Author Topic: Double Dew Claws Question  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Double Dew Claws Question
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:03:47 am »
What other breeds have the double dew claws?

Yesterday, I was sent to our local animal control to identify another breed (for a breed specific rescue) and came across a very young, small puppy. He had very short hair, his body mostly tan with darker brown markings across his eyes and snout, white along the tip. But, what struck me most of all was his double dew claws in the back. This guy is little... no more then 6-7lbs right now and I'd guess about 8 weeks

Any ideas on different breeds? Any smaller/medium size breeds?

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Double Dew Claws Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:04:34 pm »
I've been playing with Beaucerons lately (new job-guard dogs) and those rear dew claws are very awkward looking, they are loose and floppy :P Do you guys have them removed from your Pyrs? The owner of the Beaucerons leaves them on to prove that they are purebred.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Double Dew Claws Question
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »
We never remove them- although they appear to not be attached they actually do have a bony connection and an abundant blood supply  Surgery to remove is not that minor and they can have a difficult time healing.  In 20 years I have never had a dew claw injury- the surgery is far worse than the miniscule risk of injury.