Author Topic: Show of dominance or affection?  (Read 7011 times)

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
Show of dominance or affection?
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:41:50 am »
When my female dobe is playing with her toys by herself (once I've thrown in the towel), a lot of times she'll bring them over to me and balance them somewhere on my body, before she resumes her previous activity.

For instance, If I'm laying down, she'll deposit her toys on my back or stomach.  If I'm sitting, they'll go on my knee.  She has no desire to play with the toys - she just wants to balance them on top of me.  Perhaps she thinks I'm made of velcro.

Does anyone know if this kind of behavior lends itself towards dominance?  Or is it just her way of showing affection?  Or, is she just a weirdo like her daddy?  Thanks in advance for your reply.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Show of dominance or affection?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:50:12 am »
i would think it was a show of affection, caesar milan said it was a problem when they demand attention, like when they nudge you demanding you pet them.  if she just brings you toys, maybe she just wants a happy dad ;)  just my opinion though.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 11:35:49 am »
Aww, that's cute.  Binky does that too.  I am pretty sure it's not a dominance thing as they're leaving the toy for you, not trying to steal it back, etc.  When Binky does it I think she's just showing me what she found.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 11:39:54 am »
Personally, I always thought it was more of a security thing - like I'm her 'toy bank' or something.  But, I thought I'd get some second opinions anyway.  Thanks ladies.

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 11:45:01 am »
In my house it is a safe guard. Toys propped on Mom or Dad are les likely to get stolen by the other dogs. I think it is also a sign of trust.
Stella

I agree!  Mika does this w/ her bones whenever she's getting stalked by Shasta.  She brings her bones to us, gets a petting and then keeps an eye on where Shasta is and then attempts to relocate.
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:35:01 pm »
...Toys propped on Mom or Dad are less likely to get stolen by the other dogs...

Ya know, I never thought about it - but she only does it when the other dogs are around (which is 90% of the time).  It's not something she does when we're outside, probably because there's a wall seperating her from the other 2.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 02:32:42 pm »
If she was putting it on you and standing their I would say she was looking for attention, but just dropping it and leaving it I think she just wants you to protect it for her.
RIP former BPO