Author Topic: New Here  (Read 3437 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
New Here
« on: July 07, 2005, 01:01:32 pm »
Hi All, I have been enjoying reading your posts and looking at the pics.  Let me introduce myself.  My name is Timmie.  Ilive in Las Vegas, NV.  I currently have 2 Poms and m looking to add a larger breed dog to the family.  My 15 yr old daughter and myself are interested in Danes.  We have both loved the breed for sometime.  So we are on our search for our 1st Dane.  I have filled out a lot of apps for rescues.  Actually, my daughter has her eye on Cassie a the deaf dane rescue in Oregon.  But now I think maybe we should just get a Puppy.  My Poms are Gunner (8 yr old neutered male), and Irie (5 yr old spayed female).  Irie is definately the the head of the household.  I figured having a puppy might be better just so the dane can grow up knowing my 2 Poms.  Worries me to have an older rescue dog with my little dogs.  Because my dogs can not be nice at times.  I have recently hired a trainer to work with the little dogs and teach a few manners before the other dog arrives and then we will have all of them in training.  So I would appreciate any thoughts and comments.
Thanks
Timmie

lins_saving_grace

Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 01:04:04 pm »
Hello!! Welcome to the group! 
Good luck in your puppy search.  Hope you find the breed that fits you.  Let us know what you find.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 05:29:58 pm »
Welcome to BPO! What a great dog you will be adding to your family. I like the idea of the puppy too because I think it will be much less traumatic for the Poms than if they started out with a huge older brother. Good luck in finding your baby!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 02:39:41 am »
Thank you both for the welcome.  we are excited about adding a dane.  And that is what I was thinking with the puppy
Timmie

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 02:51:57 am »
Hi Timmie and welcome, I love danes, used to have them, now I have mastiffs and a husky and a golden mix the two latter rescues. Danes in general are pretty good with smaller dogs, but as with all rescues, you never really know the background and what they have had for start in life. I agree with Jaba, that a puppy would probably be way easier to introduce to your family. And a very good thinking that you are trying to teach the little guys some good behavior. Unfortunately a puppy will look up to an older dog and take after, and for some odd reason it always seems like the bad behavior are way funner to copy. So to not have a dane pup picking up all the not so good stuff your small guys do, I love the fact that you have them trained now. Good Luck and please tell us when you decide what to do and then you have to post a million pics.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 03:48:07 am »
Well we are working on the little guys.  They are very smart with large "tudes" in those little hairy bodies.  But we are working on it.  It is just so easy to let little dogs misbehave.  My daughter and I are very excited....  we can't wait!!  And don't worry i will post a million pics.
Timmie

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 12:34:40 pm »
you are right there, it is easy to let the small dogs get away with stuff "it is almost cute" until it gets to be a real pain in the neck. My ex mil, had a West Highland White Terrier, she was too cute, but sooooo cute that they never told her how to behave, it ended up with her running the house, every time an animal came on tv she started to bark and attack the tv, so ex mil, started to watch those kind or programs with headphones so she couldnt hear, but that only lasted for a little while, then she had to turn the tv off. So Linda the westie had them totally wrapped around her paws. But it was going so far, so it was not cute anymore, she was the Alpha in that family and she knew it too.

Good Luck with the little guys and I am sooooo looking forward to pics of new dog here

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog