Author Topic: What kind of dog shampoo ?  (Read 14191 times)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
What kind of dog shampoo ?
« on: July 08, 2005, 08:15:25 pm »
I'm looking for a good shampoo for my fur kids. Any suggestions are appreciated :)
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of dog shampoo ?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 09:50:51 pm »
You may have read on here, that I am a groomer (not working now though) But there are lots of shampoos I like, depending on what you want the shampoo to do. Medicated, anti itch, odor control, hypo allergenic. So many different kinds. BUT as for a shampoo to use on a regular basis I think I like the oatmeal shampoos best, they are good for skin and coat and does a good job. You have plenty of different brands, I still buy lots of things from my catalogs and buy the gallon size ones, but basically any brand of oatmeal would do as a basic shampoo. I am not sure if you can find the kind you dillute in a pet store, I use them and like because depending on how dirty they are you can dillute more or less.

Marit

what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 11:27:36 pm »
Oatmeal shampoo for dogs? HaHa ok, I am an old grotchety okee at heart.  I have always used baby shampoo so eyes will not burn and they got good and clean.  Flea dip is a different story but good old cheap baby shampoo for all the time is good.  My dogs get clean by jumping in the irrigation ditch.  What a simple uneducated umph I am.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 08:48:16 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a variety of dogs. The hounds tend to be a little oiley and get the houndy smell and the siberians coats sometimes seems dry. I checked out Spectrum's sight and they seem like a good company. I think I will need 2 different kinds of shampoo.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 03:25:46 pm »
I asked a Newfie exhibitor at a show, what she bathed her dog in as his coat was stunning, she told me she just uses whatever shower gel ect she has in her bathroom at the time ;D... she never buys dog shampoos.

Shelley
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Get to know us! - Sarah & Eric
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 06:06:54 pm »
I asked a Newfie exhibitor at a show, what she bathed her dog in as his coat was stunning, she told me she just uses whatever shower gel ect she has in her bathroom at the time ;D... she never buys dog shampoos.

Shelley

;D :D ;D That's so great!
"If you want the best seat in the house ... move the dog"

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 11:11:02 pm »
We use "Mane & Tail" shampoo and conditioner on Kate.  I believe it was first formulated for horses, but it's in the "people shampoo" isle.  Works great - smells great - moisturizes too!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 12:48:02 am »
I'll second the Mane & Tail.. Works great, dogs look & smell good.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 12:55:02 am »
Jaime and I have a Newfie with super sensitive skin and have tried dozens of different shampoos all of which made his skin break out worse than then the last. Ended up picking up Head & Shoulders one day just to see how it would work on an ultra-sensitive dog and it turns out it is the only product he is tolerant of. It's really cheap compared to dog shampoos and  it smells great! And because the price is so low comparitively, he always gets a really good lather as we usually end up using half a bottle on him. Anyway, thats our input. Every dog is different!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 01:02:46 am »
That's funny Michael because I have 2 cats with dandruff & I finally tried Head & shoulders on them out of sheer frustration... It works like a charm & keeps them dandruff free for weeks!

cricket36580

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 12:48:26 pm »
I use a homemade bar soap that has neem, lemongrass and aloe.  It's been WONDERFUL, very soft coats and the oils in it don't dry skin out.  If you're interested I'll give you the lady's email.  I think it's $3 for the bar but I'm not sure.  You'd have to ask her.  I get several things at once so...  I like the holistic stuff in general but you have to be very careful.  I know this lady very well and I know she doesn't put any chemicals in it.  I have used it myself too...but I smelled like a lemon afterwards.  I've even used it to wash my own hair.  <grin>  Made it VERY clean!  And no flakey, ashy skin either....

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 05:57:54 pm »
I'll second the Mane & Tail.. Works great, dogs look & smell good.

And I'll third the Mane 'N Tail.  Great stuff, people give such nice compliments to us about Drake's coat.  You can find it at Safeway and most pet stores.  It is designated for Horses, but Drake is sort of a small horse so it all makes sense.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:58:51 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.