Author Topic: Dog training tips  (Read 22044 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Dog training tips
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 03:13:23 pm »
hehe, you tell me!!!! I have a teenage daughter and I am try to figure out how to make her listen. I dont think sitting on her would quite do the trick though lol.....

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 05:00:03 pm »
Thanks again for the advice.  I'm definately going to try hot dogs.  The staying and coming are the real reasons I wanted to do the classes.  He has run across the street once and now when we are out walking sometimes he wants to go after cars.  He doesn't understand that they are dangerous, and i'm terrified something will happen.  He gets so many treats it is hard to think of one he really loves, so i'm going to try hotdogs.  That is a great idea. 
Unfortnately Seamus does outweigh me now, but we have been laying on him since he was tiny.  It is a struggle, but I can usually make him lie down after a while.  It does help to calm him down.  Do lie your dog on her side or back?  My fiance makes him lie on his back and makes Seamus look into his eyes.  That position is a little too hard for me so I lie my whole body on top of his while he is on his side.  But if the back position works better i'm sure I can make it work. 
I learned at his classes that when they are doing something you don't like (for example Seamus bites the couch when he wants attention) that you distract them by calling their name or making a loud noise, and then reward them JUST FOR STOPPING.   It has seemed to work.  He still does it, but it seems to be doing it a little less. 
The other question I had was about him favoring my fiance.  Is it b/c he thinks he is the alpha?  He really only gets to see him at night or on the weekends, so is it b/c he is a novelty?   I am with him most of the day and I feed him, walk him, take him out, everything!  As far as i'm concerned I should be his favorite!!!!  Let me know if anyone has any insight into this.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 05:08:16 pm »
I only use treats for training, like liver treats, all other times we use love and praise just for the everyday things.  They get lots of praise when training as well, but I use treats alot in the beginning stages.  As far as seming to favor your fiancee, Beauty was supposed to be Steve;s (husband's) baby and she bonded very strongly to me.  She loves everyone and would protect any of us, especially the children, but when it comes to "who's you mama?"  that would be me.  Aidan , our male Bonded to Steve, but just as with Beauty loves everyone.  He is less partial than Beauty, but you can definately see the special bond he has with Steve.  At times when we are training, and Aidan will not listen very well, I just get Steve and sometimes all he has to do is give Aidan "the look" and wham instant obedience.  Go figure, I wish it worked as well on the kids!  LOL ::)
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 01:40:39 pm »
hehe, it is funny how they work, the dogs I mean (the kids is a different story, not all that fun though lol) A friend of mine has the same situation, they have a German Shepherd, she is the one feeding, walking, going potty, brushing and doing everyghing else, but the  one the dog always sits right infront of and looks up at and adores is her husband, she is to the point where she is almost offended lol.... I keep telling her it is the same old story, kids have us mom do all the work and then they go play with daddy.

Marit

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 10:46:18 am »
Sometimes it really does offend me!  I was really hoping someone would have the answer.  I'm considering strapping raw meat to my body.  I bet he'll favor me then! ;D

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 11:31:47 am »
Ahhhhhh  ;D That's one I have never heard before, but I am sure you are right, if nothing else makes him pay attention to you, that will probably do it lol.....

But I do know how hard it is to work with a dog that does not look at you, dont listen and make you feel like you want to jank that leash real hard just to say "hey look here, I am talking to you" If the hotdog or any other treat you try doesnt work, it makes things more difficult. One rescue Border Collie I fostered and trained was pretty much the same, I took him to clicker training classes and granted it took quite awhile, but he did turn out very well, so dont give up hope,  hang in there and keep working with him.

Marit

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 01:57:28 pm »
In my house I do all the feeding, grooming, training ect. My husband plays with them. So if thier looking for something they look to "the momma". If I go out to care for the horses when its raining & leave the dogs in, my husband says they sit by the door & whine & cry. I think sometimes he gets a bit upset. I usually go to bed before him & all 3 dogs will be in their beds & the poor daddy is sitting on the couch by himself. Oh well maybe he should do some doggie chores!
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 06:03:19 pm »
You go girl!!!!!

Marit