Author Topic: Please explain docked tails to me  (Read 19102 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Please explain docked tails to me
« on: July 08, 2005, 12:35:19 pm »
Okay so I know it mught seem like a silly question, but I am wondering what the purpose is for docking a dog's tail. I am sure once upon a time there was a logical reason for doing it, though I don't know what that would be and if someone could tell me I would be very appreciative. Now however, in the modern times, I am wondering why they still do it?  Is there a purpose other than just looking more physically attractive? Thanks in advance for your help dog moms and dads.

P.S.
Bear wanted to let you know he is very happy to never having to undergo such pain with docking his tail. He loves his fluffy black tail...especia lly when he can knock something off of the table.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

Re: Please explain docked tails to me
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 12:37:56 pm »
I was at the Vet once when a litter of Rotts came in (like 12 of them) and he was docking their tails.  They just clip and go...no drugs nothing.  It sounds groosum I know.
I love stubby tails.  But you're right...there doesn't seem to be a purpose.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 12:47:40 pm »
Everytime Rocco swipes a table or shelf.  Or gets me good with his wet tail, I threaten to get it docked.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 12:50:21 pm »
Lady has a long stubby and I can pull her by that sometimes.  It makes a great handle.  And it moves so fast.

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 12:51:29 pm »
yep lins......i experienced the same thing.  i was in the waiting room, and heard the bloody screams from h*ll (not used as a curse here by the way)....and when i asked what was going on she said they were docking the tails!  i was so disgusted!  it made me hurt to hear the little things!

thats the same as them removing the dew claw right?  no pain meds, no nothing....jus t suck it up little 2 day old puppies! 

poor babies!  poor poor babies!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 12:57:45 pm »
The good thing is that the puppies don't remember a thing.  But yeah...it's awful to hear it. 
I like that Grace's dew claws are out.  Lady still has hers. 

nickerbokker

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 12:59:48 pm »
same here.....cody's are gone....and ang has them.  they are like a mutant toe to me....im not a fan.  plus they ALWAYS scratch me and it HURTS!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 01:00:35 pm »
Rocco only had one dew claw which got taken off when he was nuetered at 7 weeks. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 01:01:15 pm »
The ears are done today for one and solely one purpose cosmetic. The tails well I guess for some breeds I could see a reason, but say for a dane who not too seldom get what is called "happy tail" when they slam it into everything and get it bloody and sometimes end up having to amputate a bit of it anyway (one of my females years ago had to have about 2 inches amputated after long and hard efforts to make it heal) they are NOT docked, other short haired breeds I can see the same situation where they would get happy tails.

But like I said in another post in almost all countries in Europe it is illegal today to both crop and dock, because it is concidered, unnecessary pain and done for cometics only. So if you go to Sweden for example you will see all the breeds like dobies, rotts, danes, schnauzers and god knows what with long ears and tails

And all my dogs agree with Bear, they are also very very happy they have their tails and ears lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 01:03:25 pm »
A lot of the German Rott breeders are going back to not cropping tails now too.  It's a nastagic thing I guess.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 01:06:31 pm »
I know this one!...I know this one!...lol...Tail docking & ear cropping are (from what I have heard & read) for health reasons...Some breeds fo dogs have very long thin tails that split & bleed when they whack them on something or so the story goes but I have seen posts at sites that people said they came home & their was blood to the ceiling because their dog had split it's tail open & then wagged it all over..Ear cropping supposedly keeps the ears free of infection & bacteria though Samson has floppy ears & I just clean them often...It is also done obviously for appearance sake...(though I love the natural Danes & Boxers that I have seen)....As far as doing these procedures without the benefit of anestesia, it is said that a puppies central nervous system isn't developed enough at 2 days to feel the tail docking & ear cropping...Sam e theory as circumsizing male infants without anestesia shortly after birth...I have never heard a puppy being cropped or docked but I did hear my son crying when he was circumsized so it makes me wonder.

nickerbokker

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 01:06:35 pm »
a guy i knew,  ;), had some dobies....both of them had a lame ear, and i LOVED THEM. 

i think all dobies should have floppy ears, it makes them SOOOOO cute! 

i should have cropped angos ears, it would have fit his personality.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 01:19:16 pm »
Jack looks good with floppy ears.

And Angus is a babydoll as is.  :)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 01:20:31 pm »
I wonder how Samson would look cropped?...LOL!...TOTALLY KIDDING but picture it!...lol! :P

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 01:20:43 pm »
Sometimes I wish Sophie's tail was cropped. Its long and very very thick... Its like a whip!!!  It hurts soooo bad when she hits you with it.. I'm talking welts all over my legs!!    ouch....Hurts just thinking about it...
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog