Author Topic: I can't hardly stand the pain  (Read 11283 times)

Offline Shenac

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I can't hardly stand the pain
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:27:36 am »
 :'(I am in pain and can hardly stand it. It has been just over 6 months that I have had my Rottweiler cross Brandy that I adopted from our humane society.  Sadly, she has has some recent medical problems such as diarrhea (sp?) and vomiting.  She was not eating and was worrying me a lot.  Our vet thought that she might have gotten a stomach virus from me since I had been sick the week before and gave us antibiotics to cure the problems with her stomach.  Well, the virus left, but in it's place we were surprised to hear a heavy cough accompanied by vomiting or just wretching.  My husband took Brandy back to the vet seeing that she was having problems with her breathing.  The worst thing that a mommy can find out is that her baby has cancer.  Her liver is completely consumed by the tumor and it has spread to her lungs.  One lung is completely filled and the other isn't doing well.  She has a hard time breathing and sometimes with every breath, she whines.  I know that the vet gave her about 2 months, but it has advanced rapidly and I have come to the realization that my Brandy-bean will not be with us very long.  I feel like I am torn up inside and am having a very hard time with this one.  I have in the past had 3 other dogs that have had cancer.  One, Daisy a welsh corgie cross, had anal cancer at age 13 and the other,  Booda a Great Pyrenese cross had bone cancer at age 7.  Another dog, Sadie, a norweigan elkhound cross had a severe urinary tract infection that later proved to be cancer at age 13.  Of all the dogs that I have had, This one seems to be the hardest to deal with.  She is only 8 years old and had a hard life before we adopted her.  She had been in the shelter for about 6 months and her mate/brother (we're not really sure) had been separated from her and adopted out later.  I am hurting so bad about having to let go, but I know that her body will not repair itself.  Today, my husband made the appointment for Monday to release her of her pain.  I love her so much, but I have to say goodbye and it's killing me inside.  My only thought is that if she stayed at the shelter she would not have been here as long as she has. 

Shena :'(

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: I can't hardly stand the pain
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:34:56 am »
Oh, I am so sorry for what you and your girl are going through.  Small comfort now, but you're right- at least you took her from the shelter and gave her a great life and love.  You're in my thoughts.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:38:20 am »
I am so very sorry.  Words are so empty when you are losing a loved one.  I hope that your next days with her are filled with lots of snuggles and sloppy kisses.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 12:00:08 pm »
That is a hard pill to swallow.  I'm so sorry!!!  Brady seems too young for that kind of pain. At least she's had this time with a loving family.  :) 
We'll be thinking about you and your family.

Offline Shenac

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:03:49 pm »
Thank you - I knew this was the right place to come.  I have also sent an email with an update to the humane society where I adopted her.  They are always asking for updates on their adoptees but I know they don't look forward to hearing about pain and heart ache.

Shena

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:26:57 pm »
so sorry to hear about this happening to your baby!  sometimes the nicest thing a person can ever do for their companion is to end the pain and suffering, and just love them and let them love you back, though.  at least since you've had her with you, she's had the life of a queen!  please keep us updated!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:29:07 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:32:22 pm »
I am So sorry for what you are going thru...
***HUG***
Jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 02:23:09 pm »
I am so sorry you are going through this.  You gave Brandy such a wonderful gift though, you gave her a home where she was loved.  At least she will leave this earth having been loved and cared for by someone who knew she was special.
You and your precious Brandy are in my thoughts. 
I am kind of a big deal!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:28:11 pm »
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.  Just know that in her last months of life that you gave her more love and comfort then she could've ever asked for.  You will see her again at the Rainbow Bridge.

Please give her a little extra hug and kiss from me and Ranger.

Heather

Offline Shenac

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: I can't hardly stand the pain- Update on Brandy
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 05:48:06 pm »
 :'(
We made the decision today to relieve her pain.  My husband and I decided that she no longer could be comfortable in life.  At 4:45 pm, we allowed her to take that step to the Rainbow Bridge.  As hard as it was, it is a relief to know that she can now run, play and frolic as she did before she got sick.  My husband informed me that our vet had told him one lung had collapsed and the second was not in good shape.  When she laid on the bed, her breathing was labored.  Once off the bed and lying on the floor, each breath was followed by a gutteral moan.  This was the tell-tale sign that the time had come to give her relief.

Thank you again to all who helped me with this emotional and heart-wrenching decision.

RIP Brandy Bean, I'll always love you and miss you,

Shena

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 05:49:11 pm »
RIP Brandy, God Speed. :'(
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Shenac

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 05:49:48 pm »
 :'(
We made the decision today to relieve her pain.  My husband and I decided that she no longer could be comfortable in life.  At 4:45 pm, we allowed her to take that step to the Rainbow Bridge.  As hard as it was, it is a relief to know that she can now run, play and frolic as she did before she got sick.  My husband informed me that our vet had told him one lung had collapsed and the second was not in good shape.  When she laid on the bed, her breathing was labored.  Once off the bed and lying on the floor, each breath was followed by a gutteral moan.  This was the tell-tale sign that the time had come to give her relief.

Thank you again to all who helped me with this emotional and heart-wrenching decision.

Shena

Offline Shenac

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 05:50:46 pm »

Shena

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 06:16:50 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Doing the kindest thing is so often the hardest thing for us left behind.  My Barkley loves Rotties - I'm sure he'll be greeting your Brandy Bean with a big drool and a romp at the bridge.  Again - so sorry for your loss.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 11:35:36 am »
So sorry.xxx