Author Topic: Pink eye?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Pink eye?
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:47:46 pm »
 I just noticed that Dasher's eyes (the whites of his eyes) are getting pretty pink. what does that mean? is that a sign of him being sick? ive never seen it any of my other dogs. hes acting fine. doesnt act sick or anything. and there isnt any drainage or anything coming out of his eyes. do i need to take him to the vet to get it checked out? any ideas?
 thanks, Leah

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Pink eye?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:39:21 pm »
Kind of weird but all three of mine have the same thing happen when they are tired or really excited.  I notice more when they have been playing really hard or it's late at night and they are ready for bed.  If you are concerned then I would take him to the vet especially if you haven't seen if before.  I just ignore it with mine but then it's normal for my guys.  Sorry not much help.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 09:55:48 am »
 thanks for the reply. actually ive had a look at his eyes this morning and it is cleared up. like you said it is with your dogs, maybe he was just really sleepy. anyway, i wont worry about it for now,
 Leah

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 09:43:18 pm »

Red eyes in dogs mean the same thing as it does for us, except for being over-tired...this isn't something dogs express with two eyelids....

But it usually means first and foremost, irritation - just like in us and is often a sign of allergies..... there may not be other outward symptoms but I have seen a lot of dogs with red eyes rub them - this would support allergy irritation.

They get red too when I let my dogs stick their head out the car window.....the y don't bother them, and are gone within hours, but nonetheless this is still irritation.

If it cleared up, thats great news.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar