Author Topic: Loose Stools??  (Read 7383 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Loose Stools??
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:32:31 am »
Okay both Butt and Tub have had loose stools for a couple weeks now.First thought was I had gotten some bad food,but I switched that out last week and got all new food.(and made sure to check the dates this time) Today Tubs are very loose,I've had to shampoo the carpet 3 times :( So it is just the brand of dog food?? I use California Naturals.Tub gets dry for breakfast and lunch and dry/wet for supper.Butt only eats once a day and gets dry/wet.(He will not eat dry alone)I'm getting ready to head to town for my weekly outting,should I grab some different dog food?? The place I buy my bird food carries Chicken Soup and Blue Diamond.I have all the name brand chain stores around too where I can grab just about any kind.Or should I stop at the market and stock up on pumpkin and offer with the dry/wet mix at every meal?? Ask me anything about birds and I can give you an answer,but with the dogs I don't know anything!!! I should probably change me name to pain in the butt instead of Butt's Mom ;)Thanks again.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Loose Stools??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:38:44 am »
I agree with Stella. Try the pumkin first since Butt's always done well on the current food. 

No worries about all the questions! I can relate too, especially when I said out a really long one.  Questions are good here... they keep the posts alive and entertaining!  Plus, you never know when your question or post is gonna help someone else.  Good luck with the yucky BMs. :P

On an interesting note, I added a probiotic supplement to Bellas diet, and her stools really look tons better.  I don't think I give her even the recommended dose, but it sure seemed to make a difference.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 12:53:03 pm »
hahaha Pain in the Butts mom  ;)

Just kidding, I ask TONS of questions as Libby is my first giant. And I just wanted to 'check' to make sure...
I would try the pumpkin when Libby had loose stool acouple weeks ago I gave it a try for the first time others had told me about it but I had yet to try it. ~ anyways ~ it helped her stool by the next am, and I continue to add it to her meals 2 cubes(frozen in an ice tray~ so it'll last)thawed in with her food and Hoover gets 1. Is everything else normal for the boys other than their stool? Energy level and everything? If it doesn't help (give it acouple days, as long as everything else is fine) I would take a small sample of each to the vets and have it tested. Good luck I know loose stool sucks big time!!!
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 01:20:59 pm »
I agree with Stella. Try the pumkin first since Butt's always done well on the current food. 

No worries about all the questions! I can relate too, especially when I said out a really long one.  Questions are good here... they keep the posts alive and entertaining!  Plus, you never know when your question or post is gonna help someone else.  Good luck with the yucky BMs. :P

On an interesting note, I added a probiotic supplement to Bellas diet, and her stools really look tons better.  I don't think I give her even the recommended dose, but it sure seemed to make a difference.
What kind of probiotic do you use and how much do you give?? I use probiotics for the birds,never thought of uisng them for the Saints.

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 01:27:17 pm »
hahaha Pain in the Butts mom  ;)

Just kidding, I ask TONS of questions as Libby is my first giant. And I just wanted to 'check' to make sure...
I would try the pumpkin when Libby had loose stool acouple weeks ago I gave it a try for the first time others had told me about it but I had yet to try it. ~ anyways ~ it helped her stool by the next am, and I continue to add it to her meals 2 cubes(frozen in an ice tray~ so it'll last)thawed in with her food and Hoover gets 1. Is everything else normal for the boys other than their stool? Energy level and everything? If it doesn't help (give it acouple days, as long as everything else is fine) I would take a small sample of each to the vets and have it tested. Good luck I know loose stool sucks big time!!!
I bought a bunch of cans of pumpkin when I went to town,so we'll give that a try.I forgot ice cube trays though,I suppose I could order them online and have them delivered ;D Yes everything else is normal as far as the boys behaviors,Saints they ain't ;) Tub was in for shots on Thursday and I took a stool sample with me and that was fine.I explained the situation at the time to the Vet and he thought it could well have been bad food then.Maybe I'm not giving it enough time to clear up.One thing I can say is I'm so happy I got my new carpet cleaner last night :D Thanks bunchs!!!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 01:47:05 pm »
Well, I bought it on a whim becuase it happened to be on sale. I don't know what the brand is, but it had a very common probiotic in it... one that I was familiar with.  I would not be a good person to recommend you a probiotic supplement, as I was only "testing" this time around. Based on the results I've seen though I may do some research and find one that I like.  Currently I give her only one tab a day, and the bottle recommends 1 per 20 lbs of weight... so basically I'm only giving her about 25-30% of what the bottle recommends. 

Good luck with the Pumkin!  Hope it works... I bet your carpet hopes it works too. ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 02:28:46 pm »
I wouldn't switch foods just yet - a rushed food switch will just make their tummies worse, plus california natural is actually one of the easiest foods on the digestive system because it doesnt have too many ingredients.

I would start with the pumpkin for now, or white rice (zoey loves the white rice - because it's hot she thinks its a treat). They also might have just gotten into something they shouldn't have eaten, so it might go away easily.

I do have one question though - do they have loose stools all the time or just certain times of the day.

And as a side note, the "resolve spot magic" is a great cleaner the get rid of stains from booty blowouts
RIP former BPO

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 03:25:18 pm »
Hi,

I feed Winslow Canidae dry but add oat meal (Microwave it for 50 seconds and add some extra water) for breakfast, then he gets dry for dinner and I mix in some fish ( canned Mackeral salmon or sardines). Grated cheese at both feedings my picky boy. This seems to keep everything firm and offer enough moisture to the dry food.

Pumpkin always works if he gets a little sour stomach for us.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 04:15:21 pm »
Well, I bought it on a whim becuase it happened to be on sale. I don't know what the brand is, but it had a very common probiotic in it... one that I was familiar with.  I would not be a good person to recommend you a probiotic supplement, as I was only "testing" this time around. Based on the results I've seen though I may do some research and find one that I like.  Currently I give her only one tab a day, and the bottle recommends 1 per 20 lbs of weight... so basically I'm only giving her about 25-30% of what the bottle recommends. 

Good luck with the Pumkin!  Hope it works... I bet your carpet hopes it works too. ;)
Thank you.I use the powder form for my birds,I think the next time I mix up a batch for the birds I will give the boys some too.I'm going to switch the boys to the birds RO water too.I guess I need to start treating them like really big birds :)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 04:24:55 pm »
I wouldn't switch foods just yet - a rushed food switch will just make their tummies worse, plus california natural is actually one of the easiest foods on the digestive system because it doesnt have too many ingredients.

I would start with the pumpkin for now, or white rice (zoey loves the white rice - because it's hot she thinks its a treat). They also might have just gotten into something they shouldn't have eaten, so it might go away easily.

I do have one question though - do they have loose stools all the time or just certain times of the day.

And as a side note, the "resolve spot magic" is a great cleaner the get rid of stains from booty blowouts

I don't think they could have gotten something they weren't suppose to,having birds I am very anal about what is in my house.There isn't anything outside they could get into either and they are never left out unsupervised on top of that.

As far how often,normally it is once in the afternoon and once in the evening.Today with Tub's they have been very loose and about every hr :( I did notice the last time I let Butt out his were firming up,now if I could get Tub's to do the same I would be grinning.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 04:30:28 pm »
Just out of curiousity, what kinds of birds do you have? I used to have a Sun Conure... LOUDEST bird on Earth! LOL  I'm sure his relative Macaw could have outdone him, but man the screaming was insane. He (ironically he is a she when she started laying eggs this year for my Mother in Law) was VERY upset at me for having a baby, and decided that my son was the devil and so was I for deserting him- I mean her.  Anyway, she hates men so the next best thing for her was my ex-MIL.  She's been soooooo happy there.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 04:30:49 pm »
Hi,

I feed Winslow Canidae dry but add oat meal (Microwave it for 50 seconds and add some extra water) for breakfast, then he gets dry for dinner and I mix in some fish ( canned Mackeral salmon or sardines). Grated cheese at both feedings my picky boy. This seems to keep everything firm and offer enough moisture to the dry food.

Pumpkin always works if he gets a little sour stomach for us.

I'll have to try the oatmeal,even I like oatmeal once in a while.I've tried Sardines a couple times and they both walked away from me like I was crazy.On the nights Butt isn't really into eatting he gets grated cheese on his food to con him into eatting.

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 04:40:20 pm »
Hey there! I haven't read everyones replies but here are some ideas.

How much are you feeding them? Are you feed what it says on the package and factoring in that you are adding wet food. Sometimes too much of a healthy food can cause loose stools. Second I would totally recommend switching to feeding at least 2 times a day. Spreading out his feedings will help and it's safer! California Natural is a really good food and it's supposed to be bland, therefor good for dogs with finicky tummies. Because of that, that might be why you are needing to add wet food to get him to eat (I add wet even though i don't need to cause I think it's good for them!). I am on board with everyone with the whole adding oatmeal or rice or pumpkin. We do pumpkin on a somewhat regular basis just cause they like it and it keeps them firm! Best of luck, you are doing a FANTASTIC job!

Julie

At Tub's 2 dry feedings he eats about 1/2 - 3/4 cup.In the evening I mix 3 cups dry to one cup wet.Butts gets 3/4 of that,Tub gets the rest.

I started adding the wet to Butt's shortly after he first came here,he just wouldn't eat the dry.Little did I know then it was because I was feeding him cheap junk food.I swicthed him to the CN's this summer when he was having icky poops and just not wanting to eat at all.The Vet thought it was IBS or allergies and the first step was to switch his food.He was doing good until a couple weeks ago and I do think it was bad food that started it.

As far as switching Butt to feeding twice a day,not a chance.Heck on some days to get him to eat once I have to hand feed him ;)

Next time I go to town I will grab some oatmeal and rice to have around.And more pumpkin.Anythi ng else??Thanks.

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 04:46:00 pm »
Just out of curiousity, what kinds of birds do you have? I used to have a Sun Conure... LOUDEST bird on Earth! LOL  I'm sure his relative Macaw could have outdone him, but man the screaming was insane. He (ironically he is a she when she started laying eggs this year for my Mother in Law) was VERY upset at me for having a baby, and decided that my son was the devil and so was I for deserting him- I mean her.  Anyway, she hates men so the next best thing for her was my ex-MIL.  She's been soooooo happy there.

Oh I have to agree about the suns being the loudest bird on earth and no the Macaws aren't louder!!!If I tell you how many birds I have you will really think I'm crazy :D Here goes: I have 3 Blue and Gold Macaws,8 Green Wing Macaws,3 Scarlet Macaws,2 Red Front Macaws,1 Harlequin Macaw,2 Amazons,2 Caiques and 1 Quaker. If you are interested they have a website where you can meet them all: http://toolady.com/www/home/sarge/