plus the dry food.
When she was a puppy I used to give her some cooked eggs mixed with food and you can try the gizzards. A tray can cost you between $1 and $2 at your grocery store. Boil them and cut them in little pieces and mix it also with the dry food. It's something you can do several times a week and it does not cost a fortune. I hope it helps..Sasha had the same problem at the beginning... ;)
~Lorena~