Author Topic: Barking Collar  (Read 5885 times)

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
Barking Collar
« on: January 25, 2007, 01:22:25 pm »
Well, my neighbors are beyond being patient with Dyson's barking.  He barks all night long.  Have anyone had any luck with the Safe Humane Barking Collars that emit High Frequency noise to stop barking for Pyr's?  I'd rather go that route than buying a shocking Bark collar, for I know he is only doing what his ancestor's passed to him.
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Barking Collar
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:25:46 pm »
what about one of the ones that spray citronella?  i've heard good things about those.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

angelsmama

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:30:30 pm »
i can see the spray, but i dont like shock collars or the king with makes the high pitched noise. dogs hearing is so sensitive thats gotta hurt their ears...

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:36:11 pm »
I would say their noses are very sensitive as well.  I don't know how much better it would be to spray citronella in their nose and eyes as opposed to a high pitched frequency.
I have used the shock collar in the past, with my Jack Russell.  He would bark at the presence of oxygen.  Living on base, it was a choice of stop the barking or get rid of the dog.  We chose the shock collar.  He only had to bark a couple of times to put action and reaction together.  He did know that once the collar was off that he could bark his brains out.  My husband even tried it on himself (as did several of his friends during a BBQ) ::) and so I know that the correction was not dire. 
I always love Dysons pic though, there is no way that sweet face is giving you any grief!  :D
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:49:35 pm »
I honestly don't think the Citronella collar would work.  His mane is so thick, you can't see the collar he is wearing now for it is 3 to 4 inches below his fur line.  Not too mention he is a Pyr, I don't think they sell Citronella by the gallons.  Plus when I tried to stop him from chewing the foam off my Central Air Unit pipe, I tried Cayenne pepper and he just licked it up like it was seasoning salt.  Has anyone here, tried the Citronella collar on a pyr?
St. Louis, MO

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:11:29 pm »
the site for the citronella collar says

The harmless citrus smell and quick action of the spray mist startles and confuses the pet's highly developed olfactory sense, causing him to stop barking.

so i think it would be more of a sense shock than the actual substance you spray.  just like a spray bottle with ice water would do.  be careful, if the collar has prongs i just saw where a guys dog got hung up and killed itself b/c of the prongs in it's throat, and also saw where an electric shock one got stuck on the shock setting and really hurt the dog.  also, maybe you could put it high enough up on his neck that it would sit on top of his fur.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:13:07 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:26:51 pm »
We are having the same problem w/ Binky (also a Pyr).Actually, I just had to get up and tell her to stop barking!  I posted about this a while ago and most people here were not fans of the shock collar.  I think I will try the citronella collar with water in it.  Binky is insanely sensitive to smaells and I think the citronella would be crueler than a shock for her!  Let me know what you end up doing-I am desperate for some ideas!  Good luck.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 02:56:57 pm »
My friends used a shock collar for their barking problem, Nate.  I guess it worked immediately, but after a while without the collar, Nate disassociates the two enough that the barking starts up again.  I would try to find something that you think you can keep on you dog regularly, if not full time. The citronella collar with water would be a good idea, and maybe "upgrade" to the citronella once in a while as a refresher.  Good luck.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:01:29 pm »
Unfortuantely (as I've learned from other Pyr people), barking is part of the package.  Bo is a very hyper-sensitive Pyr and she barks at a mouse fart.  We've worked with her on learning how to "settle" or to "leave it", and sometimes she just needs to know that I've seen whatever it is that she's barking at (this morning it was our cracked-out neighbors kids tormenting her from the street).  Anyway, I think that shock collars are useful if they're used with the right dog & with thorough traning.  Bo is pain/fear aggressive, so using a painful training tool would only serve to reinforce the behavior.  Citronella collars work well and are very humane, although the heavy mane issue presents a problem. I currently use a squirt bottle filled with water (although Bitter Apple Spray has worked well in the past)and I squirt her with it whenever I want her to stop.  Now all I have to do is hold up the bottle & she stops.  I've found that when she's barking a lot at something, she doesn't hear me calling her off, so I need to break that heightened state of arousal by distracting her with another stimulus.  One other technique (although more labor intensive) I learned from a Patricia McConnell seminar I went to recently.  When she is barking at/fixating on something, stand next to herwith a yummy treat and say "look!" and hold the treat up by your eyes.  When she stops & looks at you, treat her.  Keep doing this so that she associates "look!" with "I better stop what I'm doing and look at mom becuase I'm about to get something delicious!". 
Have patience & also learn to accept that there are some things that you cannot change, but that behavior can be shaped to a certain extent.
Jenn
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 03:41:28 pm »
I think I will try the citronella collar with water in it

I have a citronella collar (the remote controlled one - not the barking one) for my newf and the citonrella refill is kind of like a compressed air can and you have to push the nozzle of the refill down in to this tiny little hole (kind of like putting air in your car tire) so I don't think that you'd be able to substitue water for the citronella.

If she is sensitive to smells then I would think that it wouldn't take much to train her that when she barks it makes a yucky smell that she didn't like and she wouldn't be so barky.

The reason we got the collar for Lucy is that she would want to go outside and then turn around and bark to get let back in and not stop until we let her back in (20 minutes).  It was really effective now she only barks once or twice and then sits there when she wants to be let in.  I highly recommend it.

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 05:39:30 pm »
Well, I have decided to go with the high pitch sound barking collar.  Thanks for everyone's input.  I just figure sound stops instantly and smell lingers.  I will let everyone know how it goes.  I figure for a grand total of 14.25 on ebay, it can be tossed with no ouches to my wallet if it does not work. 
St. Louis, MO