Author Topic: Getting ready for hurricane Dennis!  (Read 9392 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Getting ready for hurricane Dennis!
« on: July 07, 2005, 05:48:35 am »
Looks like it may be time for us to get ready for hurricane Dennis.  We had to restake 8 trees yesterday form TS Cindy.  So here we go again.  Sugar Bear was only 4 months last year during Ivan, he was great he just was asleep most of the storm in my arms.  We will start boarding up as soon as we have a little better idea where it is going.  Today I will make sure we have all of our hurricane supplies. Last year we were without power for over two weeks so making sure you have the things you need is a must.  At the time we are in the projected path, the Fl/Al line.  We are in the Gulf Shores Alabama area.

Lisa, Dixie, & Sugar Bear
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Icerotti

Re: Getting ready for hurricane Dennis!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 06:06:14 am »
Keep safe-sending prayers to you all :)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 08:06:48 am »
We wish you and your entire family our prayers. I have never been in a hurricane but seeing the aftermath pictures really makes me hope with all of my heart that you sustain no major damage. Let us know how things go.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 08:20:25 am »
Thank you guys so much.  I will keep you posted.  Is anyone else in the projected area?

Lisa

ilovemyaussies

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 08:26:50 am »
I hate hurricanes.   >:(    Keep safe and let us know you are alive and well when its over (and when the power is back on, etc). 

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 10:57:33 am »
I would still rather have earthquakes.  Good Luck
Peggy

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 11:06:21 am »
You guys take care of yourselves!!!!!!!!   Battan down and stay safe!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 01:51:08 pm »
Hey, DixieSB - we are at the far west of the projected area - at least for now. I am in Houma, LA - my sister is in New Orleans. She still doesn't have power back on from Cindy and has already booked her hotel room in Jackson, MS although I'm still not sure why she's going TOWARDS the storm instead of coming this way...

Anyway, I've been glued to the weather channel since Cindy came our way. I know what you're going through.

If you want to come west, my door is open - small house, but big fenced yard, covered porch, lots of dogs and cats to play with - and my husband has a culinary arts degree!!! Hee Hee!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 05:21:51 pm »
Sounds like he makes a gooooooood gumbo, which I could eat 7 days a week.  Thanks for the offer.  We will plan to stay unless it is a cat 4/5 then we are out of here.  I guess it is a wait and see game for now. We will start putting up board in the morining. The store are already out of some of the hurricane supplies. I have a good stock so we should be ok. Good luck to anyone in the area.

Lisa

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 10:20:29 pm »
He's not too practiced on the gumbo. We're from the midwest originally. He's 100% German so he makes the best wurst!! Seriously, though - he makes the most spectacular New York style cheesecakes you've ever tasted!!

We're still not too worried about Denny. Looks like he's starting to move more eastward. Of course, anything can change...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.           
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 10:43:10 pm »
Good Luck and be safe, I will be thinking of you and your family. Severe weather of any kind really scares me, it is sooo little you can do, and it makes you realize how powerful the weather is. They say that we up here in Charlotte NC will have bad rain and wind, but I think the only hurricane who was still a hurricane when it got here was Hugo several years ago. They mostly die off when they go ashore, but we usually get kinda bad stormy weather but thats it.

This eve we saw the weirdest thing. Chris said, whats going on outside. And there was this flashing  light, we thought there were police on the next road or something, went out to see where it came from, and realized that it was from "up there" it must have been some kind or electrical storm over the clouds, you could see these 3 to 4 different super light and kinda moving lights over and over, didnt at all look like regular flashes when it thunders, we couldnt hear anything, but for about 2 hours it moved around a bit and when it lit up you could see through the clouds, well its kinda hard to explain, but I have never seen anything like it.

It looked so crazy, so at first we both said, gosh has there been a bombing or is there a giant fire somewhere, you know after what happened in London this morning I guess the imaginagion was working overtime lol....

Anyway, please be safe, and we will be thinking of you and dont forget to use the generator for the comp. so you can chat with us  ;)

huggs

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 02:19:52 am »
Weird, Marit, sounds like that new Tom Cruise movie, exactly what you described but there were aliens in those clouds. Oh yeh, War of the Worlds.  Hope that is not coming to Charlotte but we have a little wait before it hits us on the west coast.  :o

Peggy
Peggy

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 05:24:42 am »
Don't worry, Marit - I think it was just the aliens stopping by to check on things!! :o

Seriously, though - sounds like an electrical storm to me. Where do you live? We'd get those all the time when I lived in the midwest.

Jeanne                 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 06:29:07 am »
It is not looking good now that it is a cat 4. We will be working on making sure we are ready today and Saturday.  I plan to move the fur-babies from there room into our masterbath on Sunday night.  Their room is the sunroom and they will hate having the windows covered with board. Sugar Bear was fine last year is just spent the night sleeping in my lap, which made me feel better. 

Lisa

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 07:14:24 am »
Yup. I see Dennis turned more toward the west. Where we were barely in the "cone of destruction" before, we are now clearly a possibility for a hit. We'll be boarding up the windows tomorrow afternoon, too and bringing everyone in Sunday night. It's going to be a crowded house with 6 dogs and 6 cats, but at least we'll be cozy and have lots of company!!!