Author Topic: bald spots on newf dogs legs  (Read 3597 times)

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
bald spots on newf dogs legs
« on: February 21, 2007, 11:00:10 pm »
My almost year old female newf had spots that are bald on her legs.  They are not red or swollen, and she had been itching and shedding a lot.  Any suggestions?  We haven't taken her to the vet yet, am planning on talking to them in the am.
The spots are not completely bald but hair is thin.
Could it be an allergy to food or shampoo, or what?
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: bald spots on newf dogs legs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:57:03 am »
Could it be hot spots?  My other Newf used to get those, and the hair would thin there, along with skin irritation.  Good plan to get to the vet - we did it once and they showed us how to treat and prevent.  It helped a lot! 

Keep us posted!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:35:34 pm »
There is no reddening though, just balding spots.  I phoned the vets, two of them, and they told me two different things.  One said maybe a parasite and the other said maybe an allergic reaction to food of shampoo.  Most likely the food he figured.  I am going to change to lamb and rice and see if that makes a difference.  If not then it could be the shampoo.  I don't think that it is a parasite, but maybe.  Should get her tested anyways.  But the food is going to be changed first.
Thanks though.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 10:46:54 pm »
check whatever food you are currently using for the main ingredients... ..such as if the food you are using now has a lamb and rice base you should shoot for something with maybe fish and potato....or chicken and potato....i dunno.  it sounds like an allergy to me more so than the parasites....b ut then again i'm not a vet.  as far as food brands go...look for a brand called nature's recipe.  it specializes in food allergies.  it is wheat, corn, and beef free (those are some the the worst when is comes to containing allergens).
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox