Author Topic: The gas...it's killing me!  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
The gas...it's killing me!
« on: January 27, 2007, 06:05:04 pm »
Someone please help!!!!  McDougal has started to pass gas constantly and it is the most foul smelling substance in the world!  I seriously cannot take it any more.  My poor sister in law stopped by today and left rather quickly as the smell is so bad.
I don't know what is causing it.  It's been a couple days and his diet has not changed at all.  Is there anything I can give him (gas ex or something)?  I hope someone can help before my husband and I pass away from the noxious fumes!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: The gas...it's killing me!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:18:15 pm »
Have you ever had McDougals anal sacs expressed?
RIP former BPO

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 06:40:42 pm »
Have you ever had McDougals anal sacs expressed?

No-what does that entail?  Sounds awful but I am willing to try anything! 
Thanks EastJenn-will try the beano-great idea!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 06:47:10 pm »
We use something called Stink Stoppers (available at PetsMart). It's supposed to help with all kinds of body odor in dogs. It's liver flavored and chewable, so my dogs eat it up! We started using it when Max would escape the yard and run around the desert eating garbage and dead things--it does work, although it may take some time!

Also I found that giving water on an elevated platform helps with gas from gulping water.

Hope this helps!
Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 11:28:58 pm »

Whenever gas is present then you know that things are not working optimally in the digestive tract.  If it is really bad, then what he is consuming is not agreeing with him and his system is challenged to process it.

He may be lacking in soluble fiber, or the food is truly inflammatory for him.  I would switch his food and try fresh fiber to help clear him out.  This will get worse before it gets better however so be prepared - but after 2 days he should be cleaned out.  You can feed fresh canned pumpkin (not pie filling, but pure pumpkin) - 2-3 tablespoons, or if you really want to cleanse then grind up some cabbage into a fine pulp (blender or food processor).  You will need to feed for several days.

I would also add a digestive enzyme with his food - you can purchase one at your health food store.  I feed my dogs digestive enzymes to maximize bioavailabilit y of nutrients and they don't have gas - it is definitely in order to provide some digestive help when there is.

And last, add a probiotic to the food as well.  Primal Defense or any probiotic in the refrigerated section of your health food store.  Probiotics have numerous health benefits, boost the immune system, but primarily they assist digestion and balance the flora in the gut.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 07:36:43 pm »
Nala has a problem with her anal glands and has to be suppressed every 2 weeks and is also on Metamucil wafers. They help out a lot. She gets one wafer/day and actually loves them. When it is time for suppress the anal glands, she smells like rotten fish and it is unbearable, even to her.