Author Topic: Allergies  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Beaux

• Ankle Biter
  • Beauxcephus J Dawg
    • View Profile
Allergies
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:36:23 am »
I saw a topic brought up about allergies. Beaux suffers from them. I do Benadryl (ok'd by his vet) and he has a special ear ointment also. The vet also said to but rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab to clean his ears and any extra that drips off the cotton ball down into his ear will cut through the wax. I am going to try the oatmeal bath for his hot spots and allergies but I have two questions for anyone that might know?:
1. Do I just buy plain Oatmeal shampoo? Is it in the pet or human area of the store?
2. In the past I gave Bo a low dose of steroids per his vet. His vet had occasionally given him a shot because Bo can chew a hot spot on his side in a matter of minutes. One time over night he did one the size of a medium saucer/plate. It was horrible. The steroid deterred him from chewing along with his plastic collar thingie. My question is did I hurt him with the occasional steroid use and is it bad? I am worried now because I saw in a previous Big Paw member's question she said she NEVER gives steroids....
Help?
Kimberly & Beaux

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Allergies
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:02:14 am »
they have oatmeal shampoo specially made for dogs.  my mom also gave the occasional steroid shot to her chihuahua and still does.  it hasn't caused any problems with him and he's had them about twice a year or so his entire life, he's 11 now.  that's just my opinion, but it hasn't done him any harm.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Beaux

• Ankle Biter
  • Beauxcephus J Dawg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:46:12 am »
thank you so much  ;D
Kim & Beaux

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 11:00:59 am »
Hi Kim.  Does Beaux have another spot? 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Beaux

• Ankle Biter
  • Beauxcephus J Dawg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 11:06:20 am »
His two spots healed thank goodness so pending no reoccurance we will see ya at the dog park sometime this weekend. :) I was reading the interesting blogs on Canidae. Interesting on the "no excercising an hour before & after feeding" because of water & the food mixing and causing bloat. Hmmm Didn't know that. :)
Kimberly

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:26:22 am »
we hold water for an hour before and an hour after meals, although i will give them a little drink if they are acting super thirsty.  you can look at our dogs and tell they HATE us when we do it ha ha. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:26:53 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Beaux

• Ankle Biter
  • Beauxcephus J Dawg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:03:32 pm »
How do they test for the yeast infection? No I never tested for that because I just went along with my vet. He raises Aussies and I know a few of the people that got their Aussie from my breeder and all the dogs chew, have weak stomachs &/or allergies. How would I find out about that and if it is how do I find out info on treating it? Benadryl work? Thanks for your insight. I rarely have a chance to get on Big Paws while at work so if you could email me when you have time on anything you know I would be sooooo greatful. :) Thanks
Kim & Beaux

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 03:50:58 pm »
Great article!