Author Topic: *UPDATE... Really Good* Our New Foster  (Read 14280 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE... not good* Our New Foster
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 01:49:57 pm »
I called our vet and we are going to get some blood work done on him, and see if we can get him on some medication. He could have a thyroid problem. She also suggested rescue remedy. And she gave me a name of a behaviorist. So we will go from there.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 01:52:26 pm »
good luck!  keep us updated!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 01:55:01 pm »
Thanks, I never even thought of the medication route, I feel a little better now. And after work I am going to go buy the rescue remedy.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 02:26:03 pm »
Oh Nina, I am so sorry you are going through this! It is not only stressful but also so heartbreaking. I too admire you for exploring all avenues! You are not a failure, you are such a compassionate and caring person. Sometimes the harwires of a pup are crossed, to no fault of theirs our ours.
Sending lots of hugs your way!  Hang in there.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 07:56:33 pm »
Nina,

You are SO definately not a failure you are doing everything possible to get this boy ready for a new home.  Please be careful though it sound like he has some issues that may pop up at any time.

Tell Your Harley that my Harley says Hang in there!!

Hoping the medication works out for you!!

Randy

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 08:33:22 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for the support. We bought 2 bottles of the rescue remedy and a muzzle.We gave some of the remedy to Harley and it worked really well. And we gave some to Remi before feeding time. So far so good. And he has a vet appointment on Wednesday for blood work. Either way we are going to request meds for him.

So far so good.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 08:36:56 pm »
i think that it is an excellent idea to consult a behaviorist... .alot of times they have already come across the same problem and know of medications or training to reverse the behavior.  i hope everything works out!  keep your chin up  ;)
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 12:02:51 am »
Nina, however this turns out, just remember you have done far more than most people would for this poor fellow.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 09:32:48 am »
Hi Nina, I haven't had a computer for a while, so I missed this post. I am sooooo sorry about what you're going through.  I hope that the vet visit/meds can help, and I am sure that at the very least a behaviorist can shed some light on whether or not this dog can be saved.  I wish you the best, and praise you for your patience, tolerance, and willingness to go the extra mile.

Angeleen
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 12:12:57 pm »

His vet appointment is on Wednesday. So far he is responding well on the rescue remedy. And we got a muzzle for him, better safe than sorry. This mornings feeding went well. Tim feeds him little kibbles at a time and he is laying down the whole time, combined with the remedy well fingers crossed. I'm hoping that means he will respond well to meds.
Then we can work on more training and finding him a good home. We are going to place in a no children, or other pets and experienced dog owner home. And where he responds to males better, were thinking a Male only owner.

He really is a sweet boy, he deserves the best chance that we can give him. He was stuck to me like glue on the couch this morning.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »
We have someone coming to meet Remi tonight. He is a single male lives in a house with a large back yard. And he has experiance with dominance issues and food aggression. He a a female rotti that displayed the same issues.

Oh we have been feeding him in a seperate room with the door closed, and he whines when he is done. That has been working beautifully, combined with the rescue remedy.

Edit- If this person does work out, I am going to miss him. But I know that will do better in a male only home.

Nina 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 02:43:56 pm by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: *UPDATE... better* Our New Foster
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 02:43:48 pm »
i'm so glad that he is starting to act better!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 02:48:19 pm »
Glad to hear he is relaxing ~ hope everything works out with this possible home, keep us posted
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Anakalia

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 02:51:13 pm »
I'm so glad to hear things are going a bit better. I really hope everything goes well tonight!  Let us know what happens!  :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 12:13:05 pm »

Well the guy that was suppose to call us never did :-\ But maybe that is a sign that he was not the right home for Remi. We are going to foster him until we find the right home for him, we don't mind doing that. He has his vet appointment for blood tests tomorrow so hopefully that will shed some light. Feeding him in his own room alone has been working amazing. Tim lets him out of the room and he is fine, he is so happy to see and be with humans. I wish we had done that from the beginning!  :-[ Well lessons learned huh? The only thing is the longer we have him the more attached we get to him.  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)