Author Topic: Any advice please.  (Read 8507 times)

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Any advice please.
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:52:52 am »
Hi I am new to this forum and am pleased to of found a board that deals with the breed that I own.
Ollie is a 7 month old BMD and walks well on lead until he sees another dog and cannot contain himself and then pulls like mad,is this normal and will he outgrow it? I have tried headcollars and harnesses but he hates them so now use a comfort collar and training lead clipped around my waist and we are going to start training school next week.You are probably wondering why I have left it so long it was a case of finding the right one,hopefully now we have.

The other thing he does is still mouths us and sometimes adds pressure,he is a lot better than he use to be but again is this normal and will he outgrow it?
Other than those two hings he is gorgeous and he is learning but it seems to be taking its time.Sorry for the long post look forward to your replies.

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice please.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:01:28 pm »
Welcome to the group... I have a BMD who is 3.5 years old and had previously owned 2 other's. I also have 2 Leonbergers (soon to be 3 and 2). I understand what you are going through with the pulling on lead when meeting other dogs, but I think you will find the obedience class very helpful for this problem. When I'm brave enough to walk all 3 of mine at once, I find it is best for me to move off the path and make them sit when another dog approaches. This seems to calm them down and they get used to knowing that they don't get to greet every dog they see.
As for the being mouthy still, I have found the best thing to do is ignore them when they do this, as usually they are trying to get our attention. Once they stop and settle down, we pay attention to them again.
Enjoy your pup!
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:02:23 pm »
 :D Ollie's a BEAUTIFUL Boy!

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:07:26 pm »
Thankyou we do the ignoring bit and it is working I also make him sit nice to know I am not the only one and what I am doing is a tried and tested method.He just loves other dogs.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 04:38:47 pm »
have you tried the gentle lead / halti leads?  they work wonders, granted you bring them in to make sure it fits right!  they're a lifesaver for when i have to bring 3-4 of my dogs out, i can walk them with absolutely no problem no matter what's going on in front of them.  it stops pulling and gives you great control of their head, the idea is the same as for a halter on a horse!  just a thought!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:04:09 am »
have you tried the gentle lead / halti leads?  they work wonders, granted you bring them in to make sure it fits right!  they're a lifesaver for when i have to bring 3-4 of my dogs out, i can walk them with absolutely no problem no matter what's going on in front of them.  it stops pulling and gives you great control of their head, the idea is the same as for a halter on a horse!  just a thought!

Yes I have tried them use to use one for my other dog.Ollie hates them the dogmatic is actually better and he hates that too.Thanks for the thought.

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 09:05:15 am »
My dogs hate the Gentle Leader/Haltie as well. We have found that the Sense-ation harness works wonderfully and they don't mind it at all. Gentle leader makes a similar one. http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 04:22:04 pm »

I have Berners and they are a very sensitive breed who often do not accept the gentle leader.  I second the endorsement for the sensation/sensible harness.  Same function as the gentle leader, with front body control, but the clip is on the chest.  My excitable Berner girl wears the sensible harness and it is highly effective for controlling her excitement around dogs - a common Berner trait.

Finding a good positive trainer is the key who can help work with you on teaching emotional control.  The mouthing will come to improve as well - he is still a baby - with consistent reinforcement.  Remember that Berners are slow to mature and must learn good bite inhibition.  My girl took a lot longer than my boy did so they are all different.  Because my girl lacked emotional control (excitable, mouthy etc.) she had a strong need to use her mouth and exercise her energy through her mouth.  To remedy this, we always provide her with something to bite down on - quickly hand her a toy or the leash when entering etc.  It is key to provide him with the appropriate outlets while reinforcing what is inappropriate.  She would still love to grab my arm and at first, always bruised me - but through patient reinforcement in teaching the word "gentle" - she learned to stop.  So teaching a cue-word to release any pressure like "gentle" and re-directing his energy onto something appropriate - a toy is key.

To learn more about the breed and discuss with knowledgeable owners, join the Berner list at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Berner-l/

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 02:20:08 am »

I have Berners and they are a very sensitive breed who often do not accept the gentle leader.  I second the endorsement for the sensation/sensible harness.  Same function as the gentle leader, with front body control, but the clip is on the chest.  My excitable Berner girl wears the sensible harness and it is highly effective for controlling her excitement around dogs - a common Berner trait.

Finding a good positive trainer is the key who can help work with you on teaching emotional control.  The mouthing will come to improve as well - he is still a baby - with consistent reinforcement.  Remember that Berners are slow to mature and must learn good bite inhibition.  My girl took a lot longer than my boy did so they are all different.  Because my girl lacked emotional control (excitable, mouthy etc.) she had a strong need to use her mouth and exercise her energy through her mouth.  To remedy this, we always provide her with something to bite down on - quickly hand her a toy or the leash when entering etc.  It is key to provide him with the appropriate outlets while reinforcing what is inappropriate.  She would still love to grab my arm and at first, always bruised me - but through patient reinforcement in teaching the word "gentle" - she learned to stop.  So teaching a cue-word to release any pressure like "gentle" and re-directing his energy onto something appropriate - a toy is key.

To learn more about the breed and discuss with knowledgeable owners, join the Berner list at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Berner-l/

Thankyou for the link will take a look later.
We are having some success with the dogmatic now a kind of halti it doesn't ride up the eyes as the others do,we still have our stubborn days but ignoring him seems to be the key.
The mouthing is improving we do direct him onto something else sometimes he gets so excitable and jumps at you and grabs your arm or hand but a firm SIT!! seems to do the trick he then stops.Met someone the other day with a Berner and he was saying one of his previous dogs didn't stop mouthing till he was a year old.
Once we have overcome that he will be a great dog,he is only 8 months old and is doing really well and we have to remember he is still a baby hard when he weighs so much though.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 08:30:12 pm »

Met someone the other day with a Berner and he was saying one of his previous dogs didn't stop mouthing till he was a year old.
Once we have overcome that he will be a great dog,he is only 8 months old and is doing really well and we have to remember he is still a baby hard when he weighs so much though.

Yep - just be patient and consistent and he'll come along.  My current Berner is 2 1/2 and still mouths when truly excited - although is becomes less and less frequent.  I am still redirecting her and likely will be until she truly settles down - usually between 3-4 years of age.  So just keep that in mind - sounds like you are way ahead!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar