Author Topic: i need advice, family related.  (Read 3227 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
i need advice, family related.
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:00:19 pm »
ok, so we had kids early.  aiden when i was 18 (i turned 19 the next month) and tristan in when i was 20 (turned 21 two months later).  now, i REALLY want to work, but as things are brandon is always at work, not to mention money is a little tight, so anything i earned while working would go straight to babysitting, and that's pushing it considering i might even lose money.  i'd also love to go back to school, but then i'll need a babysitter and not have income.  we don't have any family near that could help, so that's out.  has anyone else been in this situation, and if you were how did you work things out??  also, any suggestions would be great.  on another note, does anyone know how going to college works if your a  military family, do you still have to pay the out of state student fees?  brandon wants me to join the military, but i don't want the kids to spend all their time with a babysitter, esp. considering that the nearest post is about an hour and a half away from here, so i'd leave super duper early in the morning, and get back super late at night.  i'd never get to see them  :-\ thanks everybody!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
Re: i need advice, family related.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:03:35 pm »
I can't really answer any of your questions, but you might consider getting your degree by taking courses over the Internet. 

I dunno what you're wanting to major in, but I know several people who have gotten well-paying degrees without ever stepping foot into a classroom.  Just a thought...

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 04:11:02 pm »
i have thought about that.  a LOT, but i hear a lot of companies see something like university of phoenix and are like "oh.. yeah, next!"  hubby says that the army doesn't even recognize a lot of online colleges right now.  do you know what school your friend went to?  that would be a key answer to everything, esp if it was nationally accredited!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 04:17:12 pm »
Tanner makes a very good point. Internet degrees are getting quite good and very credible. I wouldn't think twice about doing it. As a matter of fact, I've considered getting my masters by going that route. The University of Florida offers a masters in something I'm very interested in, and it is a rigorous program that would be respected by anyone...and its online. Think about it!

Also, many community colleges have child-care centers for their students. When I first started, Molly (my daughter) was a baby, and I took her to the child care center on campus. I think it was like, $1.00/hour or something? Very, very reasonable. Definitely check into it. It was great. I could leave her there during class, and pick her up and have lunch with her, visit her between classes.

I don't know how the military handles fees, but I do know that this is NOT THE TIME TO ENLIST! You have small children at home...scary! (This is my personal opinion...plea se don't be offended)

In the absence of an on-campus childcare center, could you take like, one class at a time at a time when Brandon is off?

Also, as far as income...when my MIL was in your position, she baby-sat in her home. She was very selective about the ages and number of children she took in, but she made a very nice income while she stayed at home with her kids. It worked out very well for her.

Just a few thoughts...I hope this helps!

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 04:18:42 pm »
i have thought about that.  a LOT, but i hear a lot of companies see something like university of phoenix and are like "oh.. yeah, next!"  hubby says that the army doesn't even recognize a lot of online colleges right now.  do you know what school your friend went to?  that would be a key answer to everything, esp if it was nationally accredited!

Many universities offer online courses!!! You just have to look at the individual college. What are you interested in majoring in?

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »
I finished my degree while pregnant and after, with a baby.  I think that if you were to apply for grants, you would get a ton. My husband at the time was the only one working, and since we were raising a child (this was before my second), they gave me grant money to cover all of tuition, and extra for cost of living.  You might even be eligible for other military type grants.  These days, accredited universities have online set-ups where you take one class on site and the rest are over the web, and other variations. You end up with a degree that comes from a university that is not just a "virtual" school.... if you know what I mean.

If you don't have day care or babysitters as options, but are still desperate to be in the land of the working, could you get a part-time job at night?  Maybe just a few hours to earn some extra money and get out of the house would be all you needed right now. My friends have done this for years.  They only see each other on the weekends, which seems crazy to me but it has worked well for them financially and relationship-wise. 

Best of luck. Being a Mom and wanting to be part of the work force is a tough thing to juggle.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 04:38:57 pm »
Hi,
I have you looked into seeing if the Army covers spouses to go to school? I know the Air Force will not only pay for me to go to school but will pay my daycare while I am attending school as well. I know the Marines payed for my friend to go to nursing school and paid her daycare as well. You might look into that. I have considered going to school to be a CPS caseworker but if I do it won't be until the kids are a little older. That and the fact that I might want to smack some of these parents around a little bit. ;) Just something for you to look into.

Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 04:46:12 pm »
unfortunately, working at night isn't an option, as i never know what time brandon will be getting home.  his work hours get him off anywhere between 7:30pm and midnight, occasionally later if they have to go to the alabama meps.  i definately want to look into grants, my question though is can i apply for them before i've enrolled in school?  i think the army helps a lot with school, but being an hour and a half away from base, i'm not sure how them paying for my babysitting will work.  i will most definately look into that also though!    you guys are great!  thanks for all the great advice!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:59 pm »
1 - Military Spouses can use their husband/wife's GI Bill for schooling.

2 - Check out your bases in the area. Many of them have an on-base "campus" for the local universities/colleges, and there is usually child-care available.

3 - As someone else said, there are many colleges (espeically community) that offer child-care during their day courses schedule.

Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 09:09:58 pm »
I have a friend that just went back to work part-time now that her son is 3yo.  She is working at a day care and she gets discounted day care for her son.  So when she goes to work she takes her son along.  I also have a couple of friends that are doing the on-line courses for vet tech certification.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience