Author Topic: serious question about axle's health  (Read 4520 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
serious question about axle's health
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:14:49 pm »
i didn't notice it this morning, but axle refuses to go outside or get up or anything.  he got up to go potty at about 5am and was reluctant to do so.  i thought it was just b/c the time (he's not a morning "person").  now it's 1pm and i had to make him get up to go outside, even though it's been 8 hours.  when he went out, i watched him from the window and he is walking EXTREMELY stiff, and i can tell he's uncomfortable and feeling really bad.  he went just far enough off the porch to do his business and is now laying back down.  i expect him to be a little stiff in his hips b/c of his HD, but today it's also his shoulders.  can dogs get something like HD in their shoulders?  it's not his elbows, but higher up.  he hasn't done anything excruciating the past few days, that would make him sore.  also, any ideas on how to help him feel better would be great!  our vet told us we don't need to have him on HD medicine for pain, but this is really hard for us lately, esp with the cold weather.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: serious question about axle's health
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:24:38 pm »
thanks!  i thought i could give him aspirin, but my mom SWEARS you can't give them that, but to give them tylonel (sp), which is the complete opposite of what i've always done.  i couldn't remember what that one post was on dosages of medicine to give them either  :-\
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:28:39 pm »
Awww, poor Axle!  Cold weather makes me stiff too!  Is he eating/drinking ok?  Do you think he's just stiff or that he may be sick too?  Hopefully the asprin will help!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:11:02 pm »
thanks you two!  i think it's just that he's super stiff today.  he's eating well and drinking good too, but then the only time he's ever stopped eating was when he crashed when he got hook worms and whip worms at once, and he was physically devastated within one weekend.  he's happy just laying there though, when i walk past or say his name his tail wags.  i checked his nails and trimmed them as short as i can to try to make him more comfortable, but he didn't appreciate it, so i ended up using a nail file b/c he kept tugging away.  hubby is going to be upset but i'm going to give him a warm bath in a little bit to see if it will help loosen him up.  he's allowed on the furniture, but he doesn't get up there, so i guess it might be too soft and make him more sore??
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

marypyrs

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 03:33:11 pm »
AHHH! Poor baby! These things can be such a worry. And I swear we feel their pain.

Have you ever tried Yucca? I found it helped my Joey, a Saint/collie/wolf cross, when he had problems in later years. (Still keep it on hand). It also seems to help avoid stomach upsets. My Vet also told me to use Ascriptin (sp) rather than the regular buffered asprin or Vet prescribed pain meds. One twice a day. Then a day off. Then one up to twice a day. He was over 150lbs.

HUGS to Axel.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 03:34:21 pm »
i have not tried yucca.  i think i've heard of using it in horses, but never dogs.  where do you get it?  it's a powder to put in their food isn't it?
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 03:42:14 pm »
I get my Yucca from Solid Gold. It's 75% yucca with anise & peppermint. Smells Yummy. I mixed it in a bit of water and put it on Joey's food. (I've also used it for my horses).

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:22:48 pm »
i just looked it up, i'll definately have to try that!  if i can find the one that smells good, all the better!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 06:28:13 pm »
My mom used a heated bed for her dachshund when her joints were stiff, and it seemed to make her feel much better.

I hope Axle is feeling good soon. :-*

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 08:20:36 pm »
we did our own personalized "hydrotherapy" for about 30 minutes with the power head on the shower and he's feeling SO much better now, especially after his brushing "service" ha ha.  thanks for all the well wishes, i'm sure by tomorrow he'll be feeling tons better.

modified because i either got played SO good, which i don't think, or the aspirin and "hydrotherapy" kicked in, because when i got a piece of pepperoni out he started acting a fool. 

http://www.zippyvideos.com/5425945186565826/100_2198/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:44:28 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 09:10:15 pm »
THAT IS SO CUTE!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Wow, looks like he sure is feeling better!!!!! ;D

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:50:26 am »
OMG - Steff, that video is so cute!  Axle is acting like like a spry pup! It appears pepperoni is the wonder drug for him! How is the big guy doing today?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:58:01 am by EllieAndBlu »

Anakalia

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 11:55:13 am »
I'm so glad he's feeling better!  Great video, he seemed to be super happy and ready to play!  ;D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 12:23:14 pm »
i think i might have gotten played.  last night when hubby got home axle started the "OH OOH it hurts, it hurts" act and started limping again.  now, this morning, he's fine.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 12:47:18 pm »
Oh that Axle might be the smartest dog... EVER!  I think he is looking from some special one-on-one time with mom!