Author Topic: New Here and To Pyrs  (Read 10432 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: New Here and To Pyrs
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 04:48:39 pm »
Hi Patti!  Welcome to BPO and Pyrs. You boy is so cute! I have three pyrs.  Sugar Bear is my big baby boy and 2 1/2 years old.  Dixie Darlin' is my 2 year old "Alpha" girl. My baby is Penny Lane who is 7 months and a total Mommy's girl.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 05:13:29 pm »
Pyr puppies seem to adjust easily no matter where you drop them off.  Our Pyrs used to love the cats when we had them- they have very little prey drive and the cats teach them whatever manners they needed to know.  The key to Pyr pups is to socialize socialize socialize during puppyhood.  And a word of wisdom is that you MUST have a securely fenced area as they WILL wander off.  Many people think they can train their Pyr to stick around but as that puppy grows it ain't going to happen.  They are bred to cover huge tracts of land and you just can't overcome 2000 years of genetics.  Very pretty puppy by the way

Well I didn't realize that they roam  :o.  That will be a problem as we have no fences around us at all .  So far he is doing great and just sticking around the front yard and on the porch when he is outside.  When our big guy runs off chasing something he just sits and watches with is great.  i sure hope he keeps doing that as there is no chance of us fencing in any of the property.

Oh by the way we named him OTIS  ;D
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

marypyrs

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 08:03:57 pm »
There is a saying. And believe me it holds true. "What do you call a Pyr off leash? A DIS-A-PYR! Or - GONE! :'(

To me, these are the most wonderful dogs in the World. After having lived with them for over 40 years I have great respect and admiration for the breed and the Spirit within. These dogs go back many thousands of years.

Otis is a very pretty boy. And I know you love him dearly. But = You will have to do fencing or dedicate yourself to walking him on a lead. Otherwise - there will be problems and perhaps disaster. Pyrs DO NOT KNOW BOUNDARIES. I live on 125 acres and it is all "Pyr Fenced". I wouldn't have it any other way.

I look forward to more pictures of your Otis. Watch him carefully when he is out on his own. The "Pyr" kicks in all of a sudden.  :-\

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 08:33:13 pm »
Otis is a cutie.  Welcome to the board.  I'm Kat and I'm owned by Kaila, Cinder, and Shiner.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 06:35:30 pm »
Welcome to the board and to the world of Pyrs.Marypyrs is right- they roam. I just finished an entire weekend of fencing a couple of acres to make sure mine are safe. I love Pyrs ( and danes and newfs, but back to the Pyrs)
 they are incredibly smart, independent guardians. Congrats on Otis and continue to post pics.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 01:04:24 pm »
Pyr puppies seem to adjust easily no matter where you drop them off.  Our Pyrs used to love the cats when we had them- they have very little prey drive and the cats teach them whatever manners they needed to know.  The key to Pyr pups is to socialize socialize socialize during puppyhood.  And a word of wisdom is that you MUST have a securely fenced area as they WILL wander off.  Many people think they can train their Pyr to stick around but as that puppy grows it ain't going to happen.  They are bred to cover huge tracts of land and you just can't overcome 2000 years of genetics.  Very pretty puppy by the way

Well I didn't realize that they roam  :o.  That will be a problem as we have no fences around us at all .  So far he is doing great and just sticking around the front yard and on the porch when he is outside.  When our big guy runs off chasing something he just sits and watches with is great.  i sure hope he keeps doing that as there is no chance of us fencing in any of the property.

Oh by the way we named him OTIS  ;D
Welcome! I am Olesya, the proud mama of Great Pyrenees Lily. She is almost 8 months old. This is my first Pyr but I have learned a lot about the breed before hand and I am still learning every day ...amaizing dogs! I have to agree with everyone ...no off leash walking in open area! My girl was following me everywhere and wouldn't roam until about 5 months of age and when I realized that she is not paying attention to me I can't catch her anymore she turned into a wonderful dog on leash. The breed is very calm and long walks are good anough to keep them in shape.
Good luck! Your pup is adorable!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 03:47:24 pm »
By the way, I forgot to mention (so did everyone else) that Pyrs bark (A LOT!) and dig holes (big ones!). I always keep my girl inside at night and never leave her along in the backyard. Even 5 minutes by herself and I get to see a picture of a "pig in the dirt", LOL...but it's a happy pig!
So here is the conclusion: Pyrs bark alot, dig holes, wander off, shed and very hard to train! Other then that they are just wonderful dogs. Doesn't it sound like a joke? And every Pyr owner would be happy to get another, and another, and another one. We are so pathetic!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 04:51:20 pm »
Welcome! I'm Jenn & mom to 3 y.o. Pyr Bo and 2 1/2 y.o. Lab/Chow/Border Collie mix Floyd.  Pyrs are GREAT dogs, but are different than your standard Golden Retriever-type dog.  They are exceptionally smart.  They learn fast (both what they like & don't like), but are very independent.  Bo's motto is "You are not the boss of me...I will consider what you are asking me to do but I reserve the right to ignore you completely".  They roam, shed, dig and bark.  We learned the hard way that not all neighbors appreciate the warning bark of  Pyr and we can't let Bo outside after dark (unsupervised) because she often wakes the neighborhood (and sometimes neighboring counties-she's got BIG lungs)!  They are stoic (at times) but incredibly protective and loyal to their family.  Bo has been a blessing and a challenge to me, a first time dog owner, but I have learned so much about myself from having her in my life that I wouldn't trade her for anything.  I have learned to adapt to her very special personality and to not put her in situations where she might be frightened or intimidated. 
Did I also mention that Bo is a therapy dog?  Aside from the challenges of the breed, they also bring a wonderful sense of peace and calm to people with their gentle eyes and soft coats!
Welcome to the club...your life will never be the same!!
Jenn, Bo & Floyd in California
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 11:58:28 pm »
So here is the conclusion: Pyrs bark alot, dig holes, wander off, shed and very hard to train! Other then that they are just wonderful dogs. Doesn't it sound like a joke? And every Pyr owner would be happy to get another, and another, and another one. We are so pathetic!!!

You know it is funny but I thought that I had done so much research on dogs to come to the conclusion that Pyrs were the dog for our family and not once in anything did I read did they say they barked, lots, dug, wandered, or are hard to train  :o.  Oh man wht have I let myself into??

Well anyway, my husband and I were up until 9:30 last night constructing a fence around the old playhouse we emptied so Otis has a nice safe place to be while we aren't home.  Unfortuneately we can't fence in the whole property so we will just have to cross fingers for when he is abit older and hope that our Saint can teach him abit of what is acceptable.  Luckily we live out of town so if he does roam he has lots of bush to explore.

Apart from him not listening and piddling on the carpet (he is now restricted to the laminate) we love him dearly.  It is funny but at night he is locked in our bathroom and he wakes me up to go out pee.  He hasn't made a mess in there but when he is in the in the house it is like as soon as he steps foot on the carpet he has to pee??  Oh I forgot how much work puppies are  ;D.

I sure have appreciated all your advice and stories.  Please keep them coming.  I am feeling that I am in totally uncharted territory here and it is abit daunting  :-\

Here are acouple of pictures i took of him this weekend  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 12:00:26 am by Saint Pyr »
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.